where to place down firing sub

InVeNtOr

i have the ksw-12 sub. i am building a media room and i would like some input on the placement of the sub. VISUALLY i would like to place the sub behind the chairs so i don't SEE it. the only down fall to that is buying the 60' sub cable (around $300). do you get a better feel of the sub if it is placed front center, front right (or left), or behind you? i would think behind you it would FEEL better (maybe just louder). this is something i don't want to have to do twice, because i would have to buy the cable and then run it.

input would be appreciated,

thanks again

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could probably find a nice sub cable that costs a lot less than $300.

A sub's placement in the room is critical to how loud it sounds and how well it blends with the other speakers and how it interacts with the room itself. There's no way to know what setup is best unless you try experimenting with different places. Putting it in a corner will increase the output quite a bit but the tradeoff is that many times it will sound too boomy or will create large peaks and valleys in the lower bass frequency range.

Do you have a entertainment center that you could place it behind or beside so that it wasn't as noticeable?

i was afraid of that answer. no i will have a 3d pic of the room up in a little while. it's all open. the sub can go beside the et center but you will see the et center is very small. so there is really no real way to tell where it should go. i gave an estimate of $300 because the cable is $35 for 6' and i would need almost 60.' i would only get that cable from cable solutions or blue jeans. they both sell great stuff. i won't buy anthing but canare cables anyway.

i guess i just might have to get a real price quote from one of the companys and see how much it is worth to have it behind me.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend used this cable from monoprice.com for a KSW-12 in the rear of his room. RG-6 and seemed well built. Only $12.00 for 50'. You could try it with a 50' and a 12' with a coupler. If you don't like it, you have 3 weeks to send it back for full refund and no restocking fee. Mr friend's works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023602&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2&style=

i should check on my own treads more often. after a voyage to EQ's house and some discussions with him and falcon, i quickly realize, along with you fine gentleman, the sub behind (directly is a bad idea). it is still going in the rear of the room but near the et center in the corner. that way i should get a better sound out of it. it will also allow for a shorter cable which should save me some money.

thanks guys for the input!

i have the ksw-12 sub. i am building a media room and i would like some input on the placement of the sub. VISUALLY i would like to place the sub behind the chairs so i don't SEE it. the only down fall to that is buying the 60' sub cable (around $300). do you get a better feel of the sub if it is placed front center, front right (or left), or behind you? i would think behind you it would FEEL better (maybe just louder). this is something i don't want to have to do twice, because i would have to buy the cable and then run it.

input would be appreciated,

thanks again

Not everyone agrees with the following white papers but there are some strong arguements for their suggestions.

Its a good read and there are other good white papers here that are discussed in relatively plain English.

Hope this helps.

http://www.harman.com/about_harman/technology_leadership.aspx

i looked at monoprice, does anyone know what type of manufacture makes the RCA connectors? are they crimp or solder? if someone knows, let me know please or i will call them monday morning to find out. i am a big canare fan because the connectors are crimp and from working on aircraft, crimp connectors will always beat solder, especially when you add time to the equation.

west, i looked at those white pages. i don't have the money for 4 subs but 2 might be possable. according to their research, for 2 subs they suggest one dead front and back. i am looking into getting svs's subs. if i have to put one dead center front, then the tube design is out, i might go for the square.

i looked at monoprice, does anyone know what type of manufacture makes the RCA connectors? are they crimp or solder? if someone knows, let me know please or i will call them monday morning to find out. i am a big canare fan because the connectors are crimp and from working on aircraft, crimp connectors will always beat solder, especially when you add time to the equation.

west, i looked at those white pages. i don't have the money for 4 subs but 2 might be possable. according to their research, for 2 subs they suggest one dead front and back. i am looking into getting svs's subs. if i have to put one dead center front, then the tube design is out, i might go for the square.

Blue Jean Cables uses Beldin Cable with Canare connectors. Many of us use their cables and they are fairly priced.

Great service and broadcast quality.

I used Monoprice cables when I built my HT and have not regretted it. Unfortunately at the time I had a subwoofer monster cable (before I became loyal to monoprice) that I ran backwards. I did not think it mattered which way a rca connection was headed, but with that monster cable it did. I already had the sheet rock up as well. Can we say live and learn?

I think what is happening here is that because low frequency sources are generally regarded as omnidirectional (ideally), that the source is not localizeable...Two very different things.

Oh, and in direct answer to the stated question, I would place it on the floor. [;)]

I would put in on the front wall, on the floor, cognizant of its distance to the wall and to the listening position for both loading, reflective superposition, and signal alignment with the mains.