anyone else get to a point where ?????????

. Today they join the army, if they are too poor to go to college and not smart enough for financial aid!

This is complete hogwash!! To avoid the draft all you had to be is in college!! Besides the draft ended when??? Were talking about the 70's and early 80's here. The draft had dwindled into nothing after the Veitnam war... Also anyone can get finaicial aid/loans today for college all they have to do is pass the classes. Full of sh!t as always. I can not believe your insulting the current arm service people fighting in the field. Todays US Military is the best trained force this world has ever seen. Someone steps out of line today with drugs or drinking and they are out of the service fast. That was not the case in the era were discussing.

Craig

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah........   I had tubes for a short while.  I had tubes blow out.  Old tubes, new tubes, and NOS tubes.  I had tubes that actually function normally but sounded bad.  I too had to have the equipment serviced.  It got to the point that I was almost afraid to turn on the stereo for fear of what I might see or hear.  The Mrs. got real tired of the tube money pit no matter how nicely they glowed.  I went back to high end SS with Accuphase equipment (E530) and have not looked back or regretted the decision once.

I just don't understand this.  What tube gear are you guys buying that keeps crapping out on you?  Are you making sure stuff is brought back to spec or better before using on a regular basis?  When I go home at night and turn on my system, it never even crosses my mind that something will go wrong.  It just doesn't happen.

I do not understand this at all. A tube here or there once a year a the most is a minor inconvenience. And my power amp and integrtaed are over 40 years old, although very new from the work Craig performed. 

I ran Cary equipment and it was not their product it was the tubes.  I blew rectifiers, power tubes and some other little tube that chirped when it died.  The KT 90 really toasted up pretty.  I did inquire here about the problem.  I was told it was rare.  I believe that it was rare.  But that did not change the facts.  Apparently I live under a tube cloud or it's my ultra-magnetic personality screwing them up.  But it is indeed a true story.

I went back to high end SS with Accuphase equipment (E530) and have not looked back or regretted the decision once.

===============

Looking at build quality and design Accuphase seems pretty top shelf stuff. I have studied their CD players more than amps but would pick up one of their used CD players on a deal.

Something about Cary I cannot put my finger on but they are not without some criticism on reliability. With tube amps if the design expects too much from the tube, you are going to have issues.

Analogy...

Bridgestone tires on my sons Saturn are quite safe from blow outs and reliable for 40,000 miles of service. How long they gonna last on Ford F 350 Super Duty truck?

• Moderators

Craig,

Not trying to be glib but where else would you expect to find drugs "in a small town outside of Oscoda, Michigan" and how else would you expect these folks to entertain themselves? No...seriously.

All us locals entertained ourselves just fine without drugs............. plenty to do besides get stones and drunk up in the north country. Besides the problems were on ALL MILITARY BASES large town or big town made little difference. Many small towns have military bases today and these problems are none existent for the most part. The 70's and early 80's were a very dark period for the US military from top to bottom just coming off the VN war and all.

Dang right, everyone I have ever met from Michigan could do 3 things really well: Drink, Hunt and Fish. Most could do all three at the same time.

Travis

Well, I haven't seen much of Michigan outside of their fine airports and a weekend at Crystal Lakes(?). My comments were based on personal experience. Back in the early 80's when I was in college in North Carolina, we'd drive down to the beach and stop off in a small town outside of Jacksonville - home of the marines' Camp Lejeune. While the marines were constantly being piss-tested, their wives and girlfriends (there weren't many females in the marines back then) had little else to do in the area but stay as high and drunk as humanly possible. Folks in the little towns outside of Jacksonville must've been doing quite well keeping the drugs flowing and it was a fairly well-known (at least in the colleges) that these were the best places to go if pot, etc. was on the shopping list. I think the police must have finally figured it out 'cause I began to see more road checks in the area - complete with the K-9 patrol.

Yea well I bet the quality of the technicians could of had something to do with the equipment problem with the tube gear used in the Military! Heck back in those days the military would take anyone with a heart beat and many didn't even have high school diploma's. Then factor in that the gear was most likely from the 2nd world war era and used 24/7 for all those years. It's not like the US military was at the top of their game in the 70's and 80's. Heck a good number of the recruits at are local air force base in the late 70's early 80's were stoned out of minds most of the time! Anyone swinging credentials trained by the US military in the 70's and 80's sure doesn't hold much weight with me.

While you will get no argument from me that tube gear requires more care then solid state the way its being portrayed by many in this thread is just totally false. Talk about agenda's..............these same [bs] arguments have been around since SS arrived in the late 60's. It really is to bad it sounded like sh!t then and still does for the most part today. When is the last time you heard a tube amp advertised as sounding like SS? You sure hear the reverse all the time.

Craig

With all due respect Craig, I think you are making some very poor generalizations. I have worked as a civilan scientist with the Navy and have known a number of folks who started out in the Navy back in the 80s.

Yes, the miltary is a reflection of society and with that comes the various problems that society has in general. I also agree that some of the gear was old by our standards. However, I witnessed some real dedication and brain power by navy personnel in making things work, and work well.

No one has said it yet, but I will. I think you need to reconsider some of your generalizations and offer an apology. Those generalizations are a diservice.

-Tom