Double CDs issued in a single case

jacksonbart

Ok, I am the only one? When a band/group/artist/etc releases a double CD in a single case, the GD thing always breaks! The Box set of The Doors Greatest Hits works for me as mine is really two seperate CD cases put together,but look at say anything released in the past 5 years and its always one CD case wide with a flimsey plastic case that contains both the CDs inside and the damn thing breaks off the cover the first or second time you attempt to extract either CD. Look my hands are pretty nimble as I have RF7s and have not broken the covers yet. I can't be the only one. No this is not an endorsement of vinyl,by any means, except the covers are cool, but storage is a pain. Music servers are the way to go. This is simply a bad design. Why not issue CDs in cardboard sleeves?

post-16829-13819326450756_thumb.jpg

In a local music shop, I recently picked up a 4-CD set of Stephane Grappelli tunes from Membran for only $15.99CAD. Membran have a series of 4-CD sets (from many famous artists) in cases that are barely thicker than single-CD cases! They're at www.membran.net and they call them the Quadromania series.

This one is marked "24 bit 96 kHz High-End Mastering" and includes music from 1935 to 1991. All the music, even the earliest, sounds really clear and the case doesn't seem as delicate as many double cases. The CD case comes in a heavy paper sleeve, so the plastic case isn't even getting scratched.

I agree they are trying to save money, just baught a 2 cd compelation today "Sing when your Swinging" goodies from 30'S and 40's. 2 cases but when I opened the darn thing I was greeted with the small plastic "doo hickies" that keep the cd stable in the middle. At least the CD did not get scratched.

I can suggest this CD, music from 1938 to about 1948 sweet and hot Swing, digitally remastered from Delta music. Only 32 songs though.

Yea, the Pomp & Pipes? I just clicked thru a bit to get a taste. Not very interesting. Sort of like movie music-ish. The Starker? plays Kodaly is probably the worst sounding cd I own with hiss, etc. that I don't think I can listen to it. The others I've not tried yet. So far, I'm looking for a whole album of what's on the intro (standup acoustic bass using bow) to "Mr. Krinkle" by Primus. LOL

I agree with the dislike for the cardboard cases. Two of the worst I've seen in recent years are Springsteen's 2-CD Seeger sessions and Neil Young's recent archival releases. The disks are impossible to get out without touching the disk surface and the disks themselves always have defects right out of the packaging from being in direct contact with the paper. If the record companies insist on paper, they should at least include the plastic spindle on the inside to protect the disk. I can only assume the intent is to show the artist's earth-friendly approach to the CD manufacturing process. As much as I like leaving my disks in the original cases, I usually take the CDs from cardboard packaging and place them into a CD binder--anything is better than putting them back into the cardboard case.

And, they don't fit well in cd racks, car cd slots, etc. The corners also tend to wear, etc. I've not had that many problems with 2-cd sets like above. Works OK for me.

But - am I the only one who has problems removing CDs from their middle holder thing? Some of them are so difficult that I fear I'm going to crack the disc. Course, I have issues with getting the plastic/stickers off of new purchases as well. :) Maybe it's me.

Like others here I tend to keep lots of space empty cases that you can buy at most computer outlets.

Talking of computers - however bad an audio CD is boxed computer CD's are far worse and totally non standard. I spend a ridiculous sum on a piece of software only to find the Cd's come in envelopes (paper or cardboard) which cant offer much protection to the disk. Not only that but it I do decide to decant the disk into a proper jeweled box the back of the envelope has some essential number that I then need to store elsewhere. You know the sort of thing PHJCB-34FGH-DVDFM-104RF-99GGH-34TFG etc. etc.

Try writing that on the back of a jewelled case in Q-tip that you can read a year later.

Then - when you have installed the damn software there is a message that a newer version is available and you download another 200 Mb of files to replace the thing you just installed (this rant will go on a while's - I will stop typing it now however.)