Go Figure....

Tarheel

I purchased a Harman Kardon Award Series receiver from an Audiogon seller about two weeks ago. The HK was advertised as "mint...Collectable" and sure enough it is. I unplugged my tubed mono amps and tubed preamp and plugged in my new (45 year old receiver). The seperates cost roughly ten times as much as the HK. I have been listening to the HK extensively over the last twelve days....through my hybrid LS. You can guess where this is going. The HK smokes the competition! I really lke everything about my seperates but the HK sound is incredible. Just so happens an order of LPs came about the same time...some Roosevelt "Baby Face" Willette and Cannonball Adderly with Miles Davis and Art Blakey....all good recordings.

I can't part with either so now I am in the market for a switch that I can go back and forth without unplugging everything. Got any recommendations about switches?

Wish I had bought the HK first....could have saved a lot of $.

Chuck

It is perplexing. I too have had a similar experience. While I did not have tube seperates, I do have some high end SS gear that I first thought my new rig sounded better than. After further consideration, my new rig sounds better at some things, but not everthing.

I do like my new rig better though as it is close to the Scotch Bar, now stocked with 29 different selections of scotch[:D], one recliner placed in the sweet spot, guitars on the back wall, tv (small 19"[:@]) to watch the ball games. Heck with all that my rig could be a emerson clock radio and I would be happy!

I'm like OB, I wonder if time will reveal the same thought to you.

I purchased a Harman Kardon Award Series receiver from an Audiogon seller about two weeks ago. The HK was advertised as "mint...Collectable" and sure enough it is. I unplugged my tubed mono amps and tubed preamp and plugged in my new (45 year old receiver). The seperates cost roughly ten times as much as the HK. I have been listening to the HK extensively over the last twelve days....through my hybrid LS. You can guess where this is going. The HK smokes the competition! I really lke everything about my seperates but the HK sound is incredible. Just so happens an order of LPs came about the same time...some Roosevelt "Baby Face" Willette and Cannonball Adderly with Miles Davis and Art Blakey....all good recordings.

I can't part with either so now I am in the market for a switch that I can go back and forth without unplugging everything. Got any recommendations about switches?

Wish I had bought the HK first....could have saved a lot of $.

Chuck

sorry for my ignorance but what hk did you buy?

Niles makes all sorts of switches...are you looking for line-level or speaker level? or both?

Mike....I am looking for a box that would allow you to plug in 2 or 3 amps and then switch between amps maintaining the same volume using 1 pair of speakers. Bluesboy and I thought of having a vintage amp shootout since he has a Fisher and is buying a Sherwood, and I have the new HK Award Series FA 30XK receiver. We were inspired to try this by the recent thread on the best vintage tube amps where eveyone had favorites. Thanks for the tip about Niles switches. BTW....this receiver is being sold in kit form by Audioclassics for $1499. I talked with Frank Gow who works there and they have 1 in stock ready to go. Frank is the son of the founder ? of McIntosh.

Buckster.....I got the HK and plugged it in immediately. I actually listened 2 or 3 hours a night for 3 nights in a row. This tiny little receiver had me pulling out cds and lps left and right. I couldn't believe my ears...so I listened for several more days alternating between watching basketball and listening to music. I know what you are saying and I am giving the Quicksilver equipment another chance this weekend. Whichever components win they are all staying with me. Part of the intrigue with the HK is that it survived 45 years with nary a scratch and everything works as it should. The phono section is the equal to my preamp and is switchable lo to high.

Phil...we have got to do something about that scotch collection....did I mention I drink scotch too? Danville isn't that far away and I could visit my friends the Slacks who live there[:)]

Chuck

Max...the HK is a tubed receiver but keep in mind it is 45 years old. This is a tube vs tube comparison...old vs new...seperates vs all in 1 box. That said...the Quicksilver Horn Monos are 2-3 years old and the Full Fuction Preamp is about 5 years old. Though the HK has survived 45 years...can it survive day to day usage...time will tell. I could probably sell the Quicksilver on Audiogon for $1700 and if the HK crashes I would have to buy something else to replace it...so I think I will just keep everything. I may have been a little generous using the term "smokes it" but the HK is certainly warmer with more personality than the more neutral Horn Monos. Is this a good thing? To my ears....yes. Others may say the sound is too warm. There is one thing the Horn Monos do as well as any amps that I have heard...they are dead quite with horn speakers...possibly due to the design/gain issue. Mike Sander built them for himself originally to use with his horn speakers.

I am not very computer savvy or I would bring up the link to the Sterophile review on the monos and you could probably make more sense out of it than I can. It makes for a very interesting read. I will give you a way to get there in case you are interested. Go to Quicksilveraudio.com... under products select Horn Monos...then click on the Stereophile review.

I know you are good at finding links and I have not been able to find out anything on the HK except the add for the kit version...with no specs. Help me if you have the time.

Chuck

What can I say? HK made some really good stuff. They still do. Check out their new receivers...

edwinr....based on my assessment of this receiver you must be right....no complaints here.

Arfandbark....it is a tubed receiver.....am and fm work fine as well...my first HK component.

If anyone has any info on this receiver let me know....haven't found much in my search....Audioclassics has a manual in the kit box but don't want to break the seal...can't blame them.

Chuck

Danville isn't that far away and I could visit my friends the Slacks who live there[:)]

What are you saying? Danville has even MORE slackers than Phil??

[6]

You won't catch me saying anything bad about Phil after what he said about me and OB....as Buckster said...Phils got good taste. So Coytee...its a plan...we all meet at Phil's house for the games, music and 29 selections of scotch? You're not that far away.

Chuck