WAY OT: Help me, I need advice on helping a friend

Coytee

I just read this out loud and now my wife is laughing, telling me to tell you (Travis) that "even though my (hers) opinion doesn't count, I think you are dead on" (that's a direct quote from her)

!!!

The response forms don't rate each or any speaker... I'll have to add that part in. Good idea!

• Moderators

I just read this out loud and now my wife is laughing, telling me to tell you (Travis) that "even though my (hers) opinion doesn't count, I think you are dead on" (that's a direct quote from her)

!!!

The response forms don't rate each or any speaker... I'll have to add that part in. Good idea!

To Coytee's Wife: I swear that was taken out of context.[:$] The spouse's opinion, at least with mine, is what is most important to me. However, we were trying to come up with a way to tell the partner his son is goofy. Since the partner does not see what it patently obvious to everyone else, he probably is not going to change his mind with Coytee's opinion, or your opinion, etc. Your opinion is critically important in Coytee deciding whether the situation has to change, that the son is too big of drain, etc. It wouuld be to me. However, the normal dynamics between business partners, their children, etc. being what they are, your opinion would not be importnat to the partner in determining whether his son was doing a good job. My point is that given his inability to judge his son's antics, I think the only opinion what would get through to him is that of prospective clients.

Travis

• Moderators

Coytee,

Here are some links to speaker evaluation forms, they can all be modified to your situation.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/macosx2004/mac04_speaker_evaluation.doc

http://edr.ucsd.edu/pdf/Evaluation.doc

http://www.bu.edu/bioinformatics/seminars/speaker_evaluation.html

http://dept.ju.edu/math/Faculty/faculty_pages/Crawford_teaching/In-class%20Speaker%20Evaluation%20Form.doc

I did not look at them too close, but I think I like the first and last ones the best.

Travis

What Travis said:

"and you hear a lot of surprising things when you ask for feedback. Be prepared for that as well."

Amen to that. I've had it both ways, a feeling of total failure followed by a great response, and finishing up with a feeling of triumph and on top of the world only to receive nasty feedback and poor results. Be prepared when going through a stack of comment cards.

Coytee - I didn't finish reading your post & didn't read the responses cuz I have to get to bed.... But reading the above post, it seems doing a survey might have been proposed. Then if he's lacking, it would reflect in the feedback/survey which you can present to the father. Though it sounds like you need to triage the situation now..... But couldn't you talk directly to the son about chilling out a tad?

OR, He might become a fact of life, and you will have to learn to live with it........Chances are good that his weakness will become apparent to him some time, and you could play the waiting game, be quiet, and let nature take it's course, and not cause any friction between you and your partner. Sometimes, the only thing people understand, is the LOSS OF MONEY, then they wake up....just stay on top of the losses.......

I assume your partner or his son does not listen to Klipsch or post on this website?

You are correct. Now... if I were busy posting on the bose forum...I'd be in for a world of hurt!

Good luck with your problem. No doubt in a matter of time your partner will come to a similiar conclusion as you or his son will loose permanent interest.