Parts Express

I dropped an order for about $400 at Parts Express during lunch yesterday. They shot an email back saying that the order went out the door yesterday afternoon. I bet they show up today or Monday (Dayton is one day UPS from Indy). I love this place.

Got dualie banana plugs, 6x9's for my Accord, some caps for experiementation, and WHEELS for my MCM's and LSI's ! Gonna build dollies for all the beasts residing in the garage.

Anyone else got any fun misc. projects in the works for these sunny weekends?

Michael

Yea, I buy from them often, their service is great. I once bought a optical to coax converter from them that did not work. I called them and they told me throw it away and they sent me a new one.

rigma

"Anyone else got any fun misc. projects in the works for these sunny weekends? "

Oil and trans fluid changes on my 5 cars.

I do them in sync with daylight savings.

This time around I'm trying Royal Purple Synthetic for engine oil and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (merceron).

I have them drop the trans pan yearly and change the filter. I saved my self 3k in a trans rebuild one year when a rebuild shop said I needed trans rebuild service and after taking it to jiffy lube, it turned out to be a clogged trans oil filter. 59 bucks per car to have jiffy lube to change the trans oil filter and add 5 qts is money well spent.

If I get thru all the services, maybe I'll install some new xovers in my khorns.

Gonna build me a tapped horn subwoofer when I find the free time. I'll probably be designing some crazy trippy wireless location sensing to be used on a robot next year as well as an RF-ID system to be used with plants. Man I love college (finally getting to the good stuff).

Sounds good guys, especially Doc loving college now! and 5 cars SF? You running a rental agency or what?

Can you belive it, I got home from Trey's at 5 and my order was HERE! Sadly my Pioneer kevlar 6x9's for the Accord were backordered, but they were about 40% off on sale. Got all my wheelies and WAFFLE GRILLES for my Forte's Passives. Been reading and hearing too many horror stories, so for about $10 total per pair, I'm going to protect my lovelies.

Back out to finish the lawn, hopefully the marsh has dried out by now.

Y'all have a fun weekend!

M

Gonna build me a tapped horn subwoofer when I find the free time. I'll probably be designing some crazy trippy wireless location sensing to be used on a robot next year as well as an RF-ID system to be used with plants. Man I love college (finally getting to the good stuff).

Doctor,

Could you say more about the tapped horn sub? I'm guessing I have missed a thread where you have described this. Sounds like an interesting project. Oh yeh, please type slow so I can understand.

Colter,

Yeh, I have never been disappointed with service from PE. Have fun with the wheelie things. That will have to make life easier getting the beasties out of the garage.

Could you say more about the tapped horn sub? I'm guessing I have missed a thread where you have described this. Sounds like an interesting project. Oh yeh, please type slow so I can understand.

Basically it's a hornloaded sub with a mouth that is too small, which means it can take up way less space. The downside is some craziness to the frequency response, but the "tapping" of the horn is supposed to fix that.

http://www.diy.cowanaudio.com/th.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97674&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

colterphoto1

"You running a rental agency or what?"

No, but I have three teens and I am from the school where I take away all excuses...you now have wheels...get a job.

It seems to be working.

Just to talk of Parts Express: I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Service is always good and they get my business, again and again.

Once there was a problem when I was buying some EV 1824 drivers. The diaphragms rather than the driver arrived. This stemmed from an oddball error in the part number. I kept the diaphragms but they said the driver was no longer available. Then a fellow there went the extra mile to scrounge up some returned units and sold them to me at a discount.

Lesson: if there is any problem on their end, they do an excellent job. They might be able to solve problems which they don't create too.

Gil

Dr. Who wrote about a tapped bass horn.

I believe these are relatively small conical horns with the small end closed off and the driver placed somewhere down the lenght. They act somewhat like a pipe resonator.

Those who have visited the Klipch museum have seen them in the big Voight corner horns. Those are the ones which look like a phone booth in a corner with an oddball circular reflector at the top. (An advanced Tardis, Dr. Who?)

The big horn is driven off the front of Voight's very strong driver which sits in the bottom of the cabinet. It has a field coil rather than a magnet; a bit beside the point but that is how things were done before big permanent magnets.

However, Voight realized he needed more bass. So the back of that driver drives what has been described as a tapped bass horn which is in the base of the unit. I can't say it is Voight's invention, but he used it in the 1930s.

To some extent, this is to say that there is nothing new under the sun. OTOH, it is interesting that many of us have stood next to this technology without knowing it.

Gil