Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

Contrary to what everyone is posting, I wasn't too happy with my 10.1. I got it to go with the Forte II's I bought and it just didn't have enough juice. I ended up replacing it with a Adcom GFA-535 that I got for $30 less, and I'm happy now. (Of course, now I need a preamp, which adds on another $100 or so and makes it more expensive.) When I returned it the guy I got it from mentioned that he'd be getting a similar build quality T-amp in stock soon that did 50 watts per channel. Now that would be cool.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even with big Heritage, I don't think anyone should be looking at these 10 watt Tripath implementations in the hope of supplanting whatever they are currently using unless they have a smaller room and don't sit much more than 12 feet back -- and/or just about all of their listening is in the 70-95dB range. The Super-T sounds great in that range, which in my opinion is the thing that sets it apart from any other solid state I've heard. So, think smaller intimate settings with low noise floors to really enjoy what they do well. You can go louder, but without a linestage to buffer the signal it sounds tipped forward and a little incisive.

I can't imagine a Krell amp rating a 100 on any horn system. The only Krell I ever heard was a monster rolled in place of a Jeff Rowland amp on some Vandersteens, and it produced some of the most irritating treble I've ever heard.

I tried a run of the mill car battery once with a run of the mill sonic impact amp. If you want nice dirty power, there ya go....

I had better luck with a wall wart, but it was a lacking in current. I think the trends 10.1 uses a 3 amp supply, IIRC. I think a good clean DC supply with plenty of current would be best from my experiences with that sonic impact amp.

Even with big Heritage, I don't think anyone should be looking at these 10 watt Tripath implementations in the hope of supplanting whatever they are currently using unless they have a smaller room and don't sit much more than 12 feet back -- and/or just about all of their listening is in the 70-95dB range. The Super-T sounds great in that range, which in my opinion is the thing that sets it apart from any other solid state I've heard. So, think smaller intimate settings with low noise floors to really enjoy what they do well. You can go louder, but without a linestage to buffer the signal it sounds tipped forward and a little incisive.

I can't imagine a Krell amp rating a 100 on any horn system. The only Krell I ever heard was a monster rolled in place of a Jeff Rowland amp on some Vandersteens, and it produced some of the most irritating treble I've ever heard.

Dean is right here! - This amp should be an adjunct to your current system. Something to 'play with' - Use on the patio or deck (which I plan on doing).

I don't think anyone will be replacing their tube amps with these little guys!

I'm starting to worry all the positive reports of the Trends amp are going to influence my evaluation. I'll have it in a few days... I'm going to force myself not to follow this thread until I have had a chance to hear them on the La Scalas. See you on the flip side...! Pauln

post-16099-1381933030513_thumb.jpg

I think I fried my sonic impact amp......all the impact is gone......

I'd love to afford the scratch for the Trends 10.1 amp. I'm sure it's a helluva lot more refined sounding than the run of the mill sonic impact.

But I'm hung up on maggotboxes.....I think they are good little amps for low level to moderate listening.

post-6643-1381933030617_thumb.jpg

I've used the Tripath TA1101B (previous generation Tripath chip, same power) to drive my RF-7s. The sound is good. They won't get loud enough to damage your hearing or produce thundering bass. But used within its power capability the amp will do well. And, again, within that power capability, It will do fine with the RF-7 impedance dips. If it clips you'll know it.

Leo

Leo,

Weren't you planning to play with a Hypex implementation at some point? What ever happened to that?

I did - but I dont think I will share the results unless you have tested one already......although I may have already done so.

Hello Max,

My day job stepped in with a high priority "task" lasting a year. That just ended. I hope to get back to the Hypex in a month or so. I obtained the Hypex parts and sketched the amp and power supply last year. So all I have to do is finalize the designs, purchase parts and build. I hope to have amps within 6 mo.

Good to hear from you.

Leo

Thanks Leo for the tip. Recently I am very intrigued to get a pair of RF-7s as well as 2 TA-10s to replace the Mirage M3si I got half year ago. I know Mirage are excellent horns but they are too big for my room and I did not find a good matching amp yet. My current Musical Concept modded Hafler 500 cannot do the job well.

I've used the Tripath TA1101B (previous generation Tripath chip, same power) to drive my RF-7s. The sound is good. They won't get loud enough to damage your hearing or produce thundering bass. But used within its power capability the amp will do well. And, again, within that power capability, It will do fine with the RF-7 impedance dips. If it clips you'll know it. Leo