Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I've been listening to the Trends for a couple of days. It is a cute little guy. Probably 20% cabinet volume of the Super T.

I've been listening to a Super T amp for several months, and am quite fond of the sound.

I'd read a six moons review of a shootout that included these two amps. Even though they gave the nod to the Trends, among the reviewers it was always close between the amps and a significant number of reviewers thought it was too close to call.

When I first listened to it, on a particular track, I wondered if the Trends was as detailed as the Super T. Just a wondering and don't now recall what I was listening to. For the most part, I couldn't tell any difference at all.

I think I might prefer the feel of the attenuator/volume knob on the Super T.

Blue LED on the Super T is larger and much brighter. That's not a plus for everyone.

On my Trends unit, the blue LED went out after two days. Now I'll have to deal with a return to the dealer. Also, will need to decide, I suppose, if I'll just return it or request an exchange.

Anyone else have a problem with the Trends?

On preference for sound, anyone that could tell the difference in sound, in a blind test, more power to em.

My blue light started blinking intermittantly on about day three and
finally went out for good. Thank goodness! I was considering putting a
peice of black tape over the LED or snipping the leads to the little
laser wannabe from day one...

Performed the DC offset today.
Original levels were 2 and 4mV, now both 0. Both still measured dead
zero after putting the case together, I'm pleased.

My little blue light is blinking, too. Doesn't seem to affect the sound, but it is annoying. I emailed Mike Wyatt at Audio Magnus at 11:28 PM and he responded at 11:32PM. Now that's service!! I continue to be most impressed with Mike Wyatt at Audio Magnus.

Here's his response:

Sorry about that! Trends got hold of a batch of bad LEDs. They shipped
amps before they knew. (It typically takes a bit of playing time before
they fail.) The fix is a replacement LED. I have a box of good LEDs here
and can send a replacement or you can return the amp and have us do the
replacement. Its a simple soldering job.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Wyatt
www.audiomagus.com
tel: 360.551.6945
fax: 206.238.3130
email: mwyatt@audiomagus.com

Bill,

I agree, Mike does provide great service. I also like his emphasis on DIY. I ordered one of his TweaKits for the 10.1. I want to listen to it stock for a while before tweaking, though.

Great amp -- fun stuff.

--Ken

That is surprising to see a third forum member with a bad LED. They certainly did get a bad batch.

Sounds like the audio magus guy is excellent for service. I ordered mine from the east coast distributor haven't heard back from my e-mail yet, but the guy was helpful to send a tracking number to confirm shipping. Probably will hear back today. Might be easier to do a diy repair, if that is all it is. It's an inconvenience to pack up and ship. I suppose the only problem would be voiding the warranty if something else should fail. I will have to say that the Super T amp has had no quality problems at all. I've been running mine for months without a problem.

I've been thinking about moving it to my main system, but would need some sort of a component switcher/selector. Haven't seen anything that I especially like, maybe the Niles audio unit. Any suggestions?

Ken,

When you do the tweaks, be sure to post your take on the sound. Listening stock for a while is a good idea.

I'm just not sure class D is really digital - I have not found anything

published about it yet that says anything other than that it is analog

all the way. Is there something I'm missing?

===============

I think what's missing is the "third choice." These are neither analog or digital, they are "switching" amplifiers.

If by third choice you mean the digital signal of delta sigma

modulation, then yes...there is a third choice. It's still digital.

SACD's use sigma delta modulation and they even taught us how to

design digital filters for it in the DSP class I just finished on

Monday...SDM is indeed different than PCM, but there's nothing stopping

you from translating between either format digitally. In fact, that's

something my lab partner and I hope to become more familiar with next

fall...(feeding a PCM signal directly into the chip of a digital

amplifier, where the digital signal is amplified and filtered into

analog in the same process).

Basically, anyone that is arguing that SDM is analog is arguing that

PCM is analog. Time to start learning how these things work instead of

sharing feelings about their behavior...

Is that 20W per channel Dean?

No, it's 13 wpc into 8 ohms and 22 into 4 -- just slightly more than the 2024 chip.

Any reason the PSU is in a seperate chassis?

I suppose it might reduce noise -- I can't think of any other reason. The main appeal here is that it's a more serious undertaking than you normally see with these things, and not for all that much more money. The chassis' and VC are more upscale, and you get a regulated power supply with a good deal more filtration.

Here's one for folks who can't stand the thought of not having some tubes in the system and want a little more power. Tripath 2022 for 60wpc and buffered VC using two EF91 tubes. Pretty expensive though at $399.00.:)

post-3205-13819333826186_thumb.jpg

Dr. Who..

In these PWM amplifiers, as we are referring to here, what is the input signal, and what is the output signal?

If you take an A/D feed it to a D/A it is both analog in and analog out... surely you are not going to tell me it isn't digital?

Shawn

Dean,

"
Seems to me if it has an analog input -- it's analog, and if it outputs in analog -- it's analog."

You plug POTs into a VOIP router use a VPN to get to another VOIP router with a POTs plugged into it and talk over it.... analog in, analog out.... is it an analog connection?

Shawn

"Which PWM amplifiers have ADC and DAC in them?"

What function do you think the modulator performs? And what function is the power stage/output filter?

An
ADC modulates analog audio into pulse code modulation. The Tripath
modulator modulates analog audio into pulse width modulation.

A
DAC takes pulse code modulation and in combination with the output
filter spits out analog. The Tripath output stage takes pulse width
modulation and in combination with the output filter spits out analog.

Shawn