Just wondering how many realize

pauln

Not the point, though true as well. Go to a financial site and read the fine print in their privicy policy - some explicitly state that their site DOES know the site you were at just before coming there, but that this information is part of the other info that they do not make available for sale or marketing.

Prepare to be paranoid.

At former employer I help purchase and put in place an amazing product call a Network Flight Recorder or NFR. We logged and kept database going back a year of all network traffic not the actuall traffic but what it was where it was going everything. It was very simple to find hackers and track the usuage of your pc without getting data off of the PC. This technology was a blackbox for the network and this was years ago. I assure  you these are located at key points all over the interets infrastructure. There is no anonymity on the internet and it does not matter what you do to your computer because the network is the computer.

George Orwell was an optimist.

A friend of mine helped build one of the first sites like anonymiser he really like the technology but anonymiser has records too and that he felt was the flaw. I bet he still surfs the internet ssh'd to a computer in norway then ssh'd to a computer in france and even then only uses the lynx web browser in terminal lol... 

Use Tor (Torpark) and portable Firefox on a USB flash key. If you want total anonymous surfing without an incredible slowdown, check out Tor's anonymizer service.

Only the router will have a record of where you went and you walk away with all of the dynamic cache files on the key.