So I've had my Sonic Impact T-amp for a couple weeks now...

wuzzzer

...and I finally was able to get an AC adapter for it through Sonic Impact's website. I had been running it on the 8 AA batteries it requires if you're not using AC power.

First off, I'd like to explain that my system is set up so that my SVS subwoofer amplifies everything from 80Hz on down and the T-amp amplifies everything from 80Hz on up. Due to the flexibility in hookups in my Harman/Kardon HK3480 that I'm now using as a pre-amp I have the flexibility of sending a full-range signal to the T-amp if I wanted to. However, I figured I'd go easy on the little T-amp and free up some of the really low bass so it had an easier time with the rest of the audio range.

The first thing that I noticed witht he T-amp is that is almost creates a virtual surround feeling. By that I don't mean the cheesy, hokie virtual type of 'surround sound' that many receivers will implement to a 2 channel system. Its simply that the sound seems to be much more realistically coming from much farther beyond the speakers themselves. I described it to someone as a 'wall of sound' in front of you. If you were to walk blindfolded into the room and be told to point to exactly where you hear a voice or instrument coming from, not only would you be able to do it, but you'd many times be pointing to the left or to the right of where the speakers are actually sitting. Music seems to envelop the entire speaker area.

It can definitely get loud! Having speakers with a 99dB sensitivity certainly helps, though. I should hook up my friends KLF-30s and see how they sound with the little amp.

Right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Pulse concert DVD. Wish You Were Here. I wish those of you who haven't heard this little amp would be here. My wife commented that voices seem clearer. For her to notice any improvement in sound is nothing short of a miracle since she's perfectly happy listening to her iPod through my old Bose 401 speakers.

Treble is extremely clear and detailed with the T-amp. You can almost feel fingers sliding on electric guitar strings. Cymbals are crisp and more metallic sounding than they sound on other amps.

Total investment including the AC adapter is about $50. It is the one electronic component in my system that has made the biggest impact in the quality of sound. It also happens to be the least expensive electronic component in my system.

I think due to the impedence swings of the RF-7 the T-amp wouldn't be too great of a choice for it. The amp is good for about 7 clean watts per channel before it starts to distort bigtime. The low impedence swings that the RF-7s have might cause it to run out of steam pretty quickly at moderately high volumes.

It would be interesting to give it a try, though! And for $50 including AC adapter its a cheap experiment that you could get 90%+ of your money back out of if you re-sold it on eBay.

ell for sure then, a robust amp for the 7's, and a few of these amps for 35's or other smaller speakers. If these things work the way everyone else makes to out to be, all I need to do is invest in a decent pre/pro and I should be ready for a big bang for the buck system.

The original sounds better? I've got one of the original sonic impacts and then a DIY amp that is more similar to the Super-T which already is supposed to have some improvements. I believe our DIY design is supposed to be slightly better than the Super-T, but it's leaps and bounds better than sonic-impact. That's with my Denon AVR-3300 acting as a preamp. I never felt that either could drive my Chorus II's very well though, but I think many others feel the Chorus II's need a bit more juice to come alive?

I know it's not quite apples to apples, but I'm trying to get an idea of where you're coming from. You're running Forte 2's right?

Forte 2s, yes. I can't remember where I read it online but I remember someone who reviewed the Super-T and the original amp and said that sonically the original won out over the Super-T.

I had my system really, really loud today jamming to Def Leppard and The Eagles. Sounded more natural and realistic than I've ever heard.

That's news to me, but I haven't read all the Sonic Impact reviews either. Regardless, my bro uses the original T-amp to drive these little Bose monitors for his PC (he's also used it once with his main system driving the modified Cornwalls)...no matter where it's hooked up, it's an amazing sounding li'l amp and a helluva best buy!

Enjoy![;)]

post-11084-13819330363414_thumb.jpg