speaker thump at shut down

tk49

I have a Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp that I'm using with a Merlin pre (I love it) and Forte II's. I know there was a thread a couple weeks ago about the shut down sequence (follow the source). I have tried several ways and nothing will eleminate that thump. Right now I'm just leaving the amp on all the time. Any suggestions, do I need too have the amp looked at.

t

The thump occurs no mater what I turn off first or last, there are only fuses no switches. I'm certain it has nothing to do with the Merlin, other than they make beautiful music together. I think it's like Mark says, that's the way those old amps run. My concern is damage to the speakers. I first ran the HK through a pair of NHT Three's and had a similar problem, but not to the extreme as the Forte's. Mark, is there any recourse? Is there anything wrong with letting it sit there and idle? Shorten it's life?

t

Thump is sometimes caused by DC offset out of spec.. With no signal there should be minimal juice going to the speakers. Most amps have an adjustment for each channel to get this down to a minimum value. Do you have a service manual for your amp? It should have the procedure for setting the DC offset. You will need to have a VOM and some alligator clips... might be worth checking.