Yes, I think I'd like to build a pair of Cornscala II and a half?

mpmarino

[:)]

Hello folks, I'm new here and this is my first post. Thanks for a nice forum.

Well, since the demise of my Tannoy drivers I've been a lost soul. I stole them (not literally!) and I will not be able to afford a new set until I win the lottery. I have yet to hear a 'conventional' set of speakers that put a smile on my face - so here I am. I recently heard a friends set of Forte's and I was impressed - :) . It goes hard against my grain to just buy a set of speakers though. I have a lot of questions so I hope you bear with me.

I've done a fair amount of hunting here and I think I know what I am looking for. I really like the sound of horn loaded bass cabs but quite honestly I want more extension, therefore - the Cornscala. I have another issue - I'm cheap [8-)]

My plan would be to biamp between the woofer and the rest using an electronic crossover. I would like to 'roll my own' passive section for the top end. I see that Bob Crites is offering autoformers that would do nicely - great! I'd like to use the same theme as the larger Klipsches with a seperate bass bin and top section to more easily 'tinker'. Mr Crites' Cornscala II used a Pyle midrange horn that seemed to work well and I have no reason to doubt his judgement.

1)Regarding the mid driver - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, easily obtained equivalent to Atlas originals that would work as well, and fit that horn?

2)I am considering the Eminence APT200 tweeter - is there any issue there?

3)The woofer. Do I buy a new set from Klipsch? How about Mr Crites' ebay offerings? T&S parameters on either? Perhaps a different model from Emenince/Selenium etc.?(no JBL - I'm cheap)

4)Can anyone point me to details regarding Cornwall cabinet volume and port size? I wonder if there is value in going a bit larger?

I'm sure there are more questions, and any suggestions are very welcomed. Mr. Crites, I hope you're tuned in[:)]

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Welcome to the forum.

I think you'd be well pleased with the Cornscala II. A few thoughts: On the woofer, Bob's offering is a slam dunk made to spec by Eminence. The Eminence tweeter you mention is a good choice. Bob makes an alternative horn flare which matches perfectly the K77 dimensions. It would work best in the Cornscala cab, IMO. Any of the K55 mid drivers would be an excellent choice. My crossover recommendation would be 4500hz. The tweeter will handle this nicely and makes a wonderful transition to the K55 at this freq. If you haven't already talked with Bob, check him out for some consulting here.

WOW! You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot.

Those diagrams are helpful - to say the least. I understand about
the cheap parts. Please understand I'd like to start somewhere and have
a definite upgrade path.

Thanks for the driver comments. Good to hear Bob's woofer is a
'goer'. I want to keep seperate high cab and bass bin to invoke
tweaking so I guess the 'fit' of the mid horn would be not as
important. Maybe it would be wise to keep my eyes peeled for a set of
K55s....

I have a clone Krell ksa50 for the woofs and a clone Pass Aleph 30
for the highs - do you think it would be a good match? Seems good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck on your quest!. Let me just mention a couple of things to consider.

First, at very low frequencies there may not be much bass in the recording to begin with. Second, the sound of the bass is not just a function of the LF extension. The bass from a horn loaded cabinet (La Scala or K-Horn) is different than the bass from a direct radiator (Cornwall or the modded CWs). I believe much of this is due to the distortion, since horn loaded cabinets will have better efficiency and lower distortion. I am not knocking the direct radiator designs, since I have Cornwalls (which I love). However, I also have Klipschorns which have a very special quality (a very accurate bass that has an "authoritative subtlety" about it - yes, it does seem like a paradox but those who own K-Horns will know what I mean).

A further thought is that much of the gain in one gets with a beefed up Cornscala etc can be obscured by how they are set up in your room. If there are room issues (especially true of smaller rooms), then the "added bass" may end up being exaggerated by room resonances (or diminished by anti-resonances) and also being made muddy by low frequency ringing.

I hope it works out well,

-Tom

Thanks Tom!

My room is an L with the listening area being about a 24' X 13' 'leg' of the L. I don't have proper corners, nor the space for false walls - otherwise I'd already be cuttin' wood for the Khorns! I'm confident I could get a set together I just wouldn't know where to put 'em. It seems like the response in the bass region is apples and oranges when comparing Khorns to Belle/Lascala.

I am considering all options. As far as the Belle/Lascala option I worry that I will need a sub (and quite a sub at that) on the occasion that I watch movies.

For now I'd like to trickle parts in for the top, and get a pair of Bob's woofers when funds allow. Anyone that is interested in selling something relevant, please don't be afraid to let me know. The flea bay pickings aren't as good as I thought.

The bass bin options are still open - actually everything is. Please folks chime in if you wish.

Thought you might be interested. Here is a pic of the version I am currently working on. Slow going as I am simultaneously building a set of Jubilees.

Anyway, 15's comin' from Bob C. JBL 2404H tweeters. 300hz 2" Tractrix horns I made myself that will be mated to JBL 2482 2"(Phenolic)mid drivers. Have not started working on the XO situation at this time. Fun stuff.....

post-9114-13819333819876_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all who have chimed in via PM or forum! It's funny how things change as time goes by and suggestions come in. Actually I am now in the process of acquiring a altec 511b/902 setup in an effort to go 2-way - active - 24dB LR. Cornwall bass bin and Voice top end. Maybe I'll come up with my own bass bin alignment with another driver...dunno yet? Strange, the more time goes by - the less my speakers will have a Klipsch name on them. Not that a name means anything to me but thats just the way things are heading. To satisfy the forum I must say that my original inspiration on the project was from PWKs designs.

CornVott anyone?

EmiVott?

SeleniVott?