Please recommend me a good speaker

Beatjunky

I am looking for any suggestions anyone may have on a pair of good speakers that will be MAINLY used for music but will also get a good deal of HT usage. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver but plan to upgrade soon...any suggestions on receiver would be welcome too. My friend has some RF-3's and they sound pretty damn good which led me to this site. I noticed the RF-7's but from the discussion on this forum not many people seem to have as much respect for the reference series in comparison to the heritage. Any reasons for this? So if I want to stay under $2000 for a pair of speakers what would be the best Klipsch to go with? Feel free to also recommend other brands as well for me to compare with. Thanks to all who take the time to provide feedback. Take care.

A used pair of Klipschorns from ebay or audioreview classified .....should be in the $1300 to $1800 depending on cabinet finish. If you have $500. left over buy Al's crossover upgrades now or later. If you don't have two corners with 4 feet free on each side then go for the LaScalas ($650. - $1200 on ebay)... if these are too big go for the Heresy's ($450-$650). You will also need a sub with either the LaScalas or Heresys. If you have to have them shipped the cost could be substantial - the Heritage speakers are HEAVY. Are you are planning on two speaker Home Theater? If so the ideal for the Heritage speakers are tubes. If you plan on surround sound you'll need an A/V receiver. The best sounding and highly honored is the Outlaw Audio 1050 (AVAILABLE ONLY ON NET}and it's now only $499. plus shipping. It also works fine with Heritage speakers although I added a tube stereo preamp for music. While not quite as good on music but made for both music and home theater, the reference series offer good value - the more expensive ones are better than the less expensive ones (unbeleivable!}. And the surround and center channel speakers are more suited to Home Theater.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 12-15-2001 at 12:59 PM

I think you would LOVE the RF-7's. A lot of us do own the heritage and classic series, but when many of us bought our speakers the RF-7's were not an option. I have listened to the RF-7's and they are very very good. They will definitely give you more bottom end than any of the Heritage series (except for maybe the K-horns). The RF-7's would cost you about 1500-1800 depending on where you got them. This leaves little cash for center/surrounds.........

For that same 2000 bucks, if you wanted to go with the heritage series, you could buy a set of LaScalas, a set of Heresies, and a sub on Ebay. You could replace the LaScalas with a set of Cornwalls for a little more bottom end. It all depends on the space you have, and what kind of music you listen to.

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

My Klipsch recomendations are:

RF-7's(if you want huge output and quality,no sub needed,well on most material)

RF-5's(great tower speakers,good output and sound quality)

If you want to also get sourrounds and not spend too much the RF-5's,RC-7 and RS-7's are a great choice.

The RC-7 is much better then the RC-3,better drivers in a larger box,real wood finish!The RC-7 is a GREAT center channel.

Since you want main for music...get the RF-7's,its the CANT GO WRONG ROUTE.Power and quality.Sub is optional but not a must.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

If you are going to upgrade your reciever,I would check the features of what you are looking for. With the new formats out and new stuff in receivers. I would play a waiting game.

I'm a Harman Kardon nut! Great quality and easy to use. But they don't have any new equipment with DD EX & DTS ES built in yet. Then I have to make sure it has 6 CH inputs to accommodate SACD or DVD-Audio. I still have laserdisc, so finding new equipment with an RF input will be hard.

Besides HK,I would lean toward Denon. Yahmaha makes some good stuff,but I hate them. Main reason is many times they put a ton of buttons on front panel that you will never use(unless the remote is broke). I have never found them to be user friendly either. It takes me awhile to figure out how to work one.

I've had my HK AVR 80 for almost 4 yrs now. I listen to a lot of music. Everything from jazz to heavy metal. It still makes my KG 3.5's sing. I also watch tons of movies to.

I do agree with another post about once you own Klipsch and get use to the horns, nothing else sounds the same. If I didn't have Klipsch, I think B&W's are the next best thing. They handle music and movies well.

Since Harman took over JBL, I've seen them putting horns in theirs as weel. I haven't heard any,so I can't judge how good they are. But with Harman running the show,I'm guessing they are pretty good. Just look what they did with Infinity. Took over, fired most of engineers and started over.

I've been experiencing Klipsch for 4 yrs now. I can't see myself ever getting anything else!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ