Preamp?

I am currently mulling over the idea of replacing my Phase Linear 3000 Series II preamp. I would like to take a step or two up in performance. I have a Carver M-500 amp that I would like to match with a preamp that will give me a synergistic quality in reproduction that I have not yet experienced with the 3000 paired with the Carver. Don't get me wrong, I believe the coupling of these two has been good, but I know I can do better. I love vintage equipment and may want to look at that option. I am not sure where I should start looking, ( manufacturer, model, functions, etc.). I know that I will require a phono section. I am hoping that I can get some good info. from my fellow forum members. Your advice and comments have been helpful in the past and I am confident that I can get pointed in the right direction with some help. I am trying to keep the price down to less than $500.00 if possible. That is one reason that I would like to look at vintage stuff, plus I love the 70's era equipment anyway. But, I also realize that as time march's on there is newer and possibly better technology that I could benefit from. Any suggestions?

Tom

After following the great advise given here on this board, I went thru several different SS Receivers & Amps as $'s would allow me to step up. When I got my first Tube Pre. in front of any of SS gear it was all a great step forward into the direction of Audio Bliss for me.

I have just purchased from another forum member here a Cary Pre Amp & will be selling my Conrad Johnson PV3 with phono that would easily fit your $ range - $325.00 - Satisfaction guaranteed or you money back. Dont wish to turn the forum into a classified - will send more details in Pm if your interested.

But by all means do try a Tube pre of some type, if I had the funds I would be trying out a Peach myself.

Cornman

The Merlin is a sweet, sweet preamp, but has no phono section. The only real caveat to using a tube pre with a SS power amp it the possible impedance mismatch. Most tube preamps have a fairly high output impedance, which will not mate well with most SS amps. You will possibly lose some low end due to the matching acting as a filter, rolling off the bottom end. There are solutions for that, just keep it in mind. A SS pre with a tube amp does not suffer the same problem.

Bruce

ps, I have a Merlin (which I intend to keep) and am picking up a Juicy Music Audio Blueberry Extreme in another week. The phono pre will be nice to have, so I can hook up my turntable once again.

Hey Tom,

I have a Sunfire TGP-5 processor available. I have used these myself and are quite a performer. Let me know. I may even throw in a new Sunfire Zone 2 amp.

I'll take it for $500 if you'll pay shipping.

Dave you are a lucky man. I picked up a Merlin from a forum memeber a month ago and I have been nothing but totally pleased with it. Mark certainly knows what he is doing when it comes to pre amps. From the reports I've read on the forum he has nailed it with the Pcat as well. I'm using the Merlin with a HK Citation 12 SS and Forte II's, detail and realism is better than is was with my Cayin TA 30 integrated. I'ld like to find a pair of La Scala's, with in driving distance of Lincoln NE, to pair up with the Merlin. Good luck.

Tom

can the Phase pre right quick ..

they are a sonic turd ...[:S]

Duke, you have given me this advice once before and I appreciate your oppinion. I have been using it for 10 months or so now and have done a little experimenting with a Scott 299D and a Sansui AU-X301 integrated, plus I picked up a decent cd player. I don't consider the Phase Linear a sonic turd, but, I am now convinced that I can do much better. I am seriously considering the Sunfire Symphonic Reference preamp. All the reviews I have read about this preamp have been favorable and they tend to refer to the sonic capabilities as rather tube like. If you have any experience with this preamp throw me a bone.

Sorry ...

but it' s the lowest denominator of your Food chain ....

Getta Merlin ...

I've had TON's of Phase/ Carver stuff ...

you don't recognize the improvement ...'till you fix .. ALL the signal chain problems ....

And ,.....

Yes ... my Advice still stand's .....

CAN it ....[*-)]

I am now convinced that I can do much better. I am seriously considering the Sunfire Symphonic Reference preamp. All the reviews I have read about this preamp have been favorable and they tend to refer to the sonic capabilities as rather tube like.

WHY .... not just buy ..

the "Real" tube .. Thingy ..??

reccommended by This forum ..??

Merlin ...or .. BlueBry ....

don't see many post sayin' ..

Dam .... I gotta have a Sunfire ...?/

are you a closet HT guy ..??

I am now convinced that I can do much better. I am seriously considering the Sunfire Symphonic Reference preamp. All the reviews I have read about this preamp have been favorable and they tend to refer to the sonic capabilities as rather tube like.

WHY .... not just buy ..

the "Real" tube .. Thingy ..??

reccommended by This forum ..??

Merlin ...or .. BlueBry ....

don't see many post sayin' ..

Dam .... I gotta have a Sunfire ...?/

are you a closet HT guy ..??

do you really think ...

Mass Consumer good's ... like Sunfire ..

have more to offer ..???

I don't think that mass marketing of any product is going to give me more of what I am looking for, but, I am trying to get decent quality for a decent price. I love the comment about the closet HT guy. That is funny. I watch very little video and quite frankly am not impressed with what I do watch. Whether it be theatre or video. What should I be looking for in regards to a preamp for $500.00 or less. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had the funds to purchase a Blueberry, but it's just not possible at this time. I am just looking for a step in the right direction. Do you have any suggestions in this price range?

If you want try tubes, look for a used 1980's Conrad-Johnson pre. The old ones are full-function (balance controls, mono switch, phono section, etc.), are nicely made, look good and are pretty much warhorses. You can pick up a PV-3 or PV-6 for $300 or so and for a couple of hundred more a PV-5 or PV-7, both of which are REALLY nice and have yourself a ball. I own or have owned a handful of them and they're really a bargain in the used market . . .