My Favorite Power Tube

Gilbert

• Moderators

Travis,

They could be branded Raytheon and still be Tungsols 6550. Many companies were buying and rebranding the Tungsols. I have them with Bogen, RCA, GE and Tungsol on them. Great tubes for sure.

Craig

I remember you telling me that they could be Tungsol, that is why I initially thought I had 3. Is there a way to tell if they were made by Tungsol?

Travis

Yes, they are very good. I enjoyed trying some of them in Mark III's. Hard to find in decent shape. I haven't heard personally of anyone excited about the reissue. Haven't heard them, though.

Spent most of my time listening to some Svetlana 6550's that were sweethearts.

Just looked at those for the first time. Beautiful looking tube. For those who have listened, how does this tube compare to Penta KT-88 solid plates or VA KT-88's? Anyone heard the reissue?

Don't know about the Valve Art KT-88's, but IMHO, they are better than the Genalex KT88's.... Including the highly revered vintage Gold Lions.

But, like I said in another thread.... There's some Taiwanese Ebay'er by the name of "Ming*the*merciless" that is buying them-up all the solid black plates left and right. Paying as much as $500 for a single. INSANE, and I'm glad I got mine when they were significantly less. Paid about $70 to $90 a tube 2.5 years ago.

I have two 1962 TungSol 6550 tubes : ) just sitting around because I don't dare turn the amp on due to the fact that the guy that rebuilt it was satan and it still has a 60hz hum :(

SETI, what type are yours, and do you want to sell them. If so, PM me. Sorry about your heathenistic stereo tech. You should try Crusty Craig, at least he doesn't have horns [:D]

To put it politely, this guy is a PITA.

Ruthless Basturd_No.1

Ruthess Basturd_No.2

If it's a solid black plate, you might as well give up. Some months ago, before he got smart with the sniper bids; I saw he was bidding, yet again, on a pair of NOS'y NIB tubes that I wanted. Knowing that he had made some assine high bids on other tubes that he out bid me on, I thought I had developed a feel for his bidding, and proceeded to peck at his bid. When I got to $800 (keep in mind this is a pair, 2 tubes, of TungSol's), I gave up hope.

Guest " "
"There's some Taiwanese Ebay'er by the name of "Ming*the*merciless" that is buying them-up all the solid black plates left and right. Paying as much as $500 for a single. INSANE"

Exchange rate?

I have two 1962 TungSol 6550 tubes : ) just sitting around because I don't dare turn the amp on due to the fact that the guy that rebuilt it was satan and it still has a 60hz hum :(

SETI, what type are yours, and do you want to sell them. If so, PM me.  Sorry about your heathenistic stereo tech. You should try Crusty Craig, at least he doesn't have horns [:D]

They are grey smoothe plate triple o getter tubes. I am keeping all tubes until I get someone to remove the 60hz hum and I actually hear the amp with them. If I decide to sell them I'll let ya know. What is really annoying is that I have a single genelex that test good. 

I wish I had sent my amps to craig as I heard he has horns. Be very careful who you send vintage equipment to......grrr.....grrr