Tractrix on the cheap!

Hi All,

I decided that I should attempt to make a tractrix horn the way ALK and a few others suggest except I know absolutley nothing about wood working and all that stuff!

So I ended up taking the easy way out by cutting (butchering more likely) top and bottom pieces of the horn from 'almost' 1 inch MDF and using premium quality cardboard (1.7mm thickness) and layering this 4 times with super strong Canadian wood glue. The result was amazing, didn't think it could be done.

I put a strip of 7mm MDF on the edge of the mouth of the horn frame and again on the top of the frame. I then cut out a cardborad piece to fit snuggly into the frame, glued it in then cut down the sides then repeated this 4 times and viola a tractrix horn!

I am going to try and load up pictures, I am also not very good at this. I am in a Linux environment using Open Source (gimp) so here it goes.

post-15069-13819333855596_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and finally after the undercoat and now the 'black'

Well that seemed to go well! Gimp works.

I am using the AK4 and I don't think the change from the 401 to the tractrix is that dramatic when placing the tractrix in the same position as the 401. Some things are more noticeable and others are not, until I move the whole kit around facing into the listening area. I am using Bob's tweet and put that on the vertical rather than the assumed horizontal. That makes a difference in greater focus of instrumentation and voicing in the top end. The tractrix is postioned facing the listener and then moved slightly back with the tweet on top of it ( I have taken the 'top hats' off the Khorn to allow for this). Now I get a dramatic change, so pinpointed with what seems to be a wider soundstage and centre point. I am liking it!

post-15069-13819333859526_thumb.jpg

This is an intriguing project. I saw something similar on another forum. They had used bendable plywood and 1/8 luan rather than cardboard. They also showed some cutting jigs since there are some funny angles on the thicker pieces. I assume you had a similar headache.

Congratulations! Do you have a way of measuring the frequency response and dispersion? Also, are you going to try and smooth the transition between the driver (round) and the throat entrance (square). Some have suggested a malleable substance (clay or plaster of paris) at that transition. What are your thoughts?

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hi Tom,

I was thinking about testing but would need to call on an old friend who I haven't seen in years. I'm not sure what that transition will do. I have done only some around the opening (wood workers plaster) and I notice that the 401 leaps from round to square. I have not put the 401 washer into the tractrix as it seems the sound loses pitch. I would also love to test 'washer or no washer'.

The headache was my intolerance at the glue not drying quick enough. The cardboard was easily cut, per layer, with a sharp cutting knife.

Cheers

'The headache was my intolerance at the glue not drying quick enough."

Do you think contact cement would be a better option?

Wow,

Those look great. Congrats on your craftsmanship.

I had the privilege of having a pair of quite similar, though made with plywood, from 3dZapper.

the sound was indeed impressive, and IMO, an improvement over a K400/401.

Also, have to say, as an audio skeptic, I was surprised at the improvement. \

Yep, It was from an old thread I think ALK and a few others contributed to. I did up my templates based on them. Originally it came out of Bruce Edgars calcs and ideas for a 2" lens. Al has some pics on his website. Also recently there was a thread on a magnificent pair being built...I can't remember who it was I'll have to do a search. My system recently died and I lost a lot of info and am now using Open Source (Suse) rather than Windows and just starting to find my way around.

Cheers

I have a 4' x 8' sheet of that bendable wood. I was going to eventually fabricate a pair. I want to be able to veneer them. That will be the trick.

When you say cardboard do you actually mean cardboard or just flexable board like they sell at the home depot (like what is used for the bottom of drawers on cheap cabinets).

Hi,

I really mean cardboard! When you use multiple layers it works like ply. Even a mate of mine was not convinced I used cardboard and I had to show him the off cuts. Lots of glue and multiple layers, works a treat. Do the 'knock test' and it sounds like ply or MDF

Cheers