when to replace...

hi all,

after reading new member jerol's post and the various replies i got to wondering about the khorns i have. as far as i know they have never been either upgraded or ever had anything replaced in them. if i remember correctly they are 1982 vintage. one of the posts mentioned about the capacitors starting to leak after a time. i dont want that to happen and so far it hasn't but i have to wonder if this phenomenon is due to high volume playing or some other kind of stress to the speaker. possibly heat related? point being, if i monitor the condition of these caps and i dont see any leakage, would this maybe be an indicator on whether or not it's time to replace them? in other words, is it a good indicator of the capacitor's performance level?

i suppose it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and change out these 25 year old caps but the speakers already sound so good i just dont feel all that motivated at this time. is it probable that a noticeable improvement of sound would result in changing them?

thanks very much for the advice!

pete

good morning dave,

thanks for the quick reply. hope you are having a nice morning. wondering what the bike in your profile is about. are you a bike dealer? i'm into mountain biking although i dont have a high dollar rig. i have a cadex (made by giant) aluminum frame hardtail that i've had now for a number of years. i dont use it extremely hard and its hung in there pretty well. about ready to replace the front shocks tho...getting a bit soft.

have a great day! pete

Hi Pete despite what others will say I noticed an improvement in my khorns after having the caps replaced. You start losing resistance to heat in effect the wrong signals get into the wrong places, and degrades the sonics somewhat.

Jay

is it probable that a noticeable improvement of sound would result in changing them?

There will be noticeable change in the sound, but whether it constitutes an improvement or not will be up to you to decide after you do it. There will be more high frequency extension and energy, and if you listen at high volumes it will run you out of the room. Choose your caps carefully, they don't all sound the same and do impact the voicing of the speaker.

Pete,

Of course your Khorns sound o.k. now. The problem with crossover capacitors is that the change, as they drift off spec, is so slow as to be unnoticeable. After 25 years, they have almost certainly become resistive.

It is my opinion, that replacing the caps, (not upgrading) with the same values would yield the closest approximation to factory spec you can achieve. When I did this with my LaScalas and Khorns and Heresy, I was very pleased with the results, which were surprisingly noticeable. I've heard the change in vintage Cornwalls and it was also dramatic and pleasing.

The good news is that this is not an expensive proposition.

Pete,

Of course your Khorns sound o.k. now. The problem with crossover capacitors is that the change, as they drift off spec, is so slow as to be unnoticeable. After 25 years, they have almost certainly become resistive.

It is my opinion, that replacing the caps, (not upgrading) with the same values would yield the closest approximation to factory spec you can achieve. When I did this with my LaScalas and Khorns and Heresy, I was very pleased with the results, which were surprisingly noticeable. I've heard the change in vintage Cornwalls and it was also dramatic and pleasing.

The good news is that this is not an expensive proposition.

I would concur with what Dee said. I actually think that it is in fact one of the best bang for the buck improvements that I have made to my overall system. I started by replacing my crossover with a new stock unit, then tried one with upgraded caps ( from Dean) , and finally Deans super AA. The improvement at each step was noticeable and not subtle. I will again be upgrading to Deans VCaps as my next move.

Josh

hey all,

thanks again for your replies. does dean have a web-site? how can i go about ordering these caps and what are the price differences. dean if i am treating you in the third person forgive me... on the other hand royalty often uses that form...

thanks again!

pete