Just in - Review of RSW-15, SVS Ultra & HGS 18

kleggatt

well said, thanks for the great comparison,also hats off to all the manufacture's who put their sub's on the line,that takes some ball's. T.V. thanks for putting up with us and giving some good insight on subs. i hope to do some business with you very soon, also thanks to the guys at Klipsch for some fine speakers and this board mark

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colin, when i play sub 29hz music material w/ my hgs on or off I can sure tell it's there. Biggrin.gif it's a matter of having sub 29hz extension (even below 10hz) at a pretty high spl, albeit not as astounding as the spl of dual ultra, or not having it much at all w/ just my klf or cornwalls.

i see your point though. to get the spl of the dual ultra down low there i'd need another hgs-18. mucho added cost. i'd probably buy used if i ever get the space. cwm35.gif

obviously the dual ultra are the king of spl w/ reasonable distortion limits. we all could go on about the best 1 (or 2) for bass quality issues & preferences forever. guess that's why it's best to demo them ourselves (& no i'm not slammimg the svs at all - wouldn't dare) Biggrin.gif

thanks brian & guys. very informative review & thread!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-19-2001 at 09:57 PM

Yes I know about the Wilson XS sub,its a huge dual 18" driver sub as large as a small room Wink.gif

Yes this dinosaur has sub human sub bass and can shake you inside out even if you are in a large room.

This THING needs a Mark Levinson 336 to drive ONE unit!

Not inexpensive at all.Did I say its HUGE,like TITANIC

A XS is around 20 grand and a Levinson 336 is 10 grand!

The Krell is a compact sub(the most brutal "mini" sub ever designed).At 35 grand is not near the value of SVS and HSU.Still its a show piece,per cubic inch there is no sub mad with more output and power.

The SVS subs are quite large too,the HGS18,RSW15 and Revel B15 are mid sized cubes when you see how large the SVS are.To me its all ok,if a sub is BIG and has a huge output its all justified.

I would like to see and hear what TV is able to do with a 18" super heavy duty bass unit in a immense sonotube.I have little doubt it would send them packing.Next TV should design and market 15" versions of the Ultra and SS!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

You'd be suprised, those little Honda rides

get pretty fast, when the build up a V-tech

motor.

Haha, thanks for the laugh! First time I've ever laughed out loud reading this BB. Sorry, I really have nothing important to say.

TV,

I am sure you can apply the same design principles to a 15 or 18" driver Super SVS SS and leave the competition in the dust.Imagine a single driver sub with the output of two SVS SS!Now that is sub human.

Why not a limited edition,SE vesion of the SS.Would sell well,SVS has a cult following and you would only make more green.

The more output the better,as long as sub bass quality is retained.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

No offense taken Boa,

If Brian ever wants to do a <$1500 comparison,he could always just subtract 6dBs from his current data on the SVs.(nice time saverSmile.gif )

I'm not sure what Vel's best would be <$1500 though, maybe the spl1200?

I don't see much advantage to having a single 100Lb enclosure over two lighter enclosures that---cost <50%,offer up to 200-300% more performance,are much easier to move around,and don't take up much more floor space then the single large unit does anyway---

Ears, I wish it were that easy...

btw--the old wilson was one of the worst designed ,overpriced woofs I've ever heard of(imo) they take the great aura1808 woof, and then add about 2000% markup and severely underport it...(I'd put the $2295 ultra package up against it any day of the week...bring the krell deathsub too...let's have a party...

TV

TV

Always interesting to talk with you here

I saw your page and the pics of some of the monster sonotubes you made!Very impressive,and I am sure the output is helacious when the subs are driven by a healthy dose of clean watts.

For this setup you would at least need KLF30's and cut the KLF's around 60Hz to let the SPL rip.Even with sensitive large speakers I doubt any could keep up(besides the Pro stage horn loaded monitors,good up to 140dB,and more!).

I wish I had all these sonotubes to play around and experiment.Costs much less then making or buying made subs(Velo,Sunfire,B&W,Revel,Aerial).

In most subs you pay for cabinet design and construction!Very few good subs use inexpensive cabinets.SVS and HSU are good examples,most goes towards the driver!

Velodyne SPL,HGS and Sunfire subs also have inexpensive cabinets and over 90% of the price is in the driver(s) and amp.

Aerial while using suberb drivers,you will pay ,most for the cabinet!Revel is lesser,the cabinet while great quality and good finish is not as well built as Aerial or say a Wilson(over 90% of the price...if not more resides in the cabinet!).

The very expensive subs and speakers will be more...clean but often represent a much lesser value for the dollar.Add alot more to get a bit more.

The SVS SS should correct this(odinary look)of the previous SVS subs.Audiopiles should like the SS alot.

Good looks with awesome performance.Great move with the SS.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I know Diggs, yer just joshin'!

I like this smilie things....

I went out and got real drunkTipsy.gif

Then I got real Highcwm32.gif

Then I got sick cwm8.gif

Ear, as much of a subwoofer nut you are,

I'm suprised that you haven't built one or had someone

else build one.

They sky is the limit for DIY subs, you seen the

world's largest horn subwoofer.

I'm happy with SVS!

One day Mike I will build my own sub,I have plans.Its damn HUGE and it uses eight 15" drivers.Each in its own section.I will need at least two ATI 2505's for this monster.With 400W into 8 Ohms times 8 I should have output to lift the house. LOL

Not yet,no space left.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>YE One could get 6 KSW-15 for less than 3K. How would that stack up to the SVS ULTRA? Why did SVS get to use

2 subs but Klipsch for there KSW only 1?<<<

SVS was contacted and told there was a <$3000 shootout about to happen and we were asked to send our most potent offering in that price range.

It's not SV's fault that no other manufacturer has the foresight to design or package their products in 3 piece sets. I don't think SVS should be penalized for having this foresight either. We offer this 3 piece system in a DISTINCT package form..with a package discount.

What if you could get a pair of rsw15s in passive enclosures...plus a kilowatt amp for $2295?

The 6 ksw15 idea borderlines on the ludicrous.You're debating for arguement sake...with no intention of practical applications for your POV.

What we should be considering is what the HT enthusiast is going to feel is acceptable in their own room/HT.(compared to what they're going to roll their eyes and chuckle at(6 large boxes)

SVS thought that serious HT enthusiasts would accept dual 16" cylinders that had a total footprint around 3.5 sq-ft.Judging from the interest to date...it cannot be argued we were in error regarding this.

Let the other guys conform to SVS from now on...the bar has been raised...

TV

How does the Earthquake Super Nova 12 FIT into all of this? How come nobody ever mentions this bad boy? I bet you guys think its not muscial? Here's my opnion of the SVS: They take high quality automotive subwoofers probably made by audiomobile (looks just like it) and stuff them in super large containers and power them EXTERNALLY because then they can just buy an amp from a manufacture. They tune the ports really deep and say they have created the next best thing. As a fact, their design seems non critical since lots of people have recreated the same design from scratch. Every manufacture can give huge boxes and get better sound, its just that most Normal people don't want huge boxes in their house. I personally won't want TWO huge tubes next to the TV. Lets see them design a Sunfire, you just can't pop a radiator and a speaker in a box and get a sunfire.

------------------

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

Boy... you hit the nail right on the head. They just popped a radiator and a automobile woofer into a big box and called it their own. Then they can power it with an amp that somebody else manufactured so that's one more thing they don't have to worry about. Yeah... that's it! Hello? McFly? Anybody in there?!

I hope you're kidding with that assessment. And for what it's worth, the SVS tubes take up less floor space than the Sunfire. Granted, they happen to be 3' tall but the footprint is smaller...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems