Man accidentally shoots himself without a gun

This kid is not too smart, there has got to be an easier way to make a buck.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/whacking.bullets.ap/index.html

LAKE LUZERNE, New York (AP) -- A young man shot himself without using a gun.

Damion M. Mosher, who put bullets in a vise and whacked them with a hammer to empty the brass shell casings, was hit in the abdomen by one of the shots, authorities said.

Warren County deputies said they were called to Mosher's home in Lake Luzerne on Saturday afternoon after one bullet went about a half-inch into his abdomen. He was treated at Glens Falls Hospital and was released. No charges were filed.

Mosher, 18, told authorities he was trying to empty the .223-caliber rounds to collect the brass casings for scrap.

Sheriff Larry Cleveland said about 100 other rounds that Mosher hit had "fizzled," but one was somehow sent with more force. It was unclear if the bullet ricocheted or hit him directly.

An employee of an Albany scrap metal company told The Post-Star of Glens Falls that the business pays $1.70 a pound for scrap brass shell casings.

Cleveland said Mosher's shells amounted to just a few pounds.

Lake Luzerne, at the southeastern edge of the Adirondacks, is 45 miles north of Albany.

Funny thing is, go to any firing range and you can pick those off the ground by the hundreds. Many people (not all) who have the AK's, the minny14's, the SKS's shoot them like they have no sense. The simply point down range and empty clip after clip just to hear the "gun go bang".

Most other folks at the range remove their brass for hand loading or to trade in to someone else who hand loads for them as factory rounds have a tendency to be loaded rather inconsistant.

EDIT: I must correct myself. The AK's and SKS's use 7.62 x 39's....My bad There so cheap it is futile to reload them

EDIT'S, EDIT: The 7.62 x 39 users are even more obnoxious due to the low cost factor.

Funny thing is, go to any firing range and you can pick those off the ground by the hundreds. Many people (not all) who have the AK's, the minny14's, the SKS's shoot them like they have no sense. The simply point down range and empty clip after clip just to hear the "gun go bang".

Most other folks at the range remove their brass for hand loading or to trade in to someone else who hand loads for them as factory rounds have a tendency to be loaded rather inconsistant.

EDIT: I must correct myself. The AK's and SKS's use 7.62 x 39's....My bad There so cheap it is futile to reload them

EDIT'S, EDIT: The 7.62 x 39 users are even more obnoxious due to the low cost factor.

Boy, is that ever true. If those "shooters" were to spend an afternoon with a .22 at a plinking range, with steel plates, moving targets, various distances, target sizes and range layout they would have lots more fun and improve their shooting eye to boot. Watch a real hunter or target shooter spend hours sighting and working with a spotting scope. Or competitive ***** and trap shooters spend a whole day working on one shot over and over and over again just to work out the one tiny flaw in their swing. That is the real spirit of shooting.

Sorry, it's a sore point.

- Jim

Funny story...kinda. I'm glad it had a happy ending with a minor injury rather than a death. A friend of mine in college had a little brother who did the same thing, except in shop class at high school and the shells were of the 30-06 variety! No one was injured and he was suspended.

-David

Boy, is that ever true. If those "shooters" were to spend an afternoon with a .22 at a plinking range, with steel plates, moving targets, various distances, target sizes and range layout they would have lots more fun and improve their shooting eye to boot. Watch a real hunter or target shooter spend hours sighting and working with a spotting scope. Or competitive ***** and trap shooters spend a whole day working on one shot over and over and over again just to work out the one tiny flaw in their swing. That is the real spirit of shooting.

Sorry, it's a sore point.

- Jim

Couldn't agree more. They know how to ruin a good range in a few short seconds. I've seen these guys blast a thousand rounds. It has gotten to the point where when they come, I leave. In our new house we hopefully will be in by the summer, one of the items of importance is land where one of the things I will do is set up a firing range.