A review of Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Allison Krauss & Union Station

PhilMays

You are a lucky dude, Phil! I'm a little miffed they're not touring out west...Enjoy the show! I saw them together in SF, when Allison was only about 16 years old, just being introduced to her eventual fans. What a lovely talent!

Let me first start by saying that while I have heard Tony Rice's work with David Grisman, I had no idea what a treat I was in for!!!

Basically this was Tony Rice. Due to him no longer able to sing, he asked Allison Krauss to tour with him and they are a seamless pair. The show started with a few warm-ups, then Tony Rice did an extended solo. While I have seen fast "riffing" on electric guitars, I have never seen fret board work like this before on an accoustic guitar, a Martin of some sort no less!

The best for me was when Dobro master, Jerry Douglas, joined him for several extended numbers. Just Tony and Jerry! WOW! They sure had a connection and even Jerry had to admit that Tony brought out the best in him.

Allison Krauss and Union Station finished out the concert with him. Allison has such a silky smooth voice that can absolutely BOOM at any given time. She sang every song key dead on!

Dan Tyminski, who sang the "O' Brother where art thou" song for George Clooney, has a wonderful tenor voice and was dead on for every song.

TIf there was a dissapointing part for me was that this was all about Tony Rice. Allsison only sang one of her songs (Can I touch you for a while) and Dan did not sing his song.

I learned a lot last night....Tony Rice is the MAN! And was last night!!!

Phil.

Wish I had known you were going to be there. I only live about 10 miles from the Salem Civic Center. I was lucky enough to win some tickets on the radio a couple of days before the concert. I believe Allison only sang one or 2 songs of her own. The rest were all tony's. If you get up this way again let me know. I'd love to meet a fellow klipscher.

Dave

Hi Dave,

What a bummer....I would have loved to meet you. We stayed at the Hotel Roanoke Friday night and tooled around downtown Saturday. Roanoke is just too much fun, I think.

We come to Roanoke quite often actually. I think our next trip up may very well be to Mountain Lake. I've been there many, many time, but never overnight. However I have camped in one of the campgrounds a little ways away from there.