f-113 subwoofer woofing too much!!!

Roc Rinaldi

I own an f-113 JL Audio sobwoofer. When listening to special effects of movies, I am noticing a strange sound coming from my subwoofer.

This only occurs with extremely low frequencies. What I hear is something like a rapping or "thrapping" sound coming from the sub at relatively high volumes. It almost sounds like distortion but can this be possible with an f-113? After all, "product of the year", "best sub I' ve ever reviewed", etc, etc., etc..

Is this normal for extremely low frequencies? It doesn't sound like just a low note sound but rather more like a "rapping" sound. It doesn't sound right to me.

Any ideas?

Well I am taking a guess, you should not hear rapping, I assume when this happens the woofer is moving considerably. Its a sealed cabinet, which will typically provide more controlled bass, but does limit the out put to keep up withe the very effecient Klipsch speakers you own. I assume its loud when this occurs and all products have thier limits. I would use a sound pressure decible meter to see what is being pumped out in the room, if its less than spec you make have an issue with the internals of your sub, if its louder than you think you could have room modes that are ineffect canceling out your bass that you hear, meaning the sub is working its butt off but your room is nullifying it. Its either turn it down, broken sub or adjust the placement/room treatments.

Whats your low frequency trim set to?

Consider for a moment that the F113 could be located in a null. You would have to turn it up considerably to get a lot of sound. You may be pushing it too hard. Have you tried moving it around? Like what was said before, get an spl meter and measure your in-room response. Tell us what SPL you are running. "Relatively high levels" is relative.

I have the sub's volume control turned all the way up. The sub has a 25 hz separate volume control that goes from -15 to +3 db. I have this set all the way up at +3 db.

I am using these settings because I really want the sub to contribute a lot to the sound.

My A/V controller is set to 60 hz and sends all 60 hz and lower signals to the sub.

How far in front of the subwoofer speaker do I place the sound meter?

I don't really have any options for moving it to another location in the room.

The sub cabinet is not moving at all. It weighs 130 lbs.

How large is the room? Is there any openings to other rooms? DID YOU CALIBRATE IT WITH AN SPL METER?

The room is 24 X 23 X 7.4, fully carpeted, heavy fabric furniture, heavy fabric drapes, plus I've added blankets and quilts draped over chairs and furniture to deaden the room, which seems quite dead to me. Yes, there is an open stairway at one back corner which sucks up a lot of any reverberations.

How far in front of the subwoofer speaker do I place my sound meter?

I would put the sound meter at your listening position and then 1 meter away, C wieghted. Based on your settings, its seems like its putting out huge volumes of bass. You might try and adjust the low end to be 0 or -3, it should help a great deal. To Jay's point, make sure its not something in the room shaking, Its easier to tell that by listening to your sub alone with out the mains.

I would put the sound meter at your listening position and then 1 meter away, C wieghted. Based on your settings, its seems like its putting out huge volumes of bass. You might try and adjust the low end to be 0 or -3, it should help a great deal. To Jay's point, make sure its not something in the room shaking, Its easier to tell that by listening to your sub alone with out the mains.

When I use the sound meter do I let the whole system play or just the sub?

I'm sure that it is not something in the room shaking.

With the sound meter use it with every thing playing. It works best if you have a demo disk that plays specific frequencies so you can narrow it down. I mean just tell me this, when the sub starts making noise, are you really cranking your system? Is it very loud? If so I think you just hit the peak out put on the sub and your woofer is hitting the basket.

Sounds like you may be running it "hot".

Needs proper calibrating.

I will agree with the above.

Plus a question for Roc, whe you say you hear artifacts when pushing the sub ..remove the grill and look at the driver cone...how many inches is the cone moving(total back and forth)...two inches...three inches or more. If it is under 3.5inches you should have ZERO such problems....and do you have a dedicated free 15A line? If shared with how many devices?

My JL f113's can reach huge excusions ....cone travel to what I would estimate at over 3 inches and no parasitic noise to report...there is very slight mechanical noise...it is minimal...nowhere to the point to call attention or bother me.Any sub driver has mechanical noise,simply it cannot intrude on the signal being reproduces in a noticable way.

Guest BobG

So you've got the master volume maxed out and the 25Hz and under control maxed out and you're wondering what the problem is on extremely loud extremely low end effects???????????

Every product has limits. Congratulations on finding the limits of this very fine product.

So you've got the master volume maxed out and the 25Hz and under control maxed out and you're wondering what the problem is on extremely loud extremely low end effects???????????

Every product has limits. Congratulations on finding the limits of this very fine product.

LOL! [:D]

Go ahead and tear it up! There's more where this one came from! [:P]

Yeah yeah you tell him Bob. [:)]

I have the sub's volume control turned all the way up. The sub has a 25 hz separate volume control that goes from -15 to +3 db. I have this set all the way up at +3 db.

Proper calibration is essential. Your dials set all the way up is not healthy at these volumes. Everything has a limit

I sounds perhaps like you're expecting too much. Your $3k isn't all SPL, it's about clarity and realism, too. Are you used to car audio where the bass can literally suck the breath out of you? Home theater subs won't work like that (of course there are extreme exceptions).