System matching

Tom_E

Hey guys, this is my first post.
I just bought Klipsch RF-82, and i have some questions.
1. I have also bought Roksan Kandy MK III stereo amp and cd/dvd player. Is this a good match? (This system is for music only. I listen to rock/heavy metal/pop/techno)
2. Cable-question: I have Monster MCX 1.5 mm2 2x3 meters cable. Do i need to go up to 2.5 mm2 or even 4 mm2 cables? I think the system lacks bass as it is now.
3. I'v heard that the speakers need about 500 hours of "burn-in". I'v played the system for about 80-100 hours now, is is gonna change alot? If so, what will happen?

Thanks!

-Tom

Anything that's gonna change in a new set of speakers is done in a week or so of normal listening -- you're already there. As for the gear, that Kandy integrated has been favorably reviewed. If it sounds good to you on those 82's then that's all that matters. If you're looking down the upgrade path, then I would say with your musical tastes, and if you like to listen loud -- you might consider working towards a tube set up.

"Anything that's gonna change in a new set of speakers is done in a week or so of normal listening"

Not always. Our Lowthers required literally hundreds of hours. I'm not talking about crossover components, which IMO don't require break in, but rather mechanical factors related to the surround material -- butyl, foam, doped fabric accordian, etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the help! :)
The gear sound very nice on some things(acustics, live performance), but its not the "raw power"-feeling i expected on some things(the bass dosent give much power before i punch up the volume alot).
Stupid question: Will the spikes that was in the boxes provide more bass?
Any tube-amps you would recomend?

Put the spikes in and see if you like it better. Watch out on scratching hardwood floors. My take is the spikes sound better. It has an effect of making the speakers heavier since all the weight is now focused on a very tiny area ie the four points of the spikes.

• 4 weeks later...

I'v put them on. The sound is a bit rounder.

But i have a new question for you all! :) I am looking for a Klipsch sub for my RF-82's. And i can't decide whitch one!

Either the RSW-10d or the RW-12d.

It's only for music.

Before buying a sub I'd suggest you play with placement. If corners are available tuck the speaker back in the corner and see what happens with the bass. If no corners then use the back wall and do the same. Then slowly start moving them inch by inch out until things start to sound right. Also play with toe in as you go. Placement is very important.

This problem could very well be your amplifier not being a good mate to your efficient speakers. Which would explain why it seems to sound fine when you crank the volume up but not so well at lower levels. The Volume control on the amplifier could be causing a miller effect at very low levels. How much travel are you getting on the VC at your normal listening levels? The specs of the amp say 470mV to full power which is pretty low for efficient speakers.

Craig

Thanks for a intresting response! Sadly, i havent got any corners to spare in my stupid apartment. But placement was something i was going to ask about.

My speakers are 144 cm apart and 18 cm from the back of each speaker to the wall(wood panel if that matters...).

Tomorrow, i will try to move the speakers around and listen for any changes.

Roksan Kandy amp is a good, amp, but i can't find anyone with the Klipsch combo. The best amp for my music taste would be tubes i guess... But i'm satisfied with the sound, it just lack that low bass.

Thanks again fellow norwegian!

The gear sound very nice on some things(acustics, live performance), but its not the "raw power"-feeling i expected on some things(the bass dosent give much power before i punch up the volume alot).

Generally speaking, you won't get "kicking-hard" bass at low volume, unless you have the bass turned up so loud it will sound terrible at normal volume. That's why some pre-amps and receivers have "loudness" controls.

Hard music usually wants high volume, soft music sounds best at lower volume, IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Having a nice summer? We are having a rainfull summer over here unfortunatly...

I have some questions about tube-amps. I am looking for a "fat-sound" for rock and techno, and i have been checking out Copland CTA 305, but it seems like this amp is very "non-fatty" sound...

Anyone have some recommandations? Some nice tubes around 2000-3000 dollars?

Summergreetings from Tom in Norway