Bose 901 Series II - Best looking 901's I've seen!

OK, I thought I'd start another thread on Bose 901's, since the first one was so popular. I keep these in my shop. A guy actually gave me these and I refoamed the drivers and installed solid walnut panels on them, I finished them with a poly satin. I think they are the best looking 901s I have ever seen. If someone wants to buy them they could probably pry them out of my hands for big $$$$. grin.gif

Actually, they don't sound too bad and I have had worse speakers that cost a lot more in my home. I hook up a Crown Power Amp with 150 watts per channel to them and go crazy!

Single901.jpg

Pair901s.jpg

Too funny! I was going to make a comment that things looked awfully tidy!

You would love (or hate?) a very good friend of mine...

We were at his home in the kitchen. Sitting at the black laquer table, playing cards. He had previously moved a flower arraingment he had there so we'd have an open surface. When we were done, there were fingerprints ALL over that table so, he got the windex out wiped down the table, got it spotless and put the flowers back in the center of the table. I quiety sat there with the edge of the table holding my arms up, hands clasped together. The palm of one of my hands drooped down and simply TOUCHED the table, leaving a "palm print" about the size of a quarter. What did my friend do? Gets up, moves the flowers, gets the windex out, cleans the ENTIRE table, puts windex back and replaces flowers.

To this day, I bug him about that!!

You can count on his house always being magazine spotless however, I've got to wonder about the extra effort it takes to keep it "spotless" as opposed to "lived in looking, but neat"

[*-)]

This model does not have the honey comb chambers and the ports which makes them very easy to build. I used to build these for 66 bucks a pair during the late 80's.

Guys you have to stop you have me pondering the notion of running a 5 channel Bose 901 system with possibly Bose 301's or 4.2's as side surrounds/rear effects. How would you equalize the single center channel speaker. Don't you need a monitorable tape loop to use the Bose compensation equalizer or can it go between the preamp and amp?

5 on stands or hanging from the ceiling would be interesting, I have enough power at 200W x 7 @ 8 Ohms or 300W @ 4 Ohms.

What does a nice pair of Series VI's w/stands sell for used these days. Is there a best or favorite series or is the Series VI the best ones to get?

I got's to know! [:D]

Too funny! I was going to make a comment that things looked awfully tidy!

You would love (or hate?) a very good friend of mine...

We were at his home in the kitchen. Sitting at the black laquer table, playing cards. He had previously moved a flower arraingment he had there so we'd have an open surface. When we were done, there were fingerprints ALL over that table so, he got the windex out wiped down the table, got it spotless and put the flowers back in the center of the table. I quiety sat there with the edge of the table holding my arms up, hands clasped together. The palm of one of my hands drooped down and simply TOUCHED the table, leaving a "palm print" about the size of a quarter. What did my friend do? Gets up, moves the flowers, gets the windex out, cleans the ENTIRE table, puts windex back and replaces flowers.

To this day, I bug him about that!!

You can count on his house always being magazine spotless however, I've got to wonder about the extra effort it takes to keep it "spotless" as opposed to "lived in looking, but neat"

[*-)]

I bet he's not married....

Man, that's a lot of WADERS, you go fishing much up there in Minnesota?

Are we sure those are 901-based? They should be trapezoid shaped with 8 drivers on the backside. These appear to be rectangular and are placed right up against the shelf (unless my eyes aren't working right this am)

If you had to refoam the drivers, they aren't Series II drivers. The Series I and Series II drivers have cloth surrounds and I've never seen the surrounds deteriorate unless they were simply blown up or poked.

The walnut trim kit was an optional accessory for the earlier 901's and attached with double-sticky foam tape. The tape can tend to deteriorate so I replaced mine with Velcro. Screwing them down is a definite faux pas and I'd knock $100 off the value of the speakers for that alone. They are also set up in a way that will destroy the what limited sound reproduction quality they possessed in the first place.

My set of 901 II's are original, have perfect wood veneer without screws, walnut trim kit and grill cloths, and the original pedestal stands, do I'd have to say they are better looking than yours. Your speaker wires are run more neatly, though. [:)]

If you had to refoam the drivers, they aren't Series II drivers. The Series I and Series II drivers have cloth surrounds and I've never seen the surrounds deteriorate unless they were simply blown up or poked.

The walnut trim kit was an optional accessory for the earlier 901's and attached with double-sticky foam tape. The tape can tend to deteriorate so I replaced mine with Velcro. Screwing them down is a definite faux pas and I'd knock $100 off the value of the speakers for that alone. They are also set up in a way that will destroy the what limited sound reproduction quality they possessed in the first place.

My set of 901 II's are original, have perfect wood veneer without screws, walnut trim kit and grill cloths, and the original pedestal stands, do I'd have to say they are better looking than yours. Your speaker wires are run more neatly, though. [:)]

They are definitely Series II - I have had this discussion with many. The Cloth Surround were changed over During the series II release. Some were cloth, some were foam. Mine were foam. As far as Walnut Panels - Mine are Custom made out of solid Walnut 1/4 inch thick. I prefer to screw them down. No vibration. So this is not the cheap kit that came with 901's - This is all solid Walnut, custom fit and finished.

Man, that's a lot of WADERS, you go fishing much up there in Minnesota?

Are we sure those are 901-based? They should be trapezoid shaped with 8 drivers on the backside. These appear to be rectangular and are placed right up against the shelf (unless my eyes aren't working right this am)

I fish all over the world. And those are only half of the waders I own, with various leaks and pin holes.

- 901's are not Trapezoid shaped. They are shaped exactly like the Khorn Top Hat. Yes they have 8 drivers on the back.