Need a cheap tube pre-amp

Spkrdctr

Best laugh I have had all week Duke thanks fir tht one..[;)].Just sold my Conrad Johnson for $300.00 + shipping new owner is thrilled with it. Good luck Spkrdctr, deal's like that dont come alone ever day & you have to be fast on the trigger. But keep watching this board they pop up ocassionally.

Cornman

I have heard from you guys that all I need is a tube preamp, to hook into my amp and I will get the tube sound. So, I need a $50 tube preamp. Anyone have one for sale?

If you got the parts lying about, you could build a tube linestage pretty much for nothing.....

Sorry, nobody on this forum is named, Stu Peed. 36_11_6.gif

The only way you get one for that price on this forum is a divorce settlement where one of our members sells it for nothing to spite his ex-wife. Other than that, try the $350 range for a used unit, then you might have some luck.

I love Muttley, it definitely brought a smile to my face.

You MIGHT be able to get the tubes for $50.00. But if you want a recommendation for a good inexpensive preamp with tubes then take a look at the Juicy Music Merlin. There are folks on this board that have them and might comment. I believe $800 range.

Even at $350........you'll probably only get about $350 worth of sound. How happy do you want to be AFTER you buy your preamp?

I just seen a Vincent Audio SA-31 Hybrid tube pre-amp on Audio Advisor for $500.00. I'm trying to find out if it's worthwhile because I'm looking for one under $1,000.00 myself.

Thanks guys, so I need to fine a used Juicy Music Merlin and I'm there. I will start looking....if any of you guys accidently drop one or otherwise need to dump one quick for chump change, I'm your chump. Also, is it true that the preamp is all you need? That will give me the tube sound, right?

A tube preamp with a SS power amp can indeed yield that sweet tube sound. Not all SS amps are good matches, though. Some impedance issues that are far more technical than my understanding.

The above combo is better for tube sound than a SS preamp and tube power amp. The preamp seems to carry more freight on the tube sound.