Forbes and Turntables-This Is The End

thebes

Run for cover boys we're becoming trendy. Could end up being worse then that hold-em poker phase.

Yes the June 4th issue of Forbes has an entire article dedicated to none other than the resurgence of the turntable.

Thebes why are you reading Forbes you might say? Well sure I like to keep an eye on my 3 shares of International Buggy-whip Corp, but I use the Economist for that. No actually this was given to me by a neighbor

Tables covered: Continuum Caliburn ($100,000) Rega P3, Brinkman Balance ($18,000), SME Model 30/2 ($30,000) VPi Scout ($2,400 with cart) and Pro-ject Debut III (best low-end at $300).

VPI's sales have grown from $3 to $7 million in the last 5 years. Recent Stereophile lps recommendations are included and there's a quote from some guy named Craig Kallman whose has over 300,000 lps.The author owns a P3 and after doing the article he's jonesing for a VPI.

Mark my words, pretty soon the forum will be overwhelmed by Beemer-driving, chablis sipping shallow poseurs bragging on their $25,000 stylus replacement.

I just bought a $250 Ortofon MM and I'm almost embarrassed to pen a review.

I'm thinking of pulling up stakes and heading out for the Camping Gear Forum.

It's OK Thebes, there's always the bragging rights in the BPD category. There's also nothing wrong with drinking Chablis (as long as it really is Chablis and not some mis-named retard) or nothing to be afraid of from those who appreciate it. The forum has always been the place where trendsetters hang out, just wait until the Robb Report tells all those rich dorks that they need horns in place of those silly little cubes.

Cool, maybe I can get one of those free-floating TT's modified for car audio.........and I can hear me now:

GD speed bumps and railroad tracks, SOB! You laugh, but in the 70's my cousin had an entire HE system in his Conversion Van w/an AC/DC converter(minus the TT, of course)

A friend of mine is willing to sell me his Oracle w/Sumiko MMT tonearm and Grado Platinum MC cart for $600. I have no doubt it is a good deal, but do I really need to upgrade from my B&O?

Cool, maybe I can get one of those free-floating TT's modified for car audio.........and I can hear me now:

GD speed bumps and railroad tracks, SOB! You laugh, but in the 70's my cousin had an entire HE system in his Conversion Van w/an AC/DC converter(minus the TT, of course)

A friend of mine is willing to sell me his Oracle w/Sumiko MMT tonearm and Grado Platinum MC cart for $600. I have no doubt it is a good deal, but do I really need to upgrade from my B&O?

Dude! You do realize that you are in upgrade enablers paradise?

Mark my words, pretty soon the forum will be overwhelmed by Beemer-driving, chablis sipping shallow poseurs bragging on their $25,000 stylus replacement.

I just bought a $250 Ortofon MM and I'm almost embarrassed to pen a review.

Never mind the poseurs, how are you liking your Ortofon? I'm wondering if I should upgrade from my Shure M97xE.

Islander, off-topic again...

I was in an electronics store the other day and they were doing a demonstration of one of those new PMP (portable media player) machines that plays everything (MP3, WAV, WMV, DIVX from a DVD or CD disk) with a 7 inch screen that folds flat on top.

Poor sod doing the demo is asking questions to the assembled onlookers and turns to me asking:

"And you Sir - what format is your music in?"

You can imagine how crestfallen he was when I replied that I had about 1500 vinyl records.

Quick as a flash though he responded with "and you can record those digtially to play back on here."

He didn't ask me any more questions so I moved on. I did not mention that my phone does most of what his machine does so I guess he got off lightly in the end.

Foolish question, but allow me to rephrase:

Is the Oracle w/attachments a worthy upgrade given the price range? I believe it to be the Alexandria model

Not a foolish question at all. Keeping an eye out for upgrades is always a good thing. The thing to consider is the comparison of value. Your MMC-2 is one of the very finest cartridges at any price; if your table is good and solid I would keep the B&O even if you were tempted to add something else.

I run MMC6000's on my B&O 1900 (over 30 years old, now) and personally would never consider looking elsewhere.

Don't bother. When I was in retail and sold camping equipment 20 years ago, I was selling $500 excursion tents to upscale soccer moms who were buying a tent for their kids backyard sleep over, and turning up their noses at the $75 model. Camping gear is already, apparently, trendy.

Ok maybe I won't de-camp after all.

Who knows, maybe if I butter up the corporate swells they'll fly me in on their private jets to check out the system they just installed in their villas in the south of France.

And let's face it Oldtimer. Who doesn't appreciate a fine Chablis in the warm summer months accompanied by some lighter fare. Your cautionary words were wise.

Island Mon, I will be posting a review on the cart, just want some more time listening. It should be up within the week.