Check out Gary's new toy!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have built up three TD-124s over the past 15 years and all three had VERY minor wear to the lower plate that I was able to polish to a mirror finish with crocus cloth. The wear on the one in your picture is AMAZING. I can't imagine how the table must have sounded! In talking with other TD-124 owners I think I have just been very lucky with the tables I have come across--probably very lightly used examples!

My wife just called and I have 3 boxes sitting in my foyer.

Are you home tonight Allan? I might be too impatient to wait until Sunday!!

Sure! I should be home around 10:00-10:30 your time!! Call me any time . . .

Or call me on my mobile if you're chomping at the bit BEFORE then!

I'll get things organized before I call. I'd like to get started around 9:00 my time. I'll call your cell if it's before 10:00.

I guess I'll put it together up in the den. I'll spend more time redialing your number if I do it in the basement.

Unless you physically inspect the thrust plate, how do you know when excessive wear is present? What are the telltale signs or indicators?

Speed problems. Rumble, noise in general. Any turntable with friction in the bearing is cause for concern. It's really easy to inspect though. Pull the platter out, peek in the well with a flashlight. You can see the spot on the thrust plate where the ball sits quite easily. I think the bigger divets like in the picture came from people's poor handling of the turntable over the years, not so much normal wear. These platters are so heavy, and the entire weight of the platter sits on this little ball bearing. I can see people moving these tables around over the yeasrs. Lifting here, plunking it down there. Two or three plunks and you can wind up with a thrust plate like pictured above.

While I'm at it, the other serious problem I've encountered with these tables is a motor that runs like glue and/or once it is warmed up and running, is noisy as hell. Interesting thing, these motors has a very similar thrust plate in the bottom that the motor spindle rides on. Like a mini version of the main bearing. The motor spindle has a tiny little ball bearing in the bottom of it that rides on a flat thrust plate. The trust plate here can be diveted as well. That's a source for noise. And I have also found that by disassembling and cleaning the bearings that house the motor shaft, these tables can come up to speed much quicker than often reported. I think you can see the bottom of the motor spindle and the ball bearing in this picture... doesn't look all that bad.

post-15692-13819334427648_thumb.jpg

But when you get inside that sealed up sandwich of a bearing that the shaft rides in... it can be pretty ugly. I would totally clean and degrease these parts and relube them. The Schopper kit also included a ball and thrust plate for the motor. Rivet it back together and this motor ran like a charm. If anyone attempts this... Make sure you don't screw the motor back together too tight. The 4 screws that hold everything together. Too tight and the motor won't turn. Too loose and you'll have too much play. Have to do a Goldilocks thing and get it just right.

post-15692-13819334428338_thumb.jpg