Cats and Cornwall's

rcarlton

A friend of mine bought a pair of 1980 oiled walnut Cornwall I's built by Andy. They came with the original documentation. Sold new for $1,396.00, he got them for $430.00

Problem...looks as if a cat peed on the riser and grills of the speakers. The risers smell and are separating. The bottom of the grill doesn't look too good (didn't smell it). One side of a Cornwall is bleached near the bottom, either from the sun or cat pee. Any suggestions in getting these babies back in shape so they meet the dreaded WAF?

Attached is a picture of the front grill. Also notice one Klipsch badge missing. No big deal.

post-18740-13819334660388_thumb.jpg

bad kitty

you could recover the frames, but my guess is that if they've been wet that the thin vertical uprights near the ports have been weakened. This is where CW grille boards usually break down anyways. You might contact Budman or PopBumper if you need new grille boards or complete grilles made. I think they both have CNC machines or great lathes. I have some of each of their work and they are craftsmen!

A few hits of Febreze along the bottoms of the cabinets should kill any remaining kittyfunk.

M

I have 3 cats. When they were little they used to go inside my cornwalls and sleep on the shelf. They also tore up the acoustic material inside to a degree. But.....they never did their business in there. I was lucky.

To me....it looks more like a dog lifted his leg on occasion on those cornwalls. Does not look like the work of a cat.

That model is difficult to change grill cloth. But if you remove the drivers and tape carefully you could use a light coat of flat black spray paint to fix the discoloration. I have done this and it works. You do not want a heavy coating on there....just enough to achieve uniform color over the whole front. Go easy where the driver exits are.

If you are more ambitious you could replace the grill cloth....but that's a lot more work.

The risers are easily removable and can be either sanded (very carefully) and refinished or re-veneered. Even if it's not a perfect match, it'll be hard to tell. The grills are also easily replacable or the cloth can just be replaced if that is all that was damaged.

I'm suprised that the bill of sale was $1396. I still have the original receipt for my 1980 Cornwalls and paid $1400 on the nose. I was under the impression that I paid a premium for an exotic veneer but I suppose that wasn't the case. I guess $1400 was full retail price in 1980 for veneered Cornwalls with risers.

To whomever has or has had this problem...

If a cat did anything to your speaker, or to anything else in your house, it is because 'you' didn't do your responsibility to provide them with a better place to scatch, take a wiz, or whatever.

So don't blame the cat, take full credit for not doing your job by not providing a better scratching post (do you even have one? And if so, take the hint that it is inadequate. A sufficient litter pan? Take full credit if the cat goes elsewhere...). If 'you' make half as much an effort providing for their needs as you do complaining or punishing them for your failure to provide for their needs, 'you' won't have a problem.

Punish the cat? Right. Now that's misplaced attention!

If a cat did anything to your speaker, or to anything else in your house, it is because 'you' didn't do your responsibility to provide them with a better place to scatch, take a wiz, or whatever.

So don't blame the cat, take full credit for not doing your job by not providing a better scratching post (do you even have one? And if so, take the hint that it is inadequate. A sufficient litter pan? Take full credit if the cat goes elsewhere...). If 'you' make half as much an effort providing for their needs as you do complaining or punishing them for your failure to provide for their needs, 'you' won't have a problem.

I'll bet you're a fun guy to have at a party.

A friend of mine bought a pair of 1980 oiled walnut Cornwall I's. They came with the original documentation. Sold new for $1,396.00, he got them for $430.00

Problem...looks as if a cat peed on the riser and grills of the speakers. The risers smell and are separating. The bottom of the grill doesn't look too good (didn't smell it). One side of a Cornwall is bleached near the bottom, either from the sun or cat pee. Any suggestions in getting these babies back in shape so they meet the dreaded WAF?

Attached is a picture of the front grill. Also notice one Klipsch badge missing. No big deal.

How can you be sure it was cat piss? Perhaps the old owner was incontinent.

Uh, Mark, it was the previous owner, not the current one.

It wasn't 'aimed' at any particular person. I tried to make the "you" a more apparent editorial 'you' - referring to whomever may be reading the post, if the shoe fit as it were...

It was just in regards to the oft recurring theme where folks freak out (usually) over some perceived threat by cats in regards to their stereo.

And regarding how much fun I am at parties...my cat and I have a mutual non-disclosure agreement. After all, if one of us would talk, the other would talk, and then we would both end up in jail...[;)]

Uh, Mark, it was the previous owner, not the current one.

It wasn't 'aimed' at any particular person. I tried to make the "you" a more apparent editorial 'you' - referring to whomever may be reading the post, if the shoe fit as it were...

It was just in regards to the oft recurring theme where folks freak out (usually) over some perceived threat by cats in regards to their stereo.

And regarding how much fun I am at parties...my cat (a Bombay which is, as best I can tell, half monkey and half dog) and I have a mutual non-disclosure agreement. After all, if one of us were to talk, the other would talk, and then we would both end up in jail...[;)]

Of course, if he (the cat) talked, I wonder if he would end up in jail before or after his appearance on Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, et. al.? Now what would Paris do???

I agree with Mas. I have 3 cats that live in my basement. 2 of them are almost 10 years old. ALL my stereo equipment is down there right in their living space and so are all my speakers. None of my cats have EVER scratched or done anything otherwise to any of my Klipsch speaker grills with the exception of what I mention above on the inside of my cornwalls when they were kittens. They are well taken care of and spoiled like little kids. They are indoor/outdoor and have plenty of opportunity to sharpen their claws and do their business without getting involved with my stereo stuff.

I have to work at keeping things clean and do weekly hair removal of course. But it is clean down there and after all the years I think they understand what to do and what not to do.

I'm not disagreeing with you Mas. You just came off a little.....um.....harsh at nobody in particular??

One of my forum friends has 2 cats that live happily with his speakers and gear. He even had plexiglass covers built for his amps so the cats can sit on them while they're on and warm themselves, not burning themselves directly on a hot tube. They have the run of the house and although they jump on his Khorns and amps, they never cause any harm. Their scratching posts are elsewhere. The only room in which they are not allowed is the room with the TT and that door remains closed.

I have no pets.

Mark, just shoot the cat and be done with it. OK?

Let me get this straight. So if my wife becomes pregnant I suppose it is my fault?

I'll bet you're a fun guy to have at a party.

Perhaps a cat killing party.