Running 5.1 with a 7.1 Receiver ?

thewolf

No problem.........5.1 will be fine.....I would guess it might be less strain on the receiver running just 5.1, instead of 7 channels driven.....That's all I run 5.1 with my Yamaha, but I have the option of going to 7.1 if I so desire..............It's Fine to use it that way..........

This may show my ignorance, but aren't there a select few DVD's that have 6.1? The extended editions of the Lord of the Rings come to mind. And as for true 7.1, I am just waiting on this stupid format war to end or a least somebody that releases a player that doesn't run like an out of date computer or any equipment from Comcast.

If you're planning to buy a new receiver, you might as well get a 7.1 unit, even to run 5.1, since by now 5.1 and 6.1 receivers are mostly bottom of the line or not the latest technology. A 7.1 unit will be current for a longer time.

In most cases, the menu will allow you to select Rear Surround x 1, Rear Surround x 2, or None. You can run a 7.1 receiver in 2-channel stereo, 3.1, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. With most receivers, as you select additional channels, the power per channel goes down, but the apparent volume goes up, with more speakers moving air.

As far as standared DVD, there is no TRUE 7.1. There IS 6.1 though. DTS-ES is the best 6.1 format. Now as far as HD DVD/ Blu Ray, those discs are capable of producing UP TO 13 channels of discrete sound. So you can definitely look forward to TRUE 7.1 on these discs. As far as turning your back surround channels off, if you get a receiver with some kind of auto calibraton, it will do all that for you. Literally all you have to do is hook up your speakers.