It's Time for A Turntable Contest

thebes

Are you selling this Gary?

This is one one of my favorite "reference" albums, I have played it 100's of times and everytime I look at that TT and wonder... what is that????

I have been jonesing for a 124 or something similar of late. It would be great to find a table of equal quality thet did not have the "cult status" value of the the 124.

Speaking of "The Nightfly," someone should jump on this BIN option! (wink, wink)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130125975275&rd=1&rd=1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one with a Very Heavy tracking weight.

Where is that turntable? In the late 70s, I worked at the CN Spadina roundhouse in Toronto, which had a similar turntable. It was demolished in order to build the CN Tower.

The Canadian Pacific roundhouse nearby was later sold and became a brewery, Steam Whistle Beer.

What a coincidence - I'm drinking a beer right now.

That turntable is in south eastern British Columbia (Cranbrook).

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21511

Are you selling this Gary?

This is one one of my favorite "reference" albums, I have played it 100's of times and everytime I look at that TT and wonder... what is that????

I have been jonesing for a 124 or something similar of late. It would be great to find a table of equal quality thet did not have the "cult status" value of the the 124.

Speaking of "The Nightfly," someone should jump on this BIN option! (wink, wink)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130125975275&rd=1&rd=1

Yes. That would be me.

Hit the BIN button Mike and I'll throw in shipping.[ap]

Seems like Allen came the closest but I really have no idea what it is either. Affaciandoes may note that the lp sleeve next to the TT is an album by Sonny Rollins.

So let's try this one. High end and a known name. Hint: think of a one word James Bond movie and you're almost there.

Is that the Octopussy 3000??

How about this one? Chances are if you know what this is you'll know a certain piece of trivia about it.

It's a Transcriptors. I don't know the model number off-hand. They were very fussy, but looked really neat. Probably why one got used in "A Clockwork Orange" as the turntable of the dystopian future. The one I had was a Saturn, the smaller one with five weights instead of six. It was fun to watch, but not much as far playing records went.

My personal favorite of the line was the linear tracking model. The cartridge was fixed and the entire turntable - base, platter and motor - moved laterally beneath it.

How about this one? Chances are if you know what this is you'll know a certain piece of trivia about it.

It's a Transcriptors. I don't know the model number off-hand. They were very fussy, but looked really neat. Probably why one got used in "A Clockwork Orange" as the turntable of the dystopian future. The one I had was a Saturn, the smaller one with five weights instead of six. It was fun to watch, but not much as far playing records went.

My personal favorite of the line was the linear tracking model. The cartridge was fixed and the entire turntable - base, platter and motor - moved laterally beneath it.

That was the the Hydraulic Reference. Based on the legs, it would be the one made my JA Michell engineering. They supposedly were licensed by Transcriptors to make that model although there seems to be a rift about whether Michell ever paid anything to Transcriptors. I have two of them. It's amazing to think that turntable was designed in the mid-sixties. Even today, it still has a beautiful, futuristic appearance to it. I spent quite a bit of time, setting one of mine up. Replaced some parts and cleaned some things. It actually sounded much better than I was led to believe it would. It is really really, really quiet. And a beauty to watch.

Stanley Kubrick saw it and asked to buy one for A Clockwork Orange. I am pretty sure the Transcriptors owner just gave him one to use in the movie.

post-15692-1381933486646_thumb.jpg

Now, that one's an Emory Cook tonearm on what appears to be a Garrard. The idea was the right channel was on the inside of the record and the left channel was on the outside. Kind of an evolutionary dead end - like the staggered head open reel approach to stereo, or the left channel AM and the right channel FM broadcasts. Still, those guys were thinking outside the box. You've gotta admire that.

I'm gonna go with Goldmund Reference (b/c it is on the pic).

Gee willekers, I guess I messed up on that one . I''m not giving up though, how about this one?

Hint: think CocaCola

post-14801-13819334904472_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna go with Goldmund Reference (b/c it is on the pic).

Gee willekers, I guess I messed up on that one . I''m not giving up though, how about this one?

Hint: think CocaCola

I don't know the model but the hint tells me it must be a Sota????

Ding, ding ding. It's a tie. Too bad it's a tie because the winner would have walked off with a pair of klipschorns,. Oh well, Gary's already got his for free.

Yup it's a Sota

Let's try this one. Hint: it makes you feel imortant.

post-14801-13819334943952_thumb.gif