Prime time Television

Tarheel

Summmer reruns......200 channels......nothing on......thank you Mark Knopfler for recording cds fit to hear. Since leaving Dire Straits his solos have been noteworthy.....listened to Shangrila tonight....very good sound.....all 24 bit technology. Have bought everyone of his cds and yet to be dissappointed. Isn't it great when things work out like that. Anyone else completely satisfied with an artist and his body of work?

Back in April I had an opportunity to visit Cal Blacksmith somewhat south of LA while I was on a business trip to San Diego. One of the CDs he demo'd for me on his two channel Cornnwall with tubes rig was Mark Knopfler "Sailing to Philadelphia". It's become one of my favorite CDs. Friday I'm driving to Indy for the Pigrimmage and hit the local library for some CDs to clean up and take along. Found one of his named "Ragpickers Dream". I'ver purposely not previewed it on my home system and hoping for another pleasant surprise for the road trip.

Not quite where you were headed but I did want to chime in for the Mark Knopfler part.

I have a tv but no cable tv, etc. I only use the tv for movies.

Some of you might remember the line from The Wall: 14 channels of SHT on. Well now it is 1000 channels.

Once they offer 15-20 channels that you pick what you want then I may do it.

Sort of gave up on TV a few years ago when I watched Fox News for 40 minutes, each segment teased to stay through the next round of commercials. Each time it was promised next: Expert will be here to update us on plane crash.

Finally when the expert got on screen, the anchor babe asked what he can tell us about the crash.

Expert said (and I quote) "well, something went wrong".

I unplugged the satellite and didn't watch TV for the next six months.

Basically you have about 8 minutes of news during the 1 hour local program with about 8 minutes of weather that can be condensed to about 15 seconds----Temp is---, it's going to rain---. The 1/2 hour of national news is really about 12 minutes. The best news I ever saw was a few years ago with some CNN lady reading the news for 30 minutes straight without one mistake, one flub, one inference about "oh my God that's terrible" comment, or one commercial. It was refreshing and I was in awe, almost in a mesmionic fog of dis-belief.

JJK

It goes on and on....worst programming ever.....I have Andy Griffin in the back ground....the one where Opie is trying to sell salve......have seen it 20 times minimum. I do like the Man against Nature series where the special forces guy is dropped off somewhere in the wilds with only a toothpick.......and a film crew!!!

Larry....you are in for a treat.....Ragpicker's Dream is wonderful as is Sailing To Philadelphia (with Van Morrison, and James Taylor) making appearances. Shangrila is very good and I see in my new Stereophile magazine that came today Shangrila is available on 2 lps.

Never seen him live Jacksonbart.....that must be a treat. Such a distinctive voice.

JBSL and JJK....I agree 100% plus its getting expensive. My cable bill with high speed internet access is $100 per month.

Arky and Dee.....guess its sports or grilling on the food channel for tonight. Could always go put on some Mark Knopfler......best idea yet.

Chuck

Tv land & sports is about all I watch. This college World Series has been good, your heels made it. Knopfler is great & I like everything Clapton.

Arky......Heels 7........Rice 2. Listened to Ragpicker's Dream and then came flipped through the wasteland and found the college series and the Heels.

Chuck

I've watched very little regular TV over the past many, many years... well........... that is until I entered the world of HD-DVR-land!!! [H]

Most of what I watch is HD programming. Some of my favorite HD-local network shows in no particular order.............. Ghost Whisperer, Supernatural, Smallville, Lost, Medium, & Hero's. (not to mention sporting events!!) PGA Golf and NASCAR are the two main summer events that I follow. Battle Star Gallactica, American Choppers, Stargate Atlantis, mixed martial arts fighting, & Rides are among my favorites on the HD cable channels. In fact, I'm more of a TV junky than ever before......[8-|]

There is definitely something that can be said for watching tv at your on convenience.....and skipping the commercials!! About the only low-def programming I watch is some cable news, Pride and UFC fighting, and the Golf Channel. It's to the point now that I never EVER watch live TV. If it's something I really want to watch right away....IE... like Buckeye football.... I'll wait for awhile and watch it on a delay so I can skip commercials.

1....My uncle has cable

2....Every time I go to his house I hear Click, Click Click, Click Ckick Click Click Click.

3....Only 700 more to go then start over.

4....Gees, my thumb hurts.

JJK

LOL....You should be a good nephew and help your uncle customize his guide to eliminate all the unnecessary channels he'll never watch[;)]

Once you delete all the crap channels he'll never use, he'll find channel surfing much easier.

Just standard over the counter cds but they must have used 24 bit recording technology (whatever that is, but it sounds good). All the old jazz I buy has been remastered or on lps. I use a guideline that if its 2002 or newer it usually has good sound (may or may not be a good policy). The old cds from the 80s were horrible for the most part, metalic sounding, no warmth. I have been reluctant to buy a couple of Knopflers from the 90s for that reason. I recently sent 3 of 5 Booker T cds back to Amazon because the sound was poor. Have culled about 200 old cds out of my stash that just don't sound good.

Playing them through a tubed Jolida cdp.

The first wave of CD's were awful...terrible sound, noisey, I waited to the 90's before I started CD's and sold my albums. Some of the CD's you get today are real nice sounding, and you get extra material...atleast you have the choice of listening or not, the first cd's were just album length and no more, you mention Booker T, all those Otis Redding, Arethea Franklin all sound awful, it's a disgrace...........REMASTER the SOUL MUSIC.........

You're right Buck.....every now and then I think it would be great if some of the old artist started having their work remastered. I would love to have a lot of that old music with great sound. I would love to have CSN&Y, Pure Prairie League, Bad Company, Otis, Carole King, Joe Cocker, the soundtrack from Woodstock and Monterey Pop Festival and numerous others remastered. Just about all of Miles Davis' work has been remastered.

What is keeping this from happening if the master tapes still exist? Shed some light Buck.

Woodstock and Monterey have been done, but I believe they are 3 or 4 disc's sets, which become expensive..........Most box sets by artist's are ReMastered, but the problem there, they give you alot of FILLER songs, which I don't care for........Joe Cocker has been done......When the Record Companies get greedy enough, they will re-do everything that sells....I think they are missing the mark by not doing the SOUL Music era, those bad boys would sell...............

The box sets prices are getting out of hand but the recording companies know we will pay it. They can put out less material with less work for more bucks.

I just paid over $300 bucks for a Beatles greatest hits 4 cd set in HDCD. Used. It's supposed to be in perfect condition but still a remaster that will most likely never find the sound of the original 45s & LPs I started buying back in '64.

Thankfully most of my old vinyl is still in great shape and I'm going to start putting my vinyl on CD. The burners have evolved into nice high end gear now and the prices to put my vinyl on a good sounding format disc are getting close. I want to find the high end burner for my PC and go to HDCD on my vinyl. It's the best format I've heard so far.

The **** are burning some good vinyl now. Still a long way to go but the old stuff is coming around. There's a lot of rich folk who own the rights to the music and being able to purchase the rights to mass reproduce has to be very expensive.

I think the answer lies in front of us to burn our own discs off vinyl and eliminate the music execs. The technology is here now. I'll just have to throw a new card in the pc and learn the software.

Harry