Guys - please help me decide if $350 for Chorus I worth it?

dkalsi

Hi guys,

Wanted to find out if you guys agree if $350 for a pair of absolutely mint Chorus I worth it (Black/Orignal Owner/No damage at all - circa 89)?

I was looking to buy one more pair of speakers. I already have two pairs Cornwalls / and one pair of Khorns. Hence, this isn't going to be my main listening room.

But, I wanted to know if $350 was good. I saw a pair of Hersey go on e-bay last night for 370 after shipping. Is that a better buy? I've seen Forte go for about 400 sometimes a little more.

Dont know if its worth paying a little bit more for Fortes and getting Herseys for about the same price????

Lastly, these a Chorus I. I've read the forums here about people favoring the II and so wanted to make this clear that these are Chorus I.

All input is much appreciated.

350, local pick up, great condition...no brainer get em - you can't go wrong.

That said I still have my Forte IIs and sold the pair of Chorus I had. The Fortes just do EVERYTHING right. I would surely take the C1s over the Heresies. Fortes are much easier to move around. The Chorus is just enough bigger to make it a real job.

The main reason I think you should buy them is so I don't. You posted the Craigs List link yesterday and I put together an email to send the guy and deleted it at the last minute. I just don't need any more speakers, but those being close to me and at such a good price I almost had to buy them.

FYI, My C1s that I had I paid 750 for them a while back and sold them for 700. They were in darn good but not perfect condition with WO finish. The only down side I see to these are that they are black. If black goes good with your room you are set.

$350 is a steal on them. The Chorus is an excellent speaker. Chorus 1 or 2 either one.

Figure in shipping but if at all possible pick them up. The majority of people haven't a clue how to pack up a 90+ pound speaker. Then figure the package handlers will search to find a way to destroy them anyway.

I don't mind having a case of golf balls shipped but I'm against having my electronics shipped unless it's something light and not too fragile or expensive. I ship many items and package pretty good but I've had forklift forks pierce boxes and completely through cabinets. By the way it was UPS. They refused payment. Said it wasn't packaged well enough. the one cabinet had a very clean 1"x 8" hole from the fork through both sides of the cabinet. What am I supposed to use in packaging? 1/4" armor plate? The woman that owns the UPS store where it was shipped from wrote me a check for both speakers and shipping and let me keep the speakers. I gave them to my buyer. It pays to do business with reputable people. My hat is off to the lady who owned the UPS Store franchise where I shipped them from. She sold the franchise a month or so after this and I haven't shipped UPS since. I doubt I ever will.

Harry

rpalce and to everyone,

Thanks for responding. I will pick up the pair today. The only reason why I was having trouble deciding is because reading old post too many people favor or the Chorus II over I and say how Fortea are SO MUCH BETTER.... but I guess people agree that $350 for Chorus I performace is worth it.

rplace - should I ever decide to sell the Chorus after purchase, and should you still be interested in purchasing, you will be the first person I contact - and you too will be welcome to them for $350 as oppose to the ebay $700.

Thats why I love the Klipsch forums, people here are so helpful and honest - its leaves you feeling way too guilty if you make money off from a fellow forum member (please - im not implying anything about the Hersey III forums). I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind making money on e-bay, but I will never seek profit from a forum member - people here are too nice.

I tried to buy a pair of original Chorus from a forum member a while back for $550.00 but shipping was insane (big and heavy speaker and long distance) and I thought THAT was a give-away price...you are stealing these...enjoy...you have the front firing ports instead of the rear firing passive radiator...Cornwall like I believe...sweeeeeet!...Please let us know your take after you listen to them...

Bill

Will definately leave feedback on the Chorus.

The thing is that I could never really consider Chorus II or Fortes because of the rear passive radiators - Many have mentioned that they need a corner to shine - I dont have that option.

And I can not agree withe colterphoto 1 - "ALWAYS pick up"

Glad to see you are making it happen. I would be interested to hear your take on C vs C (Chorus vs. Cornwall) I seem to be in the minority here as I like a forte or chorus regardless of 1 or 2 variant more then a Cornwall. Flame suit on and ducking!

Give me a yell if you decide to get rid of them. Black Chorus might be a nice upgrade over the WO H2s in the garage.

Good Luck!

I'm one of the few that preferred my Chorus I's over the II's (I have since sold both but sold the II's first), as I felt they sounded a little more natural and were better balanced than the II's. This is strictly my opinion, and I am in the minority here.

I am now running CWII's in the rear of my HT with modified La Scala's up front. For all the people that prefer the CW over the La Scala, I invite them to my house to hear my pair. They do not produce the bass punch that the CW's do, but they more than make up for it in the mids/highs dept.

Mike

I would be interested to hear your take on C vs C (Chorus vs. Cornwall) I seem to be in the minority here as I like a forte or chorus regardless of 1 or 2 variant more then a Cornwall. Flame suit on and ducking!

Got anymore flame suits[;)]

Great find!!!

Every now and then you find good deals. Shipping scares many sellers and the larger speakers can be picked up for a song sometimes.

I prefer the Chorus 1 personally with the front ports instead of the passive in the rear on the II. When I built my speakers I didn't have room for the CWs (my favorite speaker ever built) and knew I could fit in the Chorus footprint. I made a pair of Cornwalls shaped like the Chorus 1. Worked out great.

I think you'll love the Chorus as they are.

Harry

Hi guys,

Wanted to find out if you guys agree if $350 for a pair of absolutely mint Chorus I worth it (Black/Orignal Owner/No damage at all - circa 89)?

I was looking to buy one more pair of speakers. I already have two pairs Cornwalls / and one pair of Khorns. Hence, this isn't going to be my main listening room.

But, I wanted to know if $350 was good. I saw a pair of Hersey go on e-bay last night for 370 after shipping. Is that a better buy? I've seen Forte go for about 400 sometimes a little more.

Dont know if its worth paying a little bit more for Fortes and getting Herseys for about the same price????

Lastly, these a Chorus I. I've read the forums here about people favoring the II and so wanted to make this clear that these are Chorus I.

All input is much appreciated.

Man, I'm sorry I'm late to this party. I've been looking for another pair of Chorus I's. I've got plans to make a killer center speaker out of one. I've got a pair of Forte I's for possible trade, Or maybe you'd like to split the Chorus's up and either sell me one, or I could convert both to center channel speakers and get one back to you. I prefer oiled oak, but as stated earlier, black is just painted oak verneer.

If your interested in the center channel conversion, PM me for the details.

Or if there's anyone out there that has a pair of Chorus I's that either one is damaged/destroyed and has the other, or if one is not currently working let me know.

P.S. Sorry for the Shamless Hijack here.

I was able to pick up a pair of Chorus I's (WO) for $50 local pickup off my work classifieds. Other then one of the binding posts being broken off 1/2 way they are mint. I'm still waiting on the Klipsch parts department to get back to me...I was told they might have an OEM replacement. I have an upward battle against me though...I brought these home and my wife think's their too big. She wants to sell them and get a smaller pair :( I told her I wont sell them until I get the replacement part so hopefully I don't hear back from Klipsch...they still work great using banana plugs.