Heresy III: will solid state suffice?

I am going to open my pocket and support the awesome folks at Klipsch by buying new H3s. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I am not an audiophile. Not really. I just like to listen to good music through good equipment, namely Klipsh speakers. I had a little Yamaha system in college: 2 channel receiver and CD player with my current KG 2.2's, and it sounded great. I got complements from other people with bigger and pricier set-ups, and of course, my system played friggin' loud, louder than the next guy. My resident advisor saw that I had Klipsch speakers, and the first thing he noted was how loud Klipsch speakers played without distortion. And he was right down stairs from me, and I would drown out his hip hop with Pantera on a regular basis.

I am thinking getting some good NAD gear with the H3s. There must be a reason why NAD sells a lot of amps: they sound pretty good. I think this will be a good combination.

Peace, y'all.

Mike In NEPA

Listen to Opeth!!

If you are a "fire and forget" kind of guy then good solid state equipment should work just fine. If you are into tweaking, trying different tubes, AKA rolling, and trying to find the right NOS 12AX7's or 12AU7's that match your EL84's or 6550's or KT88's or........ then tubes may be for you. I personally love tubes for my guitar amps but like the low end punch of a good quality SS amp for listening. I just purchased a Parasound HCA-1500A 205 watt per channel SS amp that grabs the 12 inchers in my Forte's and rattles the walls, AWESOME!

BTW, NOS Tungsol 6550's and Mullard 12AX7's in my SUNN Model T Head feeding two JBL D130's in a Bassman cab, HEAVEN!

Solid State is fine, wonderful, easy to use, plug and play, and should serve you well, years of good service, mega watts, and all that good stuff. That being said, Don't, I repeat,Don't listen to tubes..........why, you ask?......because if you do, you be hooked.My Scott does with 20 watts per what it would take SS ten fold to match, but until you get the chance to atleast hear tubes with Heresy's, to answer your question: Heresy III ; will solid state suffice?...............YUP !!!!!!!!!!!!

ibanez...what do you call eastern PA.? If you don't mind a ride, you could come check my Scott/H2 system out, maybe even bring your H3's and hook them up, and pump out the jams..............be advised, the Scott's not for sale..........

That's a possibilty...........My little system would probably make you laugh, until I turn it on.......My point to ibanez, or anyone else, if your in the area and want to hear Heresy's on tubes, we can do that.....anytime.....HVNoah, don't need to have a Klipsch fest if you ever want to come up, or if your in the area going to SPAC, or the Track, or the Lake George Area......or if you need a place to rest your head for a day or two.....My home is always open to Klipsch Folks.............

Yes, for "friggin loud", "drowning out hip hop", and "rattling the walls" any cheap solid state will absolutley suffice.

That statement holds no truth IMHO. Just because a person chooses SS doesn't mean they aren't looking for quality sound. And noway are you getting that done with just "any cheap solid state".

Actually I have some cheap sony and jvc 120wpc mass market receivers here that can't even get a 15 inch woofer to move. So rattling walls ummm no.

Of course the Heresy IIIs will sound great with solid state.

I am using a Marantz integrated amplifier for my Cornwalls and La Scalas, and they sound fantastic.

Would they sound better with tube amplification...yes, but not everyone is ready to take the big step.

Yes, for "friggin loud", "drowning out hip hop", and "rattling the walls" any cheap solid state will absolutley suffice.

That statement holds no truth IMHO. Just because a person chooses SS doesn't mean they aren't looking for quality sound. And noway are you getting that done with just "any cheap solid state".

Actually I have some cheap sony and jvc 120wpc mass market receivers here that can't even get a 15 inch woofer to move. So rattling walls ummm no.

Your first sentence is unsupported by your second and third, your second is a logical fallacy, and your third is an erroneous inference from the fallacious second. And you seem to have missed my point; I have tried to be more polite if not subtle lately but it seems to prevent my points from coming across.

My point here was that like many threads where someone asks a question like this one ("Is solid state good enough?"), the usual chorus of responses say things like, "That depends... what are your tastes in music, how loud do you listen, etc?". The purpose of these kind of questions is to find out what kind of quality sound the person is looking for... In this case the questioner has already answered this in advance and indicated he enjoys his speakers "friggin' loud, louder than the next guy" and that they were used to "drown out his hip hop with Pantera on a regular basis".

This is useful information about the questioner and helps identify the level of quality sound he seeks. At the high levels of noise indicated the actual performance and

quality of the amp are unimportant; it will be clipping and the he won't even

know it and/or he apparently enjoys that sound. Tubes should not be used to make this kind of noise. Cheap solid state is advised.

The following opinion is protected by smilies and may not be assailed.

[:)][:)][:)]As long as the listener is happy with the sound that is all that is important and the listener's enjoyment of the sound no matter how it measures or sounds to others completely validates any and all combinations of any and all equipment playing any and all music at any and all volumes the listener wishes to enjoy.[:)][:)][:)]

I still love and listen to metal, lots of progressive stuff, lots of stuff with good production value, weirder stuff like Porcupine Tree.

But I also love the Grateful Dead, Miles Davis, reggae and world music.

Just because you like loud, aggressive metal doesn't mean you're limited to cheapo Best Buy solid state, ya know what I'm sayin'?

suf·fice

verb (used without object)

to be enough or adequate, as for needs, purposes, etc. verb (used with object)

to be enough or adequate for; satisfy.

Yes, I would not spend anymore than half of the purchase price of the Heresys on an AMP/intergrated amp.

Too funny.

Just because you like loud, aggressive metal doesn't mean you're limited to cheapo Best Buy solid state, ya know what I'm sayin'?

Yeah, I do. So how much money are you ready to spend? Opposed to buying used?

Too funny.

Yeah, I do. So how much money are you ready to spend? Opposed to buying used?

Under a grand. I like NAD because you're getting a lot of amp for the money. I also like having tone controls - guess I'm not a purist.

The most tube-like SS amp I have heard (and love mine) is the Marantz Reference Series SM17SA stereo amplifier. I believe I saw one on Audiogon that would be terrific. This amp new a few years ago was about $1500 and at one time at the top of the Marantz line. I plan to get a couple of new Heresy III (black) in a couple weeks and will be using mine with this amp. It it a well-refined amp that keeps you listening to the music, not turning it off. For an Klipsch speaker that many might think sounds too forward (tonally bright) sounding, a SS amp that is a little laid back but not lacking detail would be the best ticket. No fussy tubes, just quiet solid state.