OK, How Many of You Have Your iPhones?

BEC

Bob - Thanks. I don't have an iPod either (yet). I can't even imagine how the world will go crazy over the new iPod. Anyone owning stock today must be really happy! (Yes, I stole my husband's money from the bank account..... ssshhhhh!)

I so want a Macbook. I'm waiting a bit. OMG - and Leopard? Hard to wait till October for that baby. Oh yea, and I think Steve is kinda hot too.

I just got a new phone too. Motorola M800. No internet, no Bluetooth, no music, no camera. But it's cool. I walked into a meeting a few days ago with it and everyone made fun of it until we used it as a speaker phone. Works well in areas with sparse cell coverage, everyone else wants to borrow it when they can't get bars. With sketchy remote service (frequently analog) and no ATT cell service here, there's no iPhone in my immediate future.

post-17394-13819338868484_thumb.jpg

If I were a guy, and I had an iPhone..... I'd be pitching a tent right now.

Boohooo! I do want a 3g version for my husband though. I fear Edge might drive me nuts for when I steal it from him.

Mark
- What carrier/service do you have? The hackers say they are scant
days from unlocking it. But I guess it'll only work with GSM types
which would T-Mobile only (I think).

My husband would probably have one by now if we didn't have such a bad Edge experience in the store. Though there is a few videos on www.iphonePOV.com that show the iPhone's Edge vs. a Treo on Sprint's 3g EVDO and the iPhone was either comparable or beat it. This is really throwing me. Clearly in the video, the iPhone was running on Edge. I can't tell ya'll how hard I've been working on hubby to get one in the house. I thought there might be an update from Apple today but no dice. Oh, I read that Walt Mossberg has it on good authority that Flash will be added pretty soon. The phone seems to have the guts inside to pull it off. I have yet to find specifics on if the phone's guts can do 3g via update.

Bob - are you experiencing any issues with Edge? I heard they were having some outtages. I wonder if AT&T adequately prepared for the onslaught?

Mark - OOOoo! You can get the iPhone now and not activate it. You can just use it for all the other features (Wifi, iPod, etc. etc.). They figured out how to do that to allow synching, etc. w/out the phone piece. Course maybe a 2nd gen will be available in fall.

Meagain,

I think EDGE had a brief outage last Monday.  Read something about that.  But, most of the time my iPhone is on my wireless network.  I guess you know that the iPhone "prefers" Wi-Fi.  If it finds a Wi-Fi network, that is what it uses.  It falls back to EDGE when it can't find Wi-Fi.

Bob 

I've certainly been intrigued by the iPhone, but there is no way that I am going to get one anytime soon, if ever. The main reason is that I just don't care for AT&T wireless service, plus I am a little bit put off by the price. I am currently using Verizon and have been happy with it, plus I think I am still a year into a 2-year contract. Looks like I'll be cruising along with my trusty ol' Motorola RAZR for a little bit longer.

However, if Apple comes out with a 100 gigabyte iPod that has that same cool touch-screen interface and form-factor like the iPhone, I'll be all over it! Toshiba has announced a 100 gigabyte 1.8-inch drive (Toshiba supplies the drives for the iPod), so it is very possible. I would not put it past Apple to eventually produce such an item, it is just a matter of when - will be interesting to see what transpires within the next 12 months or so. My 30-gig iPod is just not cutting it anymore. The thing is completely full, so I am always having to go through and move stuff around whenever I get any new music I want to put on it (I have an eMusic account, so getting new music happens pretty often, plus I've bought plenty of CD's, nearly all of it from independent, underground power/progressive metal bands/labels - there is so much new music that I've been finding that I just don't have the time nor the money to come even close to getting everything that I'd like to have, plus I am constantly discovering new bands, plus my favorites keep putting out new albums - the new Kamelot, Symphony X, and Sonata Arctica albums were just friggan incredible, for example!). I've been tempted to just go and get an 80-gig iPod, but now that the iPhone is out, I am waiting to see if Apple does indeed put out my dream of a 100-gig iPod with the same "look-n-feel" as the iPhone, but with out the phone part and the service fees (I think 'colterphoto' has it right, seems like everywhere I turn, somebody else wants to charge yet another "monthly service fee" to simply use a piece of electronic gear.)

Ten highest-radiation cell phones (United States)

Manufacturer and model

SAR level

(digital)

1. Motorola V195s

2. Motorola Slvr L6

3. Motorola Slvr L2

4. Motorola C290

5a. Samsung SGH-C417

5b. Motorola V365

5c. RIM BlackBerry Curve (aka BlackBerry 8300)

8a. Palm Treo 700p (Sprint)

8b. Palm Treo 700p (Verizon)

8c. Motorola Slvr L7e

hmmm I have the number 2 worst... I can see why though since its thinner than most people's wallets.... But heh I use the bluetooth option a lot more and keep it in my pocket, next to my ummm......

If I were a guy, and I had an iPhone..... I'd be pitching a tent right now.

Boohooo! I do want a 3g version for my husband though. I fear Edge might drive me nuts for when I steal it from him.

Mark

- What carrier/service do you have? The hackers say they are scant

days from unlocking it. But I guess it'll only work with GSM types

which would T-Mobile only (I think).

and cingular/att

Hey Bob - How does music sound through the speaker (not headphones)?   If one wanted to let someone hear a piece of song, is it tolerable at least? 

You can tell what the song is but I would not call the sound good at all through the tiny speaker.  

Bob

We went back to test the iPhone on EDGE again. This time at an AT&T store. MUCH better experience. Edge was 'working' this time whereas before in the Apple store the day after launch - it was so bad that it didn't even really work at all. Something was wrong there. This time we were loading sites like crazy on Edge. Tested all kinds of crazy sites including SouthWest Air to mock a plane schedule, checking flights, book a flight, etc. Pretty intensive site. Worked fantastic. Husband logged into his company's admin website and did some stuff. And tested via google satellite to find concert venues in Chicago - then the parking garages and all the red pins came flying from the sky to show where to park. Edge is fine! Well, except the Youtube vid I saw was pretty pixelated but I could see it fine and it still has value. On WiFi of course, it's stunningly gorgeous.

Bob - Are you able to get to this forum on it? It would've helped if I had it bookmarked and all but..... I went to 'support' and when I clicked on 'forums', nothing happened. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get in and was wondering if it worked for you. Maybe I did something wrong. It's possible I had it too zoomed and scrolled to see the address bar loading but I think it would've shown the address bar or so in zoom? I can't remember, but when I clicked 'forums' it just sort of blinked.

This thing is going to take over the world.

Lisa,

I can read the forum and I can log in.  I can't seem to bring up the iPhone keypad to actually write a post.  May be just something I am not doing right.  

Yesterday, I found out that eBay works fine with the iPhone.  I was traveling all day and was able to relist several auctions while traveling.  

Bob

Bob - That's unreal. Excellent! I'm anxious to see what the first update will entail. I thought they'd have done one by now but knowing Apple, wouldn't surprise me if they're waiting a bit to unleash it. It might be quite interesting and likely kickstart yet more buzz about it. Yes, at this point, I think even a mere update will make the tech reporters/blogs/forums go nuts and freekishly, maybe even the darned stock! It's actually fascinating to watch.