Any Good Music DVDs out there...............................

Yes - Live From House of Blues

Yes - Symphonic Live

Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Beacon Theatre

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

I don't have many but these are all recommended. Anything YES does is top-notch IMO. Ditto ABB. I have of late become Jazz fan, so Diana Krall is on my list. So is Allison Kraus

Rick

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut-Throat,

Do yourself a favor and order the Allison Krauss + Union Station Live DVD. It's my 2nd favorite right behind HFO, and is an outstanding DTS recording. The music is top-notch, and the musicianship even better. Everytime I play this for someone not into country or bluegrass, they are always just blown away by it. It's that good! Just do it and thank me later!

I will also recommend Yes - Live at the House of Blues, Roger Waters - In the Flesh (much better than Pulse imho), James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theater, Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live, Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, Peter Frampton - Live in Detroit and Dave Mason - Live at Sunrise. These are all excellent recordings imo and sound great on my rig!

Mike

I just ordered a bunch of them. Allison Krauss, Talking Heads, Frampton among them. Thanks

Good stuff! Let me know what you think of them.

When you play the Talking Heads make sure to monitor the Movie Soundtrack as opposed to the DTS or DD 5.1 (can't remember which one they have). It's a much better recording.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a bunch of them. Allison Krauss, Talking Heads, Frampton among them. Thanks

Good stuff! Let me know what you think of them.

When you play the Talking Heads make sure to monitor the Movie Soundtrack as opposed to the DTS or DD 5.1 (can't remember which one they have). It's a much better recording.

Mike

Mike,

Can you believe it took Amazon until today to get these Music DVDs? - It said 'in Stock' when I ordered them. What the heck does that mean?

Anyway you were sure right on the Allison Kraus DVD - After the first song I knew it was winner. Great Audio Track! - Good music - even though I never listen to this genre much! But they are really talented! I have not even opened the others. I am only in to the Kraus VIdeo about 4 songs and had to post this!

Thanks for the Rec!~ - Keep them coming if you know any others!

Listen to the whole thing man, you'll love it. I am always blown away by that dvd. It's pretty much a 2-ch (no center) recording with the lfe going to the sub. The surrounds are pretty much audience participation.

Mike

Mike - I only do 2 channel.

- I am listening to another winner right now. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Have you heard it?

Listen to the whole thing man, you'll love it. I am always blown away by that dvd. It's pretty much a 2-ch (no center) recording with the lfe going to the sub. The surrounds are pretty much audience participation.

Mike

- I am listening to another winner right now. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Have you heard it?

I have not heard the SRV... I take it it's a keeper?

Mike

Mike

Mike

Definitely! - Great audio! - Buy it!

Mike

Mike

The intro to the Live Alive! CD is priceless... I think the announcer/MC was stoned off the bejeezus bus.

Agreed on the SRV Live DVD (Austin City Limits sessions)

Great 2 channel tracks and some of the best Stevie ever captured

Another "must have" IMO is Roger Hodgeson (Supertramp) "Live in Montreal" - Very Honest and Amazing!

EDIT> Oh, and Neil Young "Heart of Gold" is just as Amazing!!! I believe it represented the initiation of the 2005 Prairie Wind tour and filmed in Nashville's fabled Ryman Auditorium (aka THE Grand Ole Opry). It's about 50:50 new and old material. This effort is truly an awe-inspiring performance masterfully captured with beautiful perspectives and ZERO "quick cuts" or "running" camera shots like so many music videos. But be forewarned it's "digital" 2-channel though (with DD and DTS multi-channel tracks as well of course <spits> ) still excellent though!

Also, unless you're a Beatles "purist" and totally offended by the George Martin remixes. The "Love" album multi-channel tracks are really very very good on DVD-A. Like many here I'm sure, I normally can't stand multi-track digital mixes, but these really seem to suit the material...

WopOnTour

Well, I enjoyed all the DVDs I bought from the recommendations here, except one. Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" - Just not my type of music at all. The audio was clear, but the Video was the grainiest picture I've ever seen on DVD. Which is a moot point anyway. different strokes................

Cut-Throat,

Do yourself a favor and order the Allison Krauss + Union Station Live DVD. It's my 2nd favorite right behind HFO, and is an outstanding DTS recording. The music is top-notch, and the musicianship even better. Everytime I play this for someone not into country or bluegrass, they are always just blown away by it. It's that good! Just do it and thank me later!

Special thanks to Mike Lindsey for recommending this DVD. It is truly outstanding! - Anyone that does not love this DVD would have to be from another planet. I don't even like this genre as a rule, but the musicans are so talented that you cannot help but love it.

Cut-Throat,

Special thanks to Mike Lindsey for recommending this DVD. It is truly outstanding! - Anyone that does not love this DVD would have to be from another planet. I don't even like this genre as a rule, but the musicans are so talented that you cannot help but love it.

Yep... gotta agree with you on this one. Glad you are enjoying it as much as I am.

Mike

• Moderators

Well, I enjoyed all the DVDs I bought from the recommendations here, except one. Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" - Just not my type of music at all. The audio was clear, but the Video was the grainiest picture I've ever seen on DVD. Which is a moot point anyway. different strokes................

Cut-Throat

Couldn't agree more with those statements. I really didn't enjoy that DVD at all. We gave that DVD away and only watched about three songs on it. Another good one is Los Lonely Boys, recorded at Austin City Limits! Excellent video, excellent audio and some really good guitar playing. Eric Clapton, One More Car, One More Ride is another good one. Do you like James Taylor? He has a good one out also....I can get the name of it if you like his music.