No insulation in Heresy I ?

joerg

You are correct. There is no insulation in the Heresy I.

In the Heresy II there is a sheet of flexible foam rubber, about 3/4 inch thick the depth of the cabinet. It sort of lays on top of the woofer basket with the ends extending down to the bottom (floor) of the cab.

I don't know what is in the HIII. But I would be most interested to know.

joerg

You are correct. There is no insulation in the Heresy I.

In the Heresy II there is a sheet of flexible foam rubber, about 3/4 inch thick the depth of the cabinet. It sort of lays on top of the woofer basket with the ends extending down to the bottom (floor) of the cab.

I don't know what is in the HIII. But I would be most interested to know.

Daddy,

In the II's I bought from Klipsch in 2004, I recall the foam to be laid in the cabinet floor, with the ends extending up? So the foam sheet was in the shape of a "U". I posted some pics a long time ago, they might still be in this forum somewhere. I could be wrong!

Correct; by default there was no insulation, foam, or acoustic treatment in the Heresy-I's, It first appeared in the Heresy-II's with a 1/2" thick x 12" wide piece of foam rubber that was in an inverted "U" shape over the woofer. There are some who have put acoustic foam or baffling in the Heresy-I's cabinets, but it's not clear if there really is a detectable improvement. The greatest "improvement" for the Heresy-I is to make sure the cabinet is properly sealed. To do that is simple, remove the back and put a strip of foam speaker gasket strip around the braces to allow the rear panel to seal correctly. The difference is noticeable; improved bass response.

Correct; by default there was no insulation, foam, or acoustic treatment in the Heresy-I's, It first appeared in the Heresy-II's with a 1/2" thick x 12" wide piece of foam rubber that was in an inverted "U" shape over the woofer. There are some who have put acoustic foam or baffling in the Heresy-I's cabinets, but it's not clear if there really is a detectable improvement. The greatest "improvement" for the Heresy-I is to make sure the cabinet is properly sealed. To do that is simple, remove the back and put a strip of foam speaker gasket strip around the braces to allow the rear panel to seal correctly. The difference is noticeable; improved bass response.

I asked PWK back in 1985 why the Heresy had no insulation. His anwswer was "I wanted a pure capacitance in the box." He then started doing some high level math and lost me. Jim Hunter designed the new woofer and tweeter in the Heresy II, and possibly the rubber thing, as I recall, but I could be wrong.

Claude

lol, that's hilarious Claude!

The particular alignment of the Heresy cabinet maximizes its bass performance. Adding insulation changes this alignment and ultimately results in less bass. I don't think there is enough insulation in the Heresy II to affect bass performance (though it is also a different woofer) - instead I'm led to believe that it's main purpose was to reduce standing waves that cause high frequency ringing inside the cabinet. I would expect that the Heresy III has some amount of insulation to do the same.

lol, that's hilarious Claude!

The particular alignment of the Heresy cabinet maximizes its bass performance. Adding insulation changes this alignment and ultimately results in less bass. I don't think there is enough insulation in the Heresy II to affect bass performance (though it is also a different woofer) - instead I'm led to believe that it's main purpose was to reduce standing waves that cause high frequency ringing inside the cabinet. I would expect that the Heresy III has some amount of insulation to do the same.

exactly Doc. Later models and KP models all have 1-2 pieces of that 1" medium density open cell foam looped around the woofer or on end/side. I've been doing the same to any cabinet I open. Good to reduce standing waves at least. Stuffing the box with insulation or poly-fill does change the tuning.

Colter's right; I experimented around with the foam piece on some H-I's, but somehow did not seem to work. Like I said, PWK intended the H-I to be an acoustic suspension speaker. that implies that the enclosure needs to be "sealed". The H-II drivers and crossover are different, thus the foam piece works (or seems to 'cause my ears are probably shot and I can't listen to music with enough volume to tell anymore...)

The Heresy Industrial Ported (a variation of the Heresy I, with a Helmholtz Resonator slot like a Cornwall) has fiberglass insulation in it.

Different alignment [;)]

In the ported situation, the cabinet is undersized and adding insulation helps the cabinet appear larger. The biggest advantage to a larger cabinet is that it makes the port more effective. It's interesting to note that the ported Heresy actually doesn't dig deeper than the normal sealed enclosure. Instead, bandwidth is being sacrificed to achieve increased sensitivity - allowing the speaker to play louder. The reduced cone-excursion over the passband also reduces distortion (as long as you don't have heavy material below the speaker's tuning point).

The Heresy Industrial
Ported (a variation of the Heresy I, with a Helmholtz Resonator slot
like a Cornwall) has fiberglass insulation in it.

Different alignment [;)]

In
the ported situation, the cabinet is undersized and adding insulation
helps the cabinet appear larger. The biggest advantage to a larger
cabinet is that it makes the port more effective. It's interesting to
note that the ported Heresy actually doesn't dig deeper than the normal
sealed enclosure. Instead, bandwidth is being sacrificed to achieve
increased sensitivity - allowing the speaker to play louder. The
reduced cone-excursion over the passband also reduces distortion (as
long as you don't have heavy material below the speaker's tuning point).

Mike, have ever seen these? As opposed to the K-350 (?).

industrialheresy9tn.jpg

Those would be the HIP, as opposed to the K-250 or the K201.

Somewhere around here I've got side by side ground plane measurements that were taken at Colter's place. Yes, he owns at least one pair of each style of Heresy! [:o]

The Heresy Industrial Ported (a variation of the Heresy I, with a Helmholtz Resonator slot like a Cornwall) has fiberglass insulation in it.

Different alignment [;)]

In the ported situation, the cabinet is undersized and adding insulation helps the cabinet appear larger. The biggest advantage to a larger cabinet is that it makes the port more effective. It's interesting to note that the ported Heresy actually doesn't dig deeper than the normal sealed enclosure. Instead, bandwidth is being sacrificed to achieve increased sensitivity - allowing the speaker to play louder. The reduced cone-excursion over the passband also reduces distortion (as long as you don't have heavy material below the speaker's tuning point).

Mike, have ever seen these? As opposed to the K-350 (?).

industrialheresy9tn.jpg

That be a HIP with different cabinet finish. Looks like it was painted black first, then given white (poster girl) finish later in life?

This is what I was attempting when I butchered up a pair of H700's that I got from Doc. I ripped off the grille lip, routed the edges, then proceeded to wrap with fibreglass and just made a mess. I might finish them one day.