Hi everyone, just a short note to catch up were I am!

Good morning all!

I went to the urologist yesterday expecting him to confirm that the mass that they found a few weeks back were nothing to worry about but he told me that I had a 4 tumor growing on the left kidney and that they needed to open me up and take it out. He said that I have had it for a while as to its size because this type of tumor is a slow growing one. We setup an appointment for August 20 to take the kidney, tumor and surrounding tissue out. He said that it looked very good that it had not left the area of the kidney and that he was sure it was still contained and had not gotten out to anywhere else in the body, so it looks like the surgery will have a very high chance of curing.

Just think, if I had not had the Weight Loss Surgery, I would not have developed the gall stones which caused me to go have them checked out, where they found the mass on the kidney that prompted a CT scan that indicated with a 98%+ certainty of the tumor, which is still contained and has not caused me any problems that would have had me checked out. So it is looking like the WLS is having an even bigger positive effect on my life than I had thought it would!

In other news, I have lost 150# in just 34 weeks as of yesterday! Only about 45 more to go until I hit the normal weight for my height! I am still loosing at a rate of about 3# per week on about 1200 to 1500 calories a day.

It has been a few weeks since I have been to the gym as I pulled something in my left arm and it still hurts a bit. I am starting to feel guilty about not going and will probably go just to get on a cross trainer or something to get some movement going.

Another reason I have not been going is that I am getting tired very quickly, I changed my iron supplements and I dont think the new ones are doing the job so I switched back to the ones I was using. I sure hope that helps my endurance.

I have been reading most of the posts but have not had much time to write my own. I see there are some new people here that I have not had the pleasure to talk to. I am sure that will change.

I guess I am going to get some good listening time in somewhere near the end of August!

Good luck on your surgery.

It is amazing to see how God can work things together like that. A lot of early tumors, at a curable stage, are found in my patients when they are having seemingly unrelated imaging done. I am glad that they found yours in a timely fashion.

I sure you and your doctors have thought about this, but be sure that they use DVT precautions on you, since you have had clotting problems in the past.

Best of luck,

Paul

I'm sorry to hear of the mass but I'm glad it was found.

Typically, all renal masses are found incidentally greater than %90 of the time due to the large utilization of CT Scans. I just remove half a kidney with a mass by way of laparoscopy this week. She went home in 3 days.

Good luck with your surgery.

jc

Hi Paul and thanks!

Yes we talked about the pneumatic socks to keep the blood
flowing. He knows of the past blood clots and the meds I was on for them. He
said that the lymph nodes that are around the kidney look perfectly normal and
the CT scan was from the chest to the hips, so they got a good look at things. Unrelated to this CT scan, my GP just had me
take an extensive blood test and found a PSA of 1. Other indicators are a Cholesterol
level of 174, down from a mid 250, blood pressure that averages about 110 over 70
down from 160 over 90 (it has been as low as 90 over 55) and all the other
things tested in the test at normal or better ranges!

God is indeed GOOD! While I am dismayed at the thought of
the tumor, I do feel blessed that it was found early enough to treat with a
high probability of cure! If it had not been found until there were problems,
you know it would have been a much bleaker outlook indeed.

EDIT;

JC, I didn't know you were a DOC also! Thanks for the good wishes! My doc said that at 4 inches he was more comfortable doing an open surgery and taking everything, rather than taking chances on letting a little bit of it stay behind (my words, not his). I would have preferred it done with a LAP but.... chicks dig scars [:P]

I know that lap is becoming routine for tumors under 2 to 3 inches and can be done on larger ones. I am just glad that it is still contained and that I have a perfect spare kidney to fall back on!

Yes. Depending on your CT Scan details....sometimes the better....safer...more effective tumor surgery is to still do it with the open technique. 4cm is challenging to remove all the tumor and only take part of the kidney out. Depends on where on the kidney the mass is located.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Keep us updated.

jc

CalBlacksmith,

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

My PSA was 4.5 back in February and 3 out of 8 biopsies came positive. I had a RP on April 30 and still recovering. This was a total shock to me at the age of 44 and I had some difficult time getting through this. On the positive side, my PSA 8 weeks after the surgery came out as "undetectable".

Keep your spirits up.

Kudret