6550 tubes?

Tarheel

I want to try some 6550 tubes preferbly a matched quad of Tung Sol in my Quicksilver Horn Monos. Anyone have a lightly used quad for sell before I go to Doug's Tubes? Do they really sound that good or is the stubby round shape the attraction?

Thanks Speakerfritz and Seasteri......I found them at Doug's tubes for $125 for a matched quad. The Horn Monos can use a variety of tubes and came with EL-34s which I replaced with KT-77s. They are very attractive tubes but the KT-77s are almost new so I really would like to pick up a bargain. Seasteri I have'nt tried the KT-88s yet but they are also on my list. Will check ebay Fritz.

in another thread there was some concerns on using the tung-sol 6550 in amps that have plate voltages in the 500 volt range.

I want to try some 6550 tubes preferbly a matched quad of Tung Sol in my Quicksilver Horn Monos. Anyone have a lightly used quad for sell before I go to Doug's Tubes? Do they really sound that good or is the stubby round shape the attraction?

There is a distinct difference. I own and have tried both types, actually various types of each. Sound quality-wise, both my VRD's and McIntosh MC60's prefered the TungSol 6550 over the British KT88's (Genelex Goldlions or Std). TungSol's, in either solid black plate (my personal favorite), or 3 Hole greyplate beat the Britsh made KT88's hands down, JMHO.

Thanks Gilbert.....have you tried KT-77s? That is what I am using now and I wonder how they compare with the 6550s.

Chuck

No, I have not tried KT77's. They are not the specified power tube for the MC60's, and for the VRD's, Craig recommened the 6550 or KT88 series power tubes. So far, all I've tried in the VRD's is 6550's and KT88's. But keep asking other owners around here, and on the audiokarma forum for additional comparisons, and better sound descriptions than I can offer.

I have grown quite fond of the TungSol 6550's, they are IMHO a significantly better sounding tube. As for the bass comment, my BBX with VRDs singing through cornwalls have the perfect sound balance. There is no shortage of bass. To say that this combo lacks bass would be a joke. And as soon as I can move my 64 khorns into the master bedroom, I'm affraid the sound may become a little boomy. Hopefully not, I believe the Cornwalls are comparable bass spec's with the khorn. Their just achieved diffently.

• 2 weeks later...

i finally powered up my system friday night for the first time since april.

i put the tungsol 6550 in and have been listening to music since.

i had 18 brand new albums and bought 3 more yesterday plus 7 cd's.

i am down to 6 unopened albums.

this is the first weekend that i have nothing to do, but listen to music.

i really like these tubes so far. i do like 6550's over kt-88 in my system. i have no complaints with the sound either.

last week i was looking at getting either a 300b amp or el34, but after listening for the last couple days i decided i'm very happy with my system and going to spend the money on music.

so far bias voltage has been steady at .715vdc. i left the amps on friday night and check bias first thing saturday morning. all 4 tubes were reading .698vdc. i reset to .715vdc and they remained at that volt throught the day. i powered my system down last night and powered them up this morning, made coffee and when outside to get the papaer. i put on Joey DeFrancesco's "Goodfellas" and it sounded awesome. i wish i could tell you all the great terms dealing with stereo's, but i don't really know any. i just know what sounds good to me and what doesn't. right now my system sounds very good to me.

well i'm off to get a latte (5 shots of expresso), a little breakfast, get some laundry action going and listen to music for the rest of the day.

if you are still thinking about the tungsol reissue 6550's i would go for it.

doug's tubes has them (match quad) for about $130 shipped to your house. these tubes replaced 1985 ge 6550a that i bought in 03/05 for $385 a quad.

danny

Thanks for the review Danny......5 shots of expresso and I would be bouncing off the ceiling. I noticed you use a lot of vintage tubes. Are they better sounding than new tubes? I am going to buy the TS 6550s once I retube the preamp with nos tubes. Glad you are enjoying your system and new music.....keep me posted.

Transam......sending you a pm.

Chuck

chuck,

i just end up getting older tubes. better i don't really know. i just read that tuber's like older tubes and when i need tubes i just get older ones.

in my pre i'm using siemens e88cc. micophonic as all get out. added a pair of hebie's supersonic hal-09 telflon which control's the "ting" somewhat. according to kevin @ upscale i shouldn't be using them in AI M3A because of this very reason, but they sure sound good. i also like telefunken e88cc in my cd player.

i do 5 shots every day, so i'm use to it.

danny

Danny

I am looking at a lot of the same tubes you are using. The hardest to find nos for me is the 5AR4 and the 12FQ7. I need to slow down on the spending anyway. I keep saying no more after each thing I buy.

Is that your yellow lab? A very handsome dog.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/bbs.html Kt-77's have
been discussed a lot. If you are buying the new production JJ
make sure you buy them from a reputable dealer who will tell you
straight up that his stock is new and doesn't have the small pin
problem that plagued these tubes when they first came off the
line. You also want to make sure they have some sort of burn-in
policy as they have had some reliability issues. Jim McShane, a
reputable tube dealer, won't carry them for that reason.

But people who have heard them by and large have come back
and said they are the best output tubes they ever have had in their
system.

Paully.....I am using the JJ KT-77s. I am considering the 6550s if there is any benefit to the change. Have been using Doug'stubes.com for last couple of purchases. No complaints with the 77s just looking for tweaks. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks Gilbert.....have you tried KT-77s?  That is what I am using now and I wonder how they compare with the 6550s.

Chuck

KT-77's, which I have tried and like, are direct replacements for EL-34's.  If your amp can take an EL-34, it can take a KT-77.

For the K-88, there is the  6550, and , the KT-90.

Some amps can take both EL-34's and 6550's, those would be able to use KT-77's and EL-34's, and  the KT-90.

Yes folks, now there is a KT-100, replacement for the KT-88.