HK 3485 receiver which is rated at 120 watts per channel. I am new to
receivers and want to know is it alright to run 100 watt speakers from
a 120 watt receiver or should you try to match the receiver wattage to
the receiver? Would apprieciate any help on this, I found a good
buy on the receiver but don't want to order until I know it is ok to
use with these speakers.

Tomp

<>

SInce the way the amps watts are rated are different than the way that speaker watts are rated making a direct compare can be very confusing...

For home use....that power combo will work fine.

Most speaker manufacturers today recommend that the amplifier power is higher than the speaker rating so the amp is working in its clean operating range. A low-powered amp will be more likely to be driven into clipping if you run the volume really high, and clipping can really damage speakers.

Food for thought. Amplifiers are voltage multipliers. They have a fixed gain structure, and a "gain control" controls how much input level voltage corellates to the output voltage. This voltage across the speaker's impedance ( not the same thing as a DC resistance measured with an ohm meter ! ) determines the current flow. Most professional speakers or raw transducers are rated with a maximum voltage level.

However, the industry standard of watts means literally nothing. What is a watt? A watt is one volt applied across one ohm of resistance and causes a current flow of one ampere. However speakers are not resistive devices, and currents fluctuate wildly. A speaker company will take the "average" impedance and using the voltage applied across that average, derive a "wattage".

I have an H/K 3485 and thought is was bass light thru my Cornwall 1s.. It's unplugged.

It does have a subwoofer output, though.

I'm much happier running vintage receivers thru my speakers.

If it was me, I'd buy an an old Harman Kardon 730 or Sansui's 7070/8080 pieces if you can find a nice one. Much richer sound, In my opinion. But, then again the 3485 is pretty bulletproof.

I can't help but think you'll be looking for bass the 3485 receiver won't be able to give you though. Been there. Done that.

I have an H/K 3485 and thought is was bass light thru my Cornwall 1s.. It's unplugged.

It does have a subwoofer output, though.

I'm much happier running vintage receivers thru my speakers.

If it was me, I'd buy an an old Harman Kardon 730 or Sansui's 7070/8080 pieces if you can find a nice one. Much richer sound, In my opinion. But, then again the 3485 is pretty bulletproof.

I can't help but think you'll be looking for bass the 3485 receiver won't be able to give you though. Been there. Done that.

3480?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running "100 Watt" La Scalas with a 500Wpc Class D SS amp. Most of the time it's probably putting out half a watt or so, but it sounds very clean and has vast headroom/power reserves. Rimshots sound like real rimshots, for example. Drums and pianos in particular sound more realistic, perhaps because they're both acoustic percussion instruments, which are easy to describe as "real" or "not quite real" sounding, unlike electric guitars, whose sound varies depending on their amp settings and effects.

The speakers seem happy with this amp, although I suppose a determined and somewhat deaf person could send them up in smoke. I'm not likely to, and having an electronic volume control with over 3 turns from muted to full power makes an accidental slip of the wrist pretty unlikely.

I have a 3485 H/K.

Lets keep in mind I'm using Cornwall 1s and not Reference speakers.

We all know Heritage and Reference are quite different speakers as are vintage H/K receivers compared to thier new offerings.

Never should have stated vintage is better because I've never listened to reference speakers with my Harman Kardon 3485.

I apologize, Jay. I'm not down on that unit.

I made the assumption that all speakers are the same which is most shortsighteded of me.....

I know better than that.

There's nothing wrong with a H/K 3485. It's what sounds right to the owner's ears that determines correct.

Hell....I'm using an Adcom preamp and a big 'ol Crown PS 400 for power (and we know NOBODY like Crowns) and I'm happy.

My vintage H/Ks and Sansuis are unplugged also....... It's all ice cream. Which flavor do you prefer?

Again, my apologies, Jay.

• Moderators

" If it was me, I'd buy an an old Harman Kardon 730 or Sansui's 7070/8080 pieces if you can find a nice one. Much richer sound, In my opinion. "

Thanks to you I know what you mean ! That HK makes me [:D] every time I turn it on !

I have a 3485 H/K.

Lets keep in mind I'm using Cornwall 1s and not Reference speakers.

We all know Heritage and Reference are quite different speakers as are vintage H/K receivers compared to thier new offerings.

Never should have stated vintage is better because I've never listened to reference speakers with my Harman Kardon 3485.

I apologize, Jay. I'm not down on that unit.

I made the assumption that all speakers are the same which is most shortsighteded of me.....

I know better than that.

There's nothing wrong with a H/K 3485. It's what sounds right to the owner's ears that determines correct.

Hell....I'm using an Adcom preamp and a big 'ol Crown PS 400 for power (and we know NOBODY like Crowns) and I'm happy.

My vintage H/Ks and Sansuis are unplugged also....... It's all ice cream. Which flavor do you prefer?

Again, my apologies, Jay.

what are you apologizing for? You dislike the Harmon, okay.... I am not going to have a crisis if you dislike them or not. It was your decision and your thoughts that are your own....