Forte II's for $140.00

tom b. 57

Well, I just got back about 15 minutes ago. I got to the sellers home and found out that tyhey had nothing to hook them up to. They tried to get a dvd player to work, but, they couldn't get the darn thing to oprn up. The apartment looked like they were selling everything they had. My first thought was oh crap, they might be needing the money for drugs, but after talking with the couple for a few minutes I realized that wasn't the case. They are getting ready to make some new purchases and wanted to get rid of alot of their old stuff. The cabinets are in rough shape. With the worst being the tops. It looked as if someone was watering their plants right there on top of the speakers which caused some buckling of the cabinet on one. The other had the proverbial round spot where there must have been a plant there also but it had very little warping of the wood. They are black and have small nicks and chips in various places. Since I could not audition them and with the cabinets being in the shape they were, I offered $100.00. They accepted. I have just hooked them up in the bedroom with my Marantz 2275 and my Fortes and I think they sound pretty damn awesome. Being as late as it is, I did not pour the power to them. That will have to wait until tomorrow. I may be turning these over to make a couple of bucks, but, not right away. I want to enjoy them for a bit before I make that decision. I will fill you guys in on my thoughts as I listen to them a bit more. I love it when things work out well.

Tom

Opening these puppys up a little bit at the moment with some Wishbone Ash "Live Dates." They sound pretty good. I have been doing some a-b'ing with my Forte's. The Forte II's, of course, sound very similar, but, with a noticeable improvement in the bass. They also seem a tad bit louder at the same volume level. I could not find the SPL rating for the Forte. The SPL rating for the II's is 119db. Does anyone know what the Max Acoustic Output is for the Forte's? Clarity is pretty close to the same. I am not hearing a great deal of difference in the mids as of yet. All I know is that they are a bit ugly, but damn, they sound good. I may have a hard time parting with them, even though they are black and beatup a bit. I think I need a bigger place.

Tom

The sensitivity of the Forte is 98, the Forte II is 99. Thats the indication of a bit louder volume at the same input setting.

Glad to hear they're working. How'r the two holes on the passive you initially mentioned? What state are you buying these in?

If they were scrounging for cash to buy cornwall III's, they were doing it in slow motion at the $100 rate. Who knows what they were saving up for though?

I agree, it doesn't sound like they needed money to buy drugs, they probably grew them on top of their Forte's for years...

The sensitivity of the Forte is 98, the Forte II is 99. Thats the indication of a bit louder volume at the same input setting.

Glad to hear they're working. How'r the two holes on the passive you initially mentioned? What state are you buying these in?

If they were scrounging for cash to buy cornwall III's, they were doing it in slow motion at the $100 rate. Who knows what they were saving up for though?

I agree, it doesn't sound like they needed money to buy drugs, they probably grew them on top of their Forte's for years...

The two holes in the one passive radiator are about the size of a pencil lead. They are in the dust cap and are of no consequence. I am in Washington, just south of Seattle. You know I hadn't given that any thought. Maybe they did grow a few crops on top of them.

Tom

Very nice find! I bought my Forte IIs from a guy who was going into the priesthood, oiled oak for $275 in near mint condition. He ran tube amps through them ever since he had bought them new.

I had intended to buy them to turn them for a profit on eBay but I decided to hook them up at my place to have a listen. After A/B'ing with the RF-7s that I had at the time, the RF-7s went for sale on eBay (and I ended up losing money on them) and the Forte IIs took their place and are still there.