OT - Dirt Bikes and Jet Skis

• Moderators

Duke I love your choice, I had a Husky 250 in the late 70's, incredible bike, but I just don't think they were able to keep up. They still make a heck of a sewing machine, and one of the best hunting rifles, but as far as big dirt bikes, this is what our friend Tiger needs

post-15134-13819339496584_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to stop buyign stereo equipment and to concentrate on motor toys. I am looking for a pair of dirt bikes (the wife wants to ride too). Any recommendations. A friend fo mine said to start with a Honda CR250F for me (I am 6'1" ~190 lbs). I want soemthing light for my wife (although she grew up riding dirt bikes). There is also a Yamaha yZ450F for sale locally, but I think that this may be way too much bike for me, although the price may be right.

I like to idea of a Yamaha TTR150 or the Honda CRF150 for my wife (she is 5'7" and 115 lbs).

Any opinions?

I am also looking for a pair of sit down 4 stroke jet skis.

Well you are in luck my friend Tiger,

Seeing as how you live in Las Vegas, you can go talk to my buddy Milo. He owns and runs the wine store and bar in BC. Really nice place to go for an evening. He has owned a lot of dirt bikes, ridden them all over. As a matter of fact, he has a good friend that does rides in Baja on kick *** BMW off road bikes. You just get down there, he feeds ya, supplies the bikes, you just have to ride and not break your neck. You can go do that, if it is not your cup of tea you won't be out a bunch of money. You let me know if you want to meet up with ol Milo and I will get you set up. He is going to Sturges, which I beleive is around the corner, so if you want to get the info. on bikes real quick, let me know and I will get you hooked up.

The top 3 jet ski riders in the world were all living in Las Vegas and using Lake Meade as there playground when I was living there in the 80's/90's, and I have lost track of them all. I heard the lake is something like 60 to 80' down and several marinas are closed. Of course you can go to Laughlin or Havasu, but you think now is the time to get into water sports?

Travis

Travis,

Does your buddy do rentals?

I had a pair of jet skiis in the 1990's. I really liked them. It is still 100++ here, so there is a few motnhs of Jet Skiing left. I'd actually prefer to buy in late September or October and get a great end of season deal from a private party. You can start the season in April.

• Moderators

No, no rentals, he just rides because he loves it. His buddy does those trips to Baja, and they really put on a nice spread from what I have heard. But Milo can tell you all about what bikes he might reccomend for your situation. He can tell you all about those baja trips, and he just got back from a trip where you ride these 200 mile dirt loops and come back into town and sleep in a nice bed. Get up, do it all over again the next day.

Travis

[Coytee owned a Thumper, now go figure.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not if you mean four stroke... the YZ's didn't go 4 stroke until several years ago. This was back in 1980 when it was all 2 stroke & aviation fuel !! My Maico was also 2 stroke.

A little late here but buy the Yamaha big bore. You will quickly get used to it while the 250 will get old REAL FAST!

I still own a 78 YZ 400F, not the 460 which shakes it self to pieces. Like coytee said, these are 2 stroke machines and have LOTS of power! My son was about 17 at the time and I placed him on my bike and he had no problems. He has a IT 175 that was rebuilt from end to end.

I was back east (kansas I think) and a buddy was riding my 400, he had put it down because it was an "old bike" he had taken it up a hill that I was on the top of and his eyes were as big as dinner plates by the time he got to me, he finished the climb with the front wheel in the air and a grin on his face! Ya GOTTA love those big bore bikes!

Tiger

I have a friend here in Houston that has 2 Yamaha jet skis for sale. I am not sure what size they are and I think he is asking 12,000 for both of them and the trailer. His son bought them new and now is having trouble making the payments. I tried to call him to get the info but only got his voice mail. They look really nice. If you want more info send me your phone number in a PM.

Steve

How about a hair-raising 250+hp GP1200R Waverunner. It's a reliable (guaranteed) 2-stroke, has over $20 grand in parts (not including labor or the cost of the craft). Purchased new in 2001, and currently has just under 50hrs total. Always garaged, looks like new, and will peel the skin off your face from speed and acceleration. Ive blown by Triton and Skeeter bass boats with 250hp BlackMAX Mercs. Even raced a cigarette boat in Grand lake and feaked the dude out.

I'm hoping to get $8000 OBO, with trailer. I never use the damm thing, I just bought it to build an obnoxiously fast watercraft. Motor is blueprinted, and crank has been welded, trued and balanced by RIVA. Way too many parts to list. Guaranteed to scare the hell out of anything within 1000yrds, the motor sounds like a thumping bigblock when she breaks water at idle. Wicked Fast, and will hurt you if you disrespect her.

Here's a picture of my cheif mechanic at work......

Hmmm.... I smell a Darwin Award in the making. When you sell that make sure you have the buyer sign a waiver.

True story... a former student of mine built and raced motocross bikes in major competition. While at GMI/Kettering his (then current) bike was stolen by somebody who crossed a five acre parcel, broke a padlock, wheeled the bike all the way off of the property, started it and subsequently hurt himself while making his getaway.

The thief sued my student because he believed himself capable of stealing a stock motorcycle, but incapable of successfully stealing a bike so highly modified. The thief was awarded $12,000 for medial bills, pain and suffering. Only in Massachusetts.

Duke I love your choice, I had a Husky 250 in the late 70's, incredible bike, but I just don't think they were able to keep up. They still make a heck of a sewing machine, and one of the best hunting rifles, but as far as big dirt bikes, this is what our friend Tiger needs

up North here ...

Husky's are great in the Wood's ...tight trails, not the wide open stuf ya got out there ... + ...Mud ..[:S]

Any way's .. I'm a Yammy, 'n Montessa guy ...

TT500 yammy for trails, Montessa Cota, for Trial's ....[:)]

• Moderators

Ah yes I forgot about those YZ's. Yamaha was doing everything could to try and compete in the 500cc division of motocross so they were coming up with a bigger displacement bike to try and do better. It didn't matter, nobody could win until THE MAN retired. It seems like the first "Thumper" I remember was a 500cc Honda, single cyl. 4 stroke. But before that I seem to recall some of the hill climbers that would be around where we rode would have a 2 cyl BSA, a single cyl Norton, and I can't remember what else, but they would have that very distinctive deep sound as opposed to our peanut oil smelling twangy bikes.

Travis

• Moderators

TT500 ... four stroke .. 1981 .. onena the first ..[:)]

got a couple Triumph Trophy Trails, too .. 500 twin's

Duke,

I am thinking something had come out in 76 or '77, and then they went to a 650 single cyl., or was that a 2 stroke I am thinking of that would be in the late '70's? Would Honda have had a 4 stroke big bore in '76 time frame? And now I seem to remember a really big single, like 750, that was a water cooled dirt bike. But my memory may be failing me.

Travis

oooohhhh bad memory ..[;)]

81 was really the start, and the end , of traditional dirt bikes ..

TT500, really the first 4 stroke thumper.Japanese style ...then there was the Bezaa bikes, of 441cc say, '75> 79' .. the Victor, as Triumph/ BSA self destructed due to the Union lock out

by 83, they were going monoshock, and long travel, watercooling, i think hit about 85...

by 83, they were going monoshock, and long travel, watercooling, i think hit about 85...

Don't forget that Yamaha was doing monoshocks several YEARS prior to (I think) everyone else. I don't recall anyone doing a mono in the rear at the same time.

As I understand it, the 1983 Maico 490 was like the tallest bike ever made (seat height)...(and please don't ask me, Mr. Shortlegs, why I might have noticed [*-)])

Just think about a circus clown on a tricycle who comes to a stop and simply plops over because his feet don't reach the ground... [^o)]