Wife Friendly Surround Speakers for RF-7

Southern

• Moderators

"With that said I just ordered a pair of RS-7's to complete my HT setup. I just hope I didn't take advice from a divorce attorney"

Nope no attorneys posted in this thread that I am aware of.....do you really think you might need one????[;)]

Congratulations!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an inside joke (I hope) since my previous neighbor is a divorce attorney.

I broke the news tonight (in front of neighbors) that I purchased surround speakers for my HT system. I will work with my wife as to how they will be mounted. My wife thinks that I am taking over the entire house with my speakers. I have my 2 channel in the basement with 270 watts per channel feeding the Fortes and now my RF-7's bi-amped with 140 watts X7 feeding them. Since I like my music lifelike (loud) my entire family and neighbors can appreciate my Klipsch speakers.

• Moderators

You did the right thing ! Once they are installed for a week or so they will disappear.

To tell you the truth when I walked into Indy's upstairs living room I did not notice the RS 7's hanging on the back wall until he pointed them out !

• Moderators

You did the right thing ! Once they are installed for a week or so they will disappear.

To tell you the truth when I walked into Indy's upstairs living room I did not notice the RS 7's hanging on the back wall until he pointed them out ! I thought it was a 2 CH setup because the center is out of sight !

Both of you will love the way they sound. [Y]

• Moderators

"You did the right thing ! Once they are installed for a week or so they will disappear."

dtel is correct. I hardly even notice those three Forte IIs hanging behind my head in our family room![;)]

Seriously, we had about thirty people over Sunday for our grandson's birthday party. One of the guys who is about 26 years old was playing the Wii in the family room. I made a comment about the rear surround speakers and he said, "What speakers?" I pointed to the three Forte IIs and he said, "I didn't even notice them until now?????

• Moderators

Nope no attorneys posted in this thread that I am aware of

No, you are wrong on that note.

Anyway - good choice. They do blend-in over time. You know, you get used to hanging if you hang long enough.

I apologize Hunt, I meant no disrespect as I was not aware that you are an attorney.

BTW, would purchasing speakers without your wife/husband's approval be grounds for divorce?[;)] I know, I know in your best attorney voice, "It depends on the circumstances!"[;)]

I'd have to charge you a retainer first! (not really, as IN is a "no fault" State). The best advise I read a while back, was to first buy your significant other a nice piece of jewelry, (or some other meaningful item to fill in the blank) then upgrade. My route was from RB-35 bookshelves to RF-5's, then to RF-7's. I tried the RC 25, the 35, then finally the RC-7 before I was happy. The side surrounds went through the same progression - RS 25, 35, then the RS-7's. Throughout the whole ordeal, my wife was not too pleased and thought I was crazy, but it did give us an excuse to remodel our family room to accomodate both of our needs. That made her happy, and although she would be just as content with a 15" black and white TV with no stereo, she does concede (every once in a while) that the HT is impressive. Life (and marriage) is about compromise and balance.

...just don't let the compromise come at the expense of the Klipsch speakers!

I forget which one we heard at the pilgrimage in Indy this year, but the Reference in-walls sounded amazing there in the khorn room (we got a short 2-channel demonstration):
http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/in-wall-home-audio-reference.aspx
It was either the RW-5800 or the R-5650-S. I'm think it was the 5800, but not entirely sure.

Surely the wife would go for an in-wall solution?

I would not recommend the Paradigm because their sensitivity is very low and they won't come close to a timbre match.

R 5650 S is a killer surround speaker. Roy got a patent on the unique horn design.

You would be surprised Michael how many women do not notice them or know what they are as well.

But they do appreciate them on great chick flick movies!!

I'm not qualified to respond to this thread do to lacking in the relationship area.

I truly feel for you guys, but consider the poor fellow who has mountains of Klipsch and no one to share them with. Who is better off? Count your blessings, mmmk?

I forget which one we heard at the pilgrimage in Indy this year, but the Reference in-walls sounded amazing there in the khorn room (we got a short 2-channel demonstration):

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/in-wall-home-audio-reference.aspx

It was either the RW-5800 or the R-5650-S. I'm think it was the 5800, but not entirely sure.

Surely the wife would go for an in-wall solution?

I would not recommend the Paradigm because their sensitivity is very low and they won't come close to a timbre match.

R 5650 S is a killer surround speaker. Roy got a patent on the unique horn design.

I thought Mark Kaufman got the patent? Was it one of those dual patent things?

Southern

Where did you order those RS-7's from? I have been looking for a pair for a couple of months.

Thanks,

Dave

I got them from e-bay. The seller listed them for $275 Buy It Now. They are white without grills. I actually got them the other day and after cleaning them up and they are amazing. (The seller needs to cut back on his smoking). I am very happy with the sound both with 7-channel stereo and surround. The next issue is mounting them, like the rest of my speakers the wife thinks that they are too big.

With the RS-7's you need to check listings often since they tend to sell fast especially with low buy it now options.

There are places like this: http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=532&sc=29 that sell them for around $700.

• Moderators

Southern,

I think once the speakers are mounted and your wife has the opportunity to listen to the "sound experience" you are building she will love it.

As others have said.... after a while the speakers will be barely noticeable. I have found dtel notices the speakers more than anyone, including me and folks that visit our home. It is not uncommon for us to have thirty to forty people over numerous times of the year. Some of those people have never visited our home before. They don't even notice the huge Fortes and Forte IIs mounted overhead as "rears". I will try to get dtel to take some photographs of them later.

I actually called to order a pair from acousticsounddesign and they do not have any RS-7's, even though they list them on their website. They substitute RS-61's since they can no longer get RS-7's. I asked why they list them if they do not have them and they responded that it has something to do with only being licensed as an online dealer. ?? Does not make sense to me.