Wife Friendly Surround Speakers for RF-7

Southern

My HT consists of RF-7's, RC-7 and SVS PB-12 +2 and the matching surround speaker would be the RS-7.

The problem is my wife is already horrified by the size of the the speakers mentioned above and when I showed her a picture of the RS-7's she immediately shot them down.

My HT is mainly used for movies since I have an independent 2 channel setup in the basement.

Does anyone have any recommendations on matching surrounds for my HT setup? They don't need to be current production surrounds, I prefer the used market. I was thinking along the lines of Paradigm ADP-190's for the size but don't know how they would match (acoustically) with my existing speakers. I would also like them to keep up with the 140 watts that my HT receiver puts out.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget which one we heard at the pilgrimage in Indy this year, but the Reference in-walls sounded amazing there in the khorn room (we got a short 2-channel demonstration):

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/in-wall-home-audio-reference.aspx

It was either the RW-5800 or the R-5650-S. I'm think it was the 5800, but not entirely sure.

Surely the wife would go for an in-wall solution?

I would not recommend the Paradigm because their sensitivity is very low and they won't come close to a timbre match.

I could say get some you know what, man, and go for the RS-7's, but I know WAF...

The thing is..... once they are up there, they do seem to dissapear. Maybe some trust here is needed, but these spakers.. RS7's do match the RF 7's perfectly for side surrounds.

Try this.. Look into her eyes.. Be honest with her too... They sound sooooo awesome, and hun... were trying to create a mood here... a experience with movies and concerts for both of us, too, with Klipsch. I want something we can be both proud of, because we did it right the first time. I do not want to feel like we have to "upgrade it" later. You know we will probably never do that! Besides do we want to put more holes in the walls...? We didn't say, "I kinda do" to marriage.. we said, "I do".. 100% on trust and faith, it will work out. I mean think about it, OK? I didn't wish for 2nd best when I wanted you to be my wife, I wanted the perfect girl for me, for life.. I want to enjoy this system for our life..

(Take a deep breath and say this..) It is important to me, and I "want this" to be the right descision for us the first time, much like you were for me for my lifetime....

THEN SHUT UP>>>>>>

If you can twist her arm a little, do it. You both WILL be handsomely rewarded!

I can remember a few years ago when I showed my wife my Reference 7 system, including the RS7s.

She asked "what are those for?" I said "they are the surround speakers, they hang up on the wall." She said "you are not hanging those on the wall". I said "yes I am". She said "no your'e not". I said "Yes I am". This went back and orth a couple more time.

Teh next day she admitted that while talking to coworkers, they actually sided with me, telling her to "let him do what he wants in the family room for your home theater. He knows what he is doing"

As mentioned above, they eventually blend in. I hung them, they sound very good, and not once has she complained about them. Honestly.

I have mine mounted about 6 inches from the ceiling.

I agree with the previous responder about looking her in the eye, promise her she will ove the end result, and to please TRUST you on this.

Good luck!

I went thru a situation like this with my wife also. I had the RS-3, alot smaller than the RS-7. My wife said no way. I took a chance and painted them to match the walls, a golden tone. I removed the grills and painted the entire cabinet the gold(removing the drivers first). My wife was quick to show of the speakers to all who would come into the house as if they were some sort of decoration or art work. She still frowns at me when I watch movies at decent play back levels, but I save the good ones for when the house is all mine ! I always try to do something big or important for my wife before I ask for something for myself, this also helps prime her for my "small" requests.

Thanks for the input however I used up my wife favors when she agreed for me to purchase the SVS sub. Once it was delivered all hell broke loose. I even offered to keep the RS-7's off the wall and mount them when I would watch a movie but she didn't go for that either. I do have another angle since we are in the process of selecting new kitchen cabinets and counter tops I just might sneek in some surrounds.

I have a pair of mint RS35's that I'd like to get rid of. They're white, so if you have light colored walls they (almost) disappear when mounted. (Maybe your wife won't even notice them?) [6]

http://webpages.charter.net/htpix/P9110337.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/htpix/P9110331.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/htpix/P9110335.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/htpix/P9110339.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/htpix/P9110340.JPG

• Moderators

Coming from another woman......IMO, Indy's initial approach is your best bet.

and dtel.....since when did begging work? or better yet when did you have to beg???? You usually get your way....once you convince me it's the RIGHT way!!!!!

• Moderators

Catharsis,

I have shared this secret here before....but I'll share it again...it's simple you join the forum....keep her interested in what's going on with everyone here....keep talking about what's best for you (and her) as far as audio goes....keep talking....keep talking....keep talking and eventually she will give in....then she will finally HEAR what you were trying to tell her and LOVE IT.

I "knew" alot of folks on this forum before I even joined....every time someone had a child, got married, celebrated a birthday or anniversary or told a joke dtel told me about. I couldn't figure out why he liked this place so much....now I know.

It worked for dtel....I guess that is what he calls "begging". I just need some "convincing"....that's all....heck he even managed to come home from the Pilgrimage with a pair of Heresies....in addition to other four pair of Klipsch speakers currently gracing our family room!!!!

He's really smooth, huh????

If you are set on hanging them on the wall, I would check out the RS-62's, as they look a tad less intrusive, but would perform well for movies. I had a similar struggle a while back, and finally compromised with the RS-7's on the sides, and in-walls for the back, in a 7.1 config. I used the RCW-5's, which were the predecessor to the 5800's, I believe. The new ones had just come out, but had a manufacturing defect/flaw that caused them to be recalled. My in-walls sound terrific, and although I very much like my RS-7's on the side, I don't think I would have been disappointed at all with in-walls for my side surrounds. With the type of information that comes from the surrrounds while watching movies, I wouldn't be too concerned with what you end up with as long as you stay in the Klipsch reference line. In fact, if I were doing my room all over today, with the information/listening experience I have now, I would probably go with in-walls for all my surrounds. Good luck and enjoy.

Does she keep your balls in a mason jar under the kitchen sink too, and only lets you play with them on weekends. Why are guys so spineless these days when it comes to matters of the home that they are paying for too! Gimme a break!

What would she think of four Klipschorn's, a La Scala, and a pair of Cornwalls in the same room I wonder.

Gone are the days of old when knights were bold, in favor of the kinder sissy boy husband. Yikes!

My wife and her sister actually took our minivan to NC from VT and back to retrieve our rear Klipschorn's and has been with me on adventures to pick up Klipschorn's, Belle's, La Scala's and multiple pairs of Cornwalls, and even a pair of Speakerlab model K's. I guess I am just really lucky. [:)]

I could have bought a boat, a pair of jet ski's, 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, or anything else but I put together something that the entire family can enjoy year round and that is the way that I look at it.

Does she keep your balls in a mason jar under the kitchen sink too, and only lets you play with them on weekends. Why are guys so spineless these days when it comes to matters of the home that they are paying for too! Gimme a break!

What would she think of four Klipschorn's, a La Scala, and a pair of Cornwalls in the same room I wonder.

Gone are the days of old when knights were bold, in favor of the kinder sissy boy husband. Yikes!

My wife and her sister actually took our minivan to NC from VT and back to retrieve our rear Klipschorn's and has been with me on adventures to pick up Klipschorn's, Belle's, La Scala's and multiple pairs of Cornwalls, and even a pair of Speakerlab model K's. I guess I am just really lucky. [:)]

I could have bought a boat, a pair of jet ski's, 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, or anything else but I put together something that the entire family can enjoy year round and that is the way that I look at it.

Frzninvt you are correct, I've been working hard at work with little vacation time off and putting in overtime as well as agreeing to re-due the kitchen. With that said I just ordered a pair of RS-7's to complete my HT setup. I just hope I didn't take advice from a divorce attorney.

How does the Speakerlab K's perform against the Klipschorn's? My first speakers were Speakerlab 30's.

Southern.... "With that said I just ordered a pair of RS-7's to complete my HT setup.

THANK YOU... You will not be dissapointed!!

I have yet to be disappointed with a Klipsch product. It all started with my Fortes and now a RF-7 system. One of these days I will have my sons help me haul the RF-7 downstairs and do an AB comparison with the Fortes. The Fortes sound like they have more punch but I suspect it is due to the receiver driving them. Unfortunately or fortunately (depends on the situation) I would love to have a pair of Klipschorns.