Wife Friendly Surround Speakers for RF-7

Southern

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't believe that you "snuck in" a Volkswagon-sized SVS PB-12 +2 and the surrounds are going to be a problem :-)

The RF-7's/RC-7 was the beginning, the SVS broke the camels back, and now I am dealing with the RS-7's. I had to put the SVS in the living room where it can double as a lamp table, fortunately it is gloss black. There are double doors which open to the family room where my HT setup is. Since the SVS can fill the entire house with thundering bass the location is not a problem.

Dtel's wife: I am breaking in the wife slowly, I mounted the screws on the wall for the RS-7's and had the wife get some movies from the library. I offered to mount the RS-7's for her movies but she is still pouting about the size of my HT speakers and about the screws. I need to get some proper screws from the hardware store and paint them to match the wall. I had them mounted on the wall when the wife wasn't home and I thought that they look like part of the family room. I will take some pics and post them. I couldn't imagine mounting my Forte's on the wall.

Dvcdude: Sorry to hear about places that advertise speakers that they no longer have for sale. You could keep trying e-bay if you don't mind used speakers, they usually have a pair up about every 2 to 3 months.

Thank you very much for the information.

I apologize to everyone on the board for my outburst. I try to be positive in all of my postings and had just recently had that experience. I should have taken a breath before I hit post. [:$]

I did not sense anything negative about your post, you were just stating the facts. The seller should pull the advertisment for the equipment that they cannot get, isn't that considered bait and switch?

BTW, there is a pair of RS-7's currently on e-bay.

I could say get some you know what, man, and go for the RS-7's, but I know WAF...

The thing is..... once they are up there, they do seem to dissapear. Maybe some trust here is needed, but these spakers.. RS7's do match the RF 7's perfectly for side surrounds.

Try this.. Look into her eyes.. Be honest with her too... They sound sooooo awesome, and hun... were trying to create a mood here... a experience with movies and concerts for both of us, too, with Klipsch. I want something we can be both proud of, because we did it right the first time. I do not want to feel like we have to "upgrade it" later. You know we will probably never do that! Besides do we want to put more holes in the walls...? We didn't say, "I kinda do" to marriage.. we said, "I do".. 100% on trust and faith, it will work out. I mean think about it, OK? I didn't wish for 2nd best when I wanted you to be my wife, I wanted the perfect girl for me, for life.. I want to enjoy this system for our life..

(Take a deep breath and say this..) It is important to me, and I "want this" to be the right descision for us the first time, much like you were for me for my lifetime....

THEN SHUT UP>>>>>>

If you can twist her arm a little, do it. You both WILL be handsomely rewarded!

Great post!

[Y]

• Moderators

Yes, she could have Forte IIs mounted behind her head everytime she sits on the sofa!!! Actually, I don't even think about the Fortes hanging behind my head anymore.

I trust dtel put them up securely enough they won't fall on my head![;)]

Don't get any "bright" ideas dtel!!!!![;)]

Dtel & wife, I'm afraid that if I sent my wife over to your place that she would pack my speakers and drop them off with me at your front door.

Here are some photos of my HT setup and my SVS sub:

img0001wh5.jpg

img0004go5.jpg

img0005bx1.jpg

The A/V gear on the coffee table needs to be cleaned up once we decide on some cabinets, but overall I think the speaker setup looks quite respectable.

Hey All:

I have a new home being built right now. I have a media room 13W x 17.5L x 10'H. I plan to use the following: RF-7's up front, RC-7, CDT-5800's for Surround back and a SVS PB12+/2 sub. The only thing I'm not sure with is to use R-5650-S for surround in walls or fork up the extra cash for a pair of KS-7800s. I just don't want to go with the R-5650's and then later find out it dosen't have the bite like the rest of the speakers. The only thing is heard the THX are for rooms larger than 3000 cuft and will it have the same timbre matching of the other speakers?. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Jonathan (cali)

The wife is not giving me a hard time about the surrounds since I took them down after I was done listening to them. I will need to break in the wife slowly and start leaving them up on the wall as well as make some grills for them to help protect the woofer.

Jonathan,

I don't have experience with the surround speakers that you listed however looking at the specs, neither of them have the power handling or the efficiency of the RS-7's which are the matching surrounds for the RF-7/RC-7's. The CDT-5800C comes the closest at 94dB but is rated only for 50 watts.

After hooking up my RS-7's I calibrated them through the A/V receiver and due to the efficiency of the speakers it adjusted them all by -9.0dB.

But there's no way I getting the wife to allow me to throw those on the sides.

Thats what I said before I bought my RS-7's. Is your wife still pissed about the size of your SVS subwoofer?

Why don't we pack-up our wife's and send them over to Dtel's house for some speaker edicate.

The RS-62 would be a better match then the in-wall speakers you listed, they are taller then the RS-7's but not as wide.

I actually called to order a pair from acousticsounddesign and they do not have any RS-7's, even though they list them on their website. They substitute RS-61's since they can no longer get RS-7's. I asked why they list them if they do not have them and they responded that it has something to do with only being licensed as an online dealer. ?? Does not make sense to me.

I will discuss this with our internet police. Authorized online dealers generally only carry discontinued merchandise.

• Moderators

" Why don't we pack-up our wife's and send them over to Dtel's house for some speaker edicate."

No speaker etiquette here, just put them where they should sound best and let them rip !

Just put them up when you use them, and take them down after, then just get lazy with taking them down part after a while ! [:P]