Sad sad day

unimorpheus

I was looking at the Klipsch product side and was dumbfounded. No RSWs, no RF-5s or 7s, no RC-7s or RS-7s. In my opinion no reference line. I was very happy to see the heritage line again. Maybe i will finally get to hear some Klipsch Horns in action. But alas no reference line. I don't know what Klipsch is thinking. Has Klipsch gone the way of so many other brands and relegated its products to the volume sellers or am I totally of base here and missing something? Please tell me I am missing something.

might be wise to listen to the replacement series IV before forming a worthless, unbasised opinion....

From a physical and specification standpoint the series IV components do not match up with the reference systems of old. If I were to say need to replace my RC-7 or RF-5s I would have to go bigger or smaller in size and capability. Not always an option. Looking at the different models in terms of system building Klipsch seems to always have holes in a lineup, combining products from different performance levels to complete a system. My system seems to live somewhere between the RF-82 and RF-63 in terms of size and performance.

I have also noticed the physical size and weight of some components have increased in some cases significantly. (although I don't know how the new RT-12D compares to the RSW-12. I suspect the new subs asymmetrically match the old RSW line) This is not to say the products don't perform, I just wonder if I would need to buy more system than I can accommodate to match the performance of an existing platform.

Sounds like the day is not as sad as you thought at least. Claiming the new reference line was equal to no reference line. Sorry your older line items are not equal to current line items.

Maybe you'd be best off pursuing used series III if you need a particular model to mate/replace an existing piece.

While I'm a fan of the old RF-7s and RSW subs, there are plenty of options in the current lineup. For example, an all Heresey theater with the THX subs would be a killer theater. Just set the crossover at 80 Hz with an all small setting and go for it.

If the Rf-83s are too big, try the RF63s or RF-82s.

There is still a market in Rf-7s and RC-7 both new and used. Change is inevitable and nothing to be concerned about at a company like Klipsch.

Bill

I have personally A/B'd the RF7 and RF83, albeit for a brief time. IMHO, the 83 topped the mighty 7.

Reference is alive and well.

I had the 83's for a few months beside my 7's,the 83's are a fine speaker,but I kept my 7's.This is all about different strokes so try em' all.

I have personally A/B'd the RF7 and RF83, albeit for a brief time. IMHO, the 83 topped the mighty 7.

Reference is alive and well.

As you can see from my sig I have an RF-5 based system. I have listened to the RF-7s on many and occasion and they are/were spectacular. I have not listened to a set of 83s let alone an 83 suround system buy from reading the specs and knowing the performance of the 7s I can only think the 83s have to be way over the top. You must need a HUGE room for that system. The last system I listened to before my Klipsch dealer shut down was the new at the time RVX line. Man did those puppies suck. From my limited listening experience the big tall multi driver systems from any manufacturer just don't perform and IMHO appear to be a marketing gimmick so I was not to exited about the 63s or 83s. As I have been playing in the sandbox for nearly the last two years I have not had the opportunity to listen to any new products or my own system for that matter. Ipods are high end audio over here. [:(]

• Moderators

The last system I listened to before my Klipsch dealer shut down was the new at the time RVX line. Man did those puppies suck. From my limited listening experience the big tall multi driver systems from any manufacturer just don't perform and IMHO appear to be a marketing gimmick so I was not to exited about the 63s or 83s. [:(]

The RVX line isn't a marketing "gimmick"--they are an answer to consumer and dealer demand for sleek, stylish speakers to compliment flat-panel theater systems. The cabinets are not big and bulky, so you're not going to get the same performance (depth) out of them as say the RF-7 or RF-83s.

They should not to be compared acoustically, nor to they "replace" either of them. They are simply a different look for customers who value asthetics over acoustics. You won't see too many of them posting in this forum [:)]

The RF-7 and RF-83 will definitely be a decsion based on personal perference--they are that different. I don't believe one is "better than" the other.

• Moderators

LOL

I told you they exist...they just don't post here. You'll see them posting over at Sharper Image, or something like that [:)]

And it certainly doesn't mean they sound terrible. Just like everything else we do, they are engineered to be "best in class." Compare them with other flat panel solutions in the same price point....

Being in the service, do you have access to those deep discount military stores we hear about? Get yourself some Heritage speakers for when you're back home and quit worrying about Reference speakers. After a long time "in the sandbox", you deserve some really good sound.

They should not to be compared acoustically, nor to they "replace" either of them.

Point taken. This fact was not immediately clear when the RVX line was introduced. At lease at my Klipsch dealer the RVX line represented the future of reference. My explain why they are no longer in business. [:$]

They are simply a different look for customers who
value aesthetics over acoustics.

That is just........damn. Those poor people. [:S]

The RF-7 and RF-83 will definitely be a decision based on personal preference--they are that different.

Interesting. I will definitely have the add the 83s to my wish list of system auditions. I have been wanting to hear the vaulted Heritage line forever.

Being in the service, do you have access to those deep discount military stores we hear about?

Those discounts are not what they used to be. The margin for electronics is very small and the only real 'discount' is the tax free purchase.

Get yourself some
Heritage speakers for when you're back home and quit worrying about
Reference speakers.

If I only had the space. As it stands I cannot 'air out' the system I currently own. Apparently the RSW-12 rattles the property managers dishes. [:D] That will definitely happen once the house thing happens.