System for dorm room

Budget and security would be my primary considerations. I wouldn't take a big dollar system to a dorm room only to have it trashed or stolen. I've got one of the early ProMedia V4.200 systems (4.1, THX system) and it still rocks as hard today as it did when I bought it, back in the late 90's. I used it for my home entertainment system in my apartments after college and it served the purpose very well. Now, compared to my current RF7 / QSC system, it sounds like an old 40's radio playing through tissue paper speaker cones - but for what it is, a PC sound system, it's one of the best I've ever heard. Only when compared against equipment costing many times as much do you notice what it's lacking.

That said, a ProMedia 5.1 Ultra setup should blow my V4.200 system away. I'd go with the 5.1 Ultra setup and not look back. Even if it's stolen, you're out a few hundred instead of over a thousand bucks. You hear a lot about the 5.1 subs dieing, but what you don't hear about is the ones that don't die. So, don't worry about the sub. Make sure it's got good ventilation and let it rip. If it dies, then worry about repair or upgrade. It's not like they're all going to fail.

For a more compact system, the 2.1 setup is pretty hard to beat.

If I needed a compact inexpensive system I'd go for a pair of beater Heresy's and a Trend Audio TA-10 digital amp. Should get all for less than $450, and have a real descent sounding system.

it would beat 99% of all dorm room speakers out there without doubt

FWIW I've had my ProMedia 2.1 sub/satellite system since '03 connected to a Realtek AC97 audio device (part of my motherboard) in my DIY PC. I usually play classical pipe organ music through 'em at rather high levels (same with classic rock bands), and since I don't abuse the subwoofer bass control on the preamp (set at 9 o'clock) and the sub itself is set along the right side wall away from boomy corners of my room, I'm definately not lacking for clean, tight bass! No reliability issues here...these PC loudspeakers still rock despite problems to the contrary (from people who max out the controls and fry 'em)!

post-11084-13819339863182_thumb.jpg

I'm goin back to school after summer here in about 2 weeks. I'll be bringing my RF-83's, svs PB12-plus, sony 5200es, 47 inch lcd, ect. and will be shoving it into a 12x14 foot room (of course it will be 1 of 3 connected rooms in my dorm room "suite" as they call it, so maybe its different). I dont see a problem with that at all...of course last year all i had was a logitech z-5500 system that i bought off ebay for like 400 or something like that. Anyone who came in gave me good comments about how good it sounded and i had PLENTY of complaints from neighbors on other floors. That was probably more power then was practical at college but really was better then just about everyone else out there.

Good god that's a lot! I just bought the 7 series (rf-7,rc-7,rsw-15,rs-7) and was contemplating to keep them in my room, but due to financial issues, I've had to sell some of them and running them in a 15x16 room with a 37" LCD with a set of RB-75's. Oh well I've just got to keep my stuff portable. There's no way I would have been able to lug the 7 series around with me anyways.

Also there's no way you can mistake the GSX 2.1 for the RF-7's. I initially thought that the 5.1 ultra's were the epitome of sound and that more expensive speakers were simple a status symbol until I actually had money and bought some. The 5.1's are a good deal, the iFi's are nicer sounding, but reference or heritage are loads better. I really hated the RF-3's sound and I would definitely buy heresies or RB-75's. Don't buy the towers yet they are way to hard to move around.

Thanks for all the info! Having looked into it a few more days, I think that I'm gonna give the 5.1 Ultras a shot afterall. Like many have said here, I don't think I'm gonna find a better set-up unless I want to go ahead and spend several times as much. (Promedia systems selling for $200 on eBay).

The sub/amp problems are probally not as bad as I had thought initially, considering that the owners of ones that DO work just fine are probably alot less likely to bother making comments about it. And with the money I'd be saving I could afford to get the sub fixed a few times anyway..

I can look forward to upgrading in the future once i get out of college and start making some real $$$.

ALSO...I have run into somewhat of a problem. The "speaker docking module" for the Creative X-fi notebook sound card isn't available ANYWHERE yet, and theres no scheduled day for release.

What other options do I have for connecting the promedias to the laptop? Are there good external soundcards on the market that would work?

EDIT: This might be what I'm looking for.. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=9103

Also, this would be to hook up promedia 5.1 ultras

There are some usb options that might work ok for you... not too expensive at all. Perhaps Dr. Who will chime in here...

Or Jay, or some of the others.

I have a Tascam usb device, but I use it for recording, so it also has microphone preamps in it. You wouldn't need that much. Line in/out, maybe a digital i/o. All depends on what you want to hook it up to.

Bruce

You can buy a used integrated stereo amp, like a Technics SA-200 for $25 to $35 on ebay, and a pair of JBL 2500s - $20 to $30 (add shipping for both). Get a Y cable from Radio Shack for less than $10 (runs from the computer to the amp). Whole deal should be less than $100, and I can assure you will have great sound. I am using that setup on my desktop. I cannot listen at over 1/4 volumn. Don't sell the little speaker short, as it has a nice sound.

Just so the Klipsch purest won't get upset, I have 3 pairs of Herseys, but a pair won't fit where I have the computer.