System for dorm room

I was looking into getting the Promedia 5.1 Ultra for my laptop though a X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook soundcard. Apparently the 5.1 cant be beat for sound quality for computer speakers, but I cant afford to have the sub/amp dieing on me all the time, and this system is going to get some fairly heavy use.

Would it be feasable to use a a Synergy Sub-12 and RB-51 speaks out of a notebook soundcard? Or is there a good reason to use the ProMedia series for computers? How would the sound of this setup compare to the promedia 5.1? I've the Promedia sub is hard to beat save for durability issuses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of the system I had in my dorm. True story. You can see the LaScalas in the background. What you CAN'T see are the Electro Voice Interface D speakers that were also in there (about size of Cornwalls)

yep... them was the days.

Of course that probably means my advice to you is worthless. I evidently have a propensity of suggesting people buy Jubilees when they have a $500 budget and a 10x14 room.

[:|]

post-15072-13819339754172_thumb.jpg

I was looking into getting the Promedia 5.1 Ultra for my laptop though a X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook soundcard. Apparently the 5.1 cant be beat for sound quality for computer speakers, but I cant afford to have the sub/amp dieing on me all the time, and this system is going to get some fairly heavy use.

Would it be feasable to use a a Synergy Sub-12 and RB-51 speaks out of a notebook soundcard? Or is there a good reason to use the ProMedia series for computers? How would the sound of this setup compare to the promedia 5.1? I've the Promedia sub is hard to beat save for durability issuses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah I suppose I had the same dilemma, so I moved on to HT stuff as well. As far as the X-fi, yes it's good and so it philips aurillium (I think that's how you spell it). Anyways in short, no the 5.1 ultra's are pretty below any of the RB stuff. If you're in a dorm, as I was 2 years ago, then I'd suggest the following depending on your cash. It also depends on whether you're going to be doing gaming and movies, thus 5.1, or music and some movies, 2.1. I had 5.1 which is awesome, but rather cumbersome to take care of seeing how there's a ton of wires and such so I prefer 2.1. I initially moved up from the 5.1 ultra's to RF-3's (older tower speakers) to RB-75's (somewhat smaller) bookshelf speakers. I'll just throw down some numbers for you. I also prefer the sound of Harmon Kardon 3480 or 3485. *I wouldn't ever buy the RB-51. Lol it's a matter of pride. Buying the lowest end just sucks*

You need a receiver so the HK-3480 is about $250 on ebay

Sub-12 about 300-350 on ebay (these subs die just like the promedias do so perhaps look into another brand. I have a sub-12 and its great)

RB-81 about $500 on ebay (I think)

RB-75 about $600-$700

RF-3's about $400-$500

RF-35 about $500-$600

RF-5 $600-$750

RF-7 $1000-$1300

These are prices that I've seen also think about heresys. They look like crap, but sound good. I didn't like the RF-3's, RF-35's, RF-5's due to a sort of missing mid range, but I believe that anything with the legendary 1.75" tweeter does fine.

redpointist,

either way you go will sound very good. you'd need a decent receiver for the RB-51's of course.

I tell you something that is both simple and killer is the Promedia GMX-A 2.1

Here's the truth: first time I heard them Trey Cannon was setting them up for a door prize at a Klipsch gathering. He was setting the sats up on top of a pair of RF-7's playing Rush or something. I left the room and came back a few minutes later and thought the RF-7's were still cranking. I was wrong. It was the 2.1's. Absolutely blew me away with the sound and the ga ga factor of the bang for the buck ratio.

I got a pair for my daughter's HS graduation and she's been playing the heck out of them for two years.

For a dorm room I would recommend keeping it simple with a 2 channel system. You can run from your laptop but you need a good amp and speakers. A budget would help for giving suggestions. If you are just going to buy speakers for the laptop then dee's idea of the 2.1 system is a good one.

Unless you're a gamer, or have the layout and space to be seated properly in the middle of 5 carefully placed speakers, I doubt if you'd get too much good from 5.1 speakers in a dorm room. I agree with the advice to use your funds for a good 2.1 or stereo system.

If you buy stand-alone (regular cabinet) speakers, you will need some kind of amplification, which can be any stereo receiver, even an inexpensive older model. (non 5.1's can be found pretty readily). Plug your computer output into an AUX input of the receiver, speakers to output terminals and your're ready to rock.

Klipsch might have some iFi systems on the website, they are setup for iPod, but have an AUX jack you can plug your computer into. Two speakers plus a sub would crank pretty good

But not as good as Richard's LaScalas- man, those were THE speaker to own for college, big so they couldn't be stolen, you could use them for furniture, they would rock a lawn party at the quad, and with the folded horn design it was impossible to spill beer in or shove anything through the woofer. Practically indestructible!

I've got a Denon receiver, Chorus II mains, and over 17 cubic feet of

subwoofage with 1000W on tap for my college system. I need to upgrade

my SC-1 center, but at least I've got Marantz 940's and Heresy

surrounds to round out the 7.1 [H] You pretty much just have to learn how to live around the speakers.

I think a pair of Cornwalls would be a great direction to go. Get

yourself a beater used pair for real cheap (like $300) and then find

yourself a nice used Denon receiver for around $150. Your X-Fi has a

digital output so just run that into the digital input on your

receiver. The Denon is going to have a much better DAC. Try to find a

Denon model that has multichannel analog preouts in the back, which

will allow more flexibility with upgrades in the future. If you're

doing gaming, then you'll need to run the analog outputs into the

multichannel analog inputs on the receiver if you want to experience

true surround.

The other nice thing about a receiver is that you can upgrade to

surround sound at your heart's content. For gaming, you really don't

need anything super great...just enough to give you the spatial feel,

so you could look at any $5 garage sale deal. Heck, you could purchase

promedia satellites straight from the Klipsch website for like $20 each

or something like that. That'd only be another $100 on top of the receiver + cornwall purchase.

Doc,

fabulous system you've got together in there.

one thought about living with big speakers, I suppose one could put a door across the top of a pair of LaScalas to have a very nice desk/workspace.

Integrated audio furniture? There's a concept! Heresies for footrests?

Doc,

fabulous system you've got together in there.

one thought about living with big speakers, I suppose one could put a door across the top of a pair of LaScalas to have a very nice desk/workspace.

Integrated audio furniture? There's a concept! Heresies for footrests?

My dorm room was maybe 10x12. The funny thing is, yes I could imagine what it would have been like to have LaScalas in there!

I think that in a small room with a small budget, devoting the $400 from an entry level commercial sub into better mains is worth it. Even rf-3's or rf-35's with a receiver would kill any computer system and your only looking at $650. If you end up starving for bass, go diy