Problems At Audio Circles ? Anyone Else ?

ka7niq

I just got banned from there.

No big deal, I only went there for the VMPS forum anyway.

My "sin" was because I cut and pasted info from a US Patent in a thread I started on the VMPS Forum about Kapok Damping material for the VMPS RM 40's.

I got a PM from some JohnR or JohnK guy out of Australia, never identifying himself as a moderator, telling me he did not like my Avatar, and it was "against rules" to cut and paste information from another web site on Audio Circles.

I asked the guy IF he were a moderator, and IF he wasn't "to get a life".

Next thing I knew, I was banned, LOL

Like I said, I just went because I own a pair of older VMPS RM 40's.

VMPS owners are tweakers like Klipsch guys, sort of.

ALL of my 'sins' were in a PM discussion between what I THOUGHT was just an audiophile flaming me.

There was no way to identify the guy as a moderator.

I even asked him IF he was, and if not to 'get a life' ALL in a PM too.

Heck, I have basically told Roy Delgado off here and NOT got banned, LOL

Maybe that is why Klipsch commands respect, because they ALLOW other viewpoints.

You are right, I will not miss Audio Circles, and I do plan to write every manufacturer with a circle on there and Boycott them.

Maybe this unidentified moderator will get the message then ?

This is the only Forum worthy of my sarcasic and sometimes arrogant attitude...................EH !!!!!!!!!!

Oh...I dont know about that Buckey... I found a wonderful knitting & crocheting forum that should make you feel right at home...

[:o]

I did not get banned for my Avatar.

I have used that Avatar for over a year.

No one complained but this John K guy.

I later found out he is the OWNER of the board.

I THOUGHT I was on the VMPS Forum.

It says "VMPS Forum - John Casler and Brian Cheyney Moderators"

No where does it say JohnK Moderator.

Imagine if you will some NON Klipsch person coming on the Klipsch forum, sending you a PM atacking your Avatar ?

And never identifying himself as the Boss, LOL

Ya THINK you might tell him to 'get a life' ?

I THOUGHT that VMPS was in charge of their own ship.

Evidently, that is not the case !

If I were VMPS, I would be raising holy hell that one of my customers and frequent posters was kicked off MY forum for simply telling what he thought was a Flamer off in a Private Message.

I do not understand the arrangement manufacturers have with Audio Circles.

But, to me, it is like me renting a home, and having the freaking landlord come in MY house, and kicking out my guests.

RM40s are some seriously nice sounding speakers. Very smooth midrange. How long have you had yours?

-David

I bought mine Used locally.

Mine are the older ones with Spiral tweeters instead of the more modern FST tweeter.

Mine DO have the wonderful TRT caps.

I JUST purchased a set of new mid woofers and crossover caps from VMPS.

This is a wonderful upgrade, and ONLY 200 dollars plus caps.

The new midwoofer is more efficient, has better power handling, and even more X Max!

Plus, the new caps raise the crossover point on the mids a little, makes em even smoother.

I WAS a regular contributor to the VMPS forum, until Brians Landlord booted me.

I have been doing quite a bit of experimentation with different damping materials for the RM 40 VMPS speakers.

Brian sells Wool Damping as a low cost uppgrade.

I read about Kapok, and have hed really swell results with it in the RM 40's.

I have had my VMPS RM 40's for almost 2 years.

My best friend Mike also has a pair, and our mutual friend Kevin, who is also in Tampa has a pair.

And yes, the mids are ultra smooth, and IMHO even better with the Kapok.

Now, the wool that VMPS sells MAY be even better, I haven't tried it.

I was looking at the VMPS new speaker the V 60, have you seen it ?

It is a backloaded Horn, and looks super cool.

Quite reasonable too IMHO for what ya get.

There is a thread going on the VMPS forum about it with some awesome pics!

I used to go look at it and drool.

It has a monster sub system for it called a VLA.

I am thinking of getting a pair, but I must first sell my RM 40's and some other stuff.

I really don't know too much about VMPS speakers, other than hearing them on occassion at the dealer. I've heard the RM40s, RM30s and the Elixir models and have been impressed with each. I think the RM40s are right there with the Elixirs, but I don't have much "seat time" listening to either. I know that the dealer nearest me was talking about a material that Brian was using called "Black Hole" or something like that. (Maybe it was "Black wool?" lol) Anyway, they were raving about it, but then again, they also offer pretty high dollar interconnets and so forth which I don't put a lot of stock in, so I didn't pay too much attention about this product from VMPS. BTW, they just discontinued carrying vmps as their frustration has increased greatly with them over the past year or so. Unreliable, poor workmanship, etc. I'm sure there was more that went into their decision, but that was the short version told to me. Oh, I listened to a pair of 626 bookshelf speakers last week-they sounded nice.

-David

thank god ... there isn't a formal JBL forum ..

you wloulda bee executed for your comments on L-7 [:)]

I have both praised Roy Delgado here, and crucified him, yet he took it all in stride.

I spoke to the DESIGNER of the L 7 at length by phone, we talked for over an hour Duke!

I KNOW what the problems I hear in the L 7 are.

Wanna know ?

It will COST you, LOL

I met PWK as a boy of 15 in Detroit at Cobo Hall at the Detroit Audio Show, almost 40 years ago!

PWK and all his guys had BULLSHIT buttons on, scarcely hiding Pauls outspoken contempt for what he saw as BS.

Though PWK is no longer with us, I think his spirit lives on in this forum.

I am CERTAINLY no PWK, not even close.

But I do not like what I see as BS, especially when it is directed unfairly towards me.

Over at Audio Circles Duke, there are several "Manufacturers Forums", or SO I thought ?

I have on many occassions witnessed manufacturers invading each others forums with insults, threats, etc, etc, etc, LOL

Yet they ban me for a simple return insult to the owner of the board who insulted me first, and never even identified himself as a person of authority either.

And, all of this was in a Private Message too.

I guess it is OK for manufacturers to publicly invade each others forums, fight publicly, threaten each other publicly, etc ?

But Private message return insults are not allowed ?

Heck, IF I knew that, I would have had it out with the owner of the board publicly ?

Maybe I would still be around, huh ?

Back to the L 7 Duke.

The lower midrange coloration is NOT coming as it turn out from the 8 inch driver.

It is the TOP of the 12 inch woofer the designer thinks I am hearing.

The L 7 has a high 180 hz crossover between the 12 and 8 inch drivers a choice made for power handling.

He told me to check and be SURE that there was enough fiberglass in the woofer enclosure, and add some to get rid of the coloration.

I know what the right way is to damp the enclosures for all the drivers too!

I also know HE uses a different tweeter !'

Yep, the tweeter in the L7 is flawed, a new one was developed, but never made it into production.

He told me he will contact his old friends at JBL, and see if he can find me a pair!

I know more then anyone else about L 7 Duke, except the designer himself.

There was gonna be an electronic crossovered version too, it never made it to production either!

Right now, believe it or not, I am playing with some old POLK Audio RT 2000P's I picked up used cheap.

One had what I THOUGHT was a blown tweeter.

It turned out to be a blown crossover.

I called Polk, and they ONLY had the EUROPEAN version of the crossover in stock.

I asked what the difference was, and was informed it would be more "European Sounding".

That is, smoother, and more mellow.

So, I ordered a pair of european crossovers, slapped em in, and have been listening all night.

VERY MUSICAL Duke, had me tappin my toes watching Tampa Beat New England in exhibition football.

I thijnk I am gonna try and find some Cornwall 2's Duke, as DJK suggested ?

He was right on IMHO in his suggestion of the original Forte's.

i liked those, just too small LOOKING for my room.

WISH I had the CF 4's back too Duke.

I KNOW now that I might have fixed the problems I heard in them with damping .....

So much to learn Duke, so little time left ...

We are all getting OLD

There are limits to insults even on this forum....although at times we take it to the edge..and get taken to the woodshed by Amy....very few get thrown off...But the Audiocircles can be dictorial....The St Louis site is the most boreing and i blame the moderator for his lack of good leadership....I remember dissing his home system and he went ballistics.....Even attacking me on another Audio Circle site...I thought he crossed the line but the other moderators would not correct him....So i just left the Circle forums...I have better things to do than pissing into the wind with narrow minded people like that...At least on this site arguments can be constructive and educational,,,,I dont mind getting chewed on here...Ive learned alot here.

I like my Cornwall 2's ...

the tractrix mid horn is a big improvement

I LOVE my Forte 2's

DJK likes the old Forte's, and suggested them to me.

Never heard the new Forte's Duke.

He also likes the Cornwall 2's, and I am looking for a Local Pair as we speak.

Really miss the CF 4's Duke.

IMHO it is NOT the horn needing damping, but the box itself.

Many "problems" I heard from them I NOW recognize as damping material and back wave related.

I THINK, knowing what I know now, that I could have improved them!

Voicing a speaker is a VERY time consuming process Duke.

One must listen for HOURS on much varied material.

Helps to have a CD Changer with 200 Discs, LOL

I have "The Brutal 50" Duke, almost 50 different CD'S I know like the back of my hand.

VERY few speakers make it past 25 of these CD's before problems show up.

Good Lord Duke, I swear these old Polk RT 2000P's with the european crossovers are almost w/o glaring problems!

They are very "Old School Voiced".'

That is, warm and almost overly rich in the lower midrange, with perhaps a TOUCH of BBC Dip.

I have been able to ALMOST listen to ALL 50 CD's w/o leaving the room!

They also image pretty well too, and just flat sound like music!

Not as revealing as many Klipsch speakers, but musical in their own way.

I will never be happy with just ONE speaker, maybe that is why I am still single, LOL

NOOOOOOOOOO....!!!!

no Kapok filler in Cornwall 's ..

the "woody Knock /" is part of the Sound ..[:)]

Now Duke, following THAT Logic, anything or any mod you do is not part of the original sound, right ?

So why damp your horns, change caps, etc, etc.

I probably would not use Kapok as filler in a big speaker since it does not stay put too well.

I would probably use sheet fiberglass or Dacron Pads in the CF 4's IF I still had em.