Trends Audio Amplifier

bdc

Hi,

I purchased the T 10.1 a few months ago let it 'cook' for a while (about 30hrs). I thought it's tone could do with enhancements so I played around with a number of combinations of caps and the pot. I ended up with about 2.3uf (2.2uf Sonicap and 0.1uf Hovland). This, to my ears, makes a big difference giving it more clarity, better imagery (front to back) and a tighter bottom end. The one thing I liked about this little fella is it's bottom end. By the way, throw away the transformer that it comes with and use a 12v car battery and you will never look back. The bottom end is awesome! I have compared it with the Altmann BYOB amp and it does compare favourably. The Altmann has more punch and boundless energy. I use the amps with my '04 KHORNS. I have also used the T 10.1 with a couple preamps but the pot does not do a bad job. Using a preamp (the T10.1 in amp mode) will give you more gain. All up I think the investment is one of the bargains in the hi fi world which can sometimes be filled with BS.

Cheers

Anybody here has notice the Trends 10.1 has almost nothing over 10kHz ?

My friend and I tested our Trends with a SPL meter and the results were the same with both. Cymbals do not sound very natural...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.

Don't get me wrong, the Trends are very impressive little amps, but I beleive they do have flaws.

Anybody here has notice the Trends 10.1 has almost nothing over 10kHz ?

My friend and I tested our Trends with a SPL meter and the results were the same with both. Cymbals do not sound very natural...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.

Don't get me wrong, the Trends are very impressive little amps, but I beleive they do have flaws.

Something has bothered me about the trends since day one I just chalked it up to being solid state.

seti,

I installed the audiomagius tweakit II several months ago and liked the results. My Scott 222C has been sitting idle ever since. I think the trends has a better low end and clearer mids. The soldering was a little tricky due to the cramped space. My biggest problem was the auricaps supplied in my kit had the stranded wire leads which were too large for the circuit board holes. I believe the new kits have the solid wires so that installation should be easier. The audiomagus forum is a good resource if you have questions during the upgrade.

Have fun... I will be interested in your impressions of the upgrade.

--Ken

Cool I'll let you know.

No one on this forum can hear over 10kHz.Stick out tongue

Actually, I think a few can, but they stay quiet about it lest they be seen as boastful.

2 or so years ago with a signal generator at Ye Olde NOS Valves Lab I could hear about 14,300 Hz.

I think I will never try it again for avoiding a reminder I am aging poorly in some respects at 47 years.

Well I just did my first audio mod. I did the mod I from audiomagus which replaces 6 caps and adds a heatsink to the tripath chip. The auricaps where pretty big and I was suprised they fit in the case. I must say I was stunned that the thing actually powered on and played music again as this was the first time to solder on something I wanted to work again. To early to say if the mod actually made a noticable difference just amazed that the bloody thing worked. I really wish I had a desoldering iron for working on the circuit board as the braid was useless in this application.

I am considering the subline T-amp sub connector it is only $60.

fini wrote "BTW, I guess Lisa still has pauln's Trends."

She either really likes it or has forgotten about having it... or maybe she broke it and is hiding out?

There is continuing interest in this little thing; I'd like to see it come back into forum circulation.

fini wrote "BTW, I guess Lisa still has pauln's Trends."

She either really likes it or has forgotten about having it... or maybe she broke it and is hiding out?

There is continuing interest in this little thing; I'd like to see it come back into forum circulation.

I think she said the Trends developed a hum problem [:|] . Maybe she sent it to Craig.