Anniversary Khorns

ssh

To be delivered tomorrow to a friend's house to be run with Macs and a LaS center. Carpet will be laid in the new listening room in the morning, & Custom Audio from Little Rock will be there in the afternoon with speakers (and I think, a new Mac for the Khorns-the LaS is stuck with the "old" Mac.) I'm invited. Do you think I'll show up?[:)][:)][:)]

SSH

Wow didn't know Custom Audio could be so helpful. My last couple experiences their over the years drove me to audiogon and ebay. It is good to see a pair Anniversary Khorns in town. Have a good time be sure to take some pics. Very cool indeed.

congrats.

I don't have a full understanding as to what all the premium upgrades are with the 60's, but the sound is more than just false corners and AK-4's can account for.

Although he has Khorns & several LaS,he's only seen Anniversary pictures that were given to him on a Hope visit to the museum.I think he would have slept better tonight if I hadn't seen them in Hope at the pilgrimage, and tonight, described the blackgrandpiano finish to him, after he told me he was getting them tomorrow.

SSH

I don't have a full understanding as to what all the premium upgrades are with the 60's, but the sound is more than just false corners and AK-4's can account for.

It must be those nice polypropylene caps they put in the networks.:)

• Moderators

congrats.

They just sound better cuz they are so darn pretty![;)]

Oh yes, I almost forgot....tell your friend congratulations!

"It must be those nice polypropylene caps they put in the networks.:)"

I need to take some photo's...I don't think these have polypropylene caps in the signal path...it would be good to know.

"It must be those nice polypropylene caps they put in the networks.:)"

I need to take some photo's...I don't think these have polypropylene caps in the signal path...it would be good to know.

http://www.partsexpress.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm

Those are made by the same people that make caps for Bennic and Dayton Audio. The AK-4 definitely uses Mylars.

I'll have to wait until Sunday to see/hear/take pics. Carpet guys didn't show, & he has family stuff going on. New Mac 275 for the Khorns, & center Las gets the 240 he's been using on the other Khorns. New HDTV, but I don't know what, yet. The new room is 27x 25.

SSH

Dean

whats you take on the caps on these .........these are AL-4's but they use the same caps as in the one piece AK-4s. 

Seti posted a picture of the top section of the two piece AK-4's used in the 60's.

I personally wouldn't call Dayton caps premium grade.........the term used in the literature for the 60's crossover network.

post-22082-13819343689636_thumb.jpg

Those are metallized polyesters. I would consider Daytons a good step up. While some of use wouldn't consider them "premium grade" when compared to other polypropylene types, they can be considered "premium grade" because of the polypropylene film -- which is superior to polyester. Entry level caps are typically built using recylced polypropylene, and the film layer is much thinner then what you find with the better caps. There are a couple of entry level brands that use virgin film, but the film layer is still relatively thin when compared to the costlier brands.

What a treat, to be able to share a friend's enjoyment of an awesome new sound system. We listened to twenty or so classic rock, blues, kinda country (Allison Moorer), and classical cuts. The Anniversary Khorns are 25' apart, with a 1980 LaScala center. Another pr of Khorns will be in an adjacent bedroom, which is about the same room size.

As those who have heard any new Heritage speakers know, the soundstage seems exponentially increased. I listen to Khorns 13 ft apart, so hearing the Anniversary edition at 25 ft, with a LaS center was...well...heavenly. The sonics will be much improved after carpet is installed, but this was a FUN hour-and-a-half.

I'll try to attach pics.

SSH

post-11636-13819343837046_thumb.jpg

What a treat, to be able to share a friend's enjoyment of an awesome new sound system. We listened to twenty or so classic rock, blues, kinda country (Allison Moorer), and classical cuts. The Anniversary Khorns are 25' apart, with a 1980 LaScala center.  Another pr of Khorns will be in an adjacent bedroom, which is about the same room size.

As those who have heard any new Heritage speakers know, the soundstage seems exponentially increased. I listen to Khorns 13 ft apart, so hearing the Anniversary edition at 25 ft, with a LaS center was...well...heavenly. The sonics will be much improved after carpet is installed, but this was a FUN hour-and-a-half.

I'll try to attach pics.

SSH    

OK a spare pair of KHORNS!!!! I am so jealous. Let us know how it sounds with the carpet down. I know how a live room can be a bit of a bummer.

Do you have a pic of the khorns is action?