OT: Cutest Puppy

ARPRINCE

• Moderators

Here's Otis as a pup. Saw him at the shelter, brought him home. Next day got him to vet for shots. The NEXT day went BACK to the vet and found out he had parvo-virus.

One week in isolation and about $1,200 later... he made it through. (a year later he contracted Blasto-Mycosis, also a deadly disease)

I always loved Oddie, I was bummed when you bumped him on the Avtar. I am sorry if I missed it, but what is the story with O's Blasto-Mycosis, has he beaten that too I hope?

Travis

I always loved Oddie, I was bummed when you bumped him on the Avtar. I am sorry if I missed it, but what is the story with O's Blasto-Mycosis, has he beaten that too I hope?

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/blstomyc.html

As I understand it, blastomycosis is basically some kind of fungus in the lungs. He had been short of breath & gasping (think emphazima) for a while and we took to vet. Of course, THERE he acted fine. Got him home, did it again. We started seeing a pattern of it flaring up moreso at night when WE were quiet and able to hear him.

Back to the vet (total of 3 times)...nothing... home... again...

BACK to the vet and this time I told them they were going to keep him a couple days

Well, they didn't find anything conclusive but did a chest X-ray. As I understand it, the Xray just accidently showed one of his lungs. One of the classic symptoms of blasto is inflammation of the air sacks in the lungs. When that happens, if you do an Xray, the lungs will look a bit like christmas lights in fog...meaning, a lot of little bright spots (each inflamed air sack)

He was not to this stage yet which mean we (wife) caught it VERY early. Once the Dr saw the faint glow of the airsacks he came to his conclusion of blastomycosis

Was kind of funny as about 6 months prior, we'd spent the $1,200 or so on his parvo stay (at a different vet for a variety of reasons).

So, this vet (the one I consider "my" vet) says... "well, this can be a long drawn out process to cure him...he IS curable but it can also be expensive... he'll have to take one of these pills each day and each pill costs between 3-5 dollars each. He'll have to take these for 60 days (or something like that)"

I did a quick calculation & actually laughed.. I said "Doc, we just got done spending $1,200 on him the first day / week we got him... i"m not afraid to spend another $400 over a month!!

My understanding (in spite of some of what the article says), blasto is going to kill most dogs IF left untreated. It would be a bad way to go...again, think advanced emphazima. Parvo, as nasty and disgusting as it is, at least kills a dog very quickly. Blasto strikes me as more insidious BUT curable.

So, Otis has survived both parvo and now blasto. I was looking for my old avatar of him, it might be on my pc at work but it's a pic of him as a puppy with a "tattoo" on his arm saying "bite me parvo" since he survived it. (it might have said parvo sucks, I don't remember)

I'll post it if / when I find it

• Moderators

Glad to hear Otis made it out of the woods on that deal too. I am familar with blaso now that you said it was a fungus. When we took Malcolm to A&M and looked at the radiographs they said it was either cancer or vary advanced fungal infection, there was no way to tell for sure without a biopsy. They also said at that stage the treatment for an advanced fungal infection was the same at cancer, chemotherapy that ends up almost killing the dog in order to kill off the fungus. Very, very poor prognosis. We had the necropsy done, which was ruled out, I would have died if we had failed to notice breathing problems and let it go.

Moral of the story, if your dog lives near a wooded area, starts wheezing or having other breathing problems you should have them checked out right away. It was great you did all of that follow up until they caught it on Oddie.

I am really glad to hear he is doing well.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...